Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-01-2013, 04:39 PM   #76
viverrid OP
not dead yet

Oddometer: 30,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrnelson View Post
....would be thankful for a wife who actually likes to ride (mine doesn't want anything to do with being on a motorcycle).
She also likes to ride as passenger but wants her own bike too.

She's said she sometime learns more by riding as passenger, sort of learn by example/observation rather than being given instructions. Things she's said after riding as passenger behind me:

After riding through town and going around a city block: "I can't believe you can make such square turns!" Helped her to realize what's possible.

After riding on some high speed sweepers: "I can't believe how little effort it takes you to get the bike to turn!" Reviewed countersteering and peg weighting.

After demonstration of high performance acceleration after finding us first vehicle at a traffic light with a 55 mph section ahead of us: "I can't believe how fast you shifted, did you skip some gears or something?" Again, showing what's possible.

If newbs just ride by themselves, well seat time is good, but sometimes they don't realize what they could be doing differently/better. It's like the pilots' saying along the lines of "he doesn't have 1,000 hrs. of experience, he just has the same hour 1,000 times".
Advanced pancreatic cancer found 04/2010. Have outlived +/- 97% of patients with this diagnosis, but 08/2013 cancer now in liver, vascular system and lungs with 20+ lung tumors. Sick/weak sometimes, not riding much. No more treatments & now under Hospice care.
viverrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 04:46 PM   #77
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 10,040
I am sick of this jerk and his posting about his wife. I went on one of his club's rides last season. After his constant posts this year, I will never spend a nickle on his club's rides again. The Berkshire trail people are dead to me.

Pantah screwed with this post 09-01-2013 at 05:03 PM
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 04:47 PM   #78
joexr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by viverrid View Post
She also likes to ride as passenger but wants her own bike too.

She's said she sometime learns more by riding as passenger, sort of learn by example/observation rather than being given instructions. Things she's said after riding as passenger behind me:

After riding through town and going around a city block: "I can't believe you can make such square turns!" Helped her to realize what's possible.

After riding on some high speed sweepers: "I can't believe how little effort it takes you to get the bike to turn!" Reviewed countersteering and peg weighting.

After demonstration of high performance acceleration after finding us first vehicle at a traffic light with a 55 mph section ahead of us: "I can't believe how fast you shifted, did you skip some gears or something?" Again, showing what's possible.

If newbs just ride by themselves, well seat time is good, but sometimes they don't realize what they could be doing differently/better. It's like the pilots' saying along the lines of "he doesn't have 1,000 hrs. of experience, he just has the same hour 1,000 times".
Good point at the end there that most of the high mileage , but little experience experts don't get.
joexr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 06:37 PM   #79
glasswave
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 925
Quote:
She said later, weeks later when she was finally willing to talk about it, that it never occurred to her that she should let up on the brake before turning onto the dirt. She drove cars for too much of her life and she drove the bike into the corner like she would have driven her car in (so what if the front tires scrubbed),
IMHO
With all due respect, after reading your post (and your other threads on the subject) it doesn't sound like she's much of a car driver either. To make a sharp right from pavement into gravel under hard braking is not a very good idea either. It's a good way to end up in the ditch or perhaps having to buy old farmer McDonald a new fence.

Let's face it, some (perfectly intelligent, talented and athletic) people are simply not very good at operating large machines. If you've ever worked operating big farm or construction equipment, you'd know the type. They come on the job as FNG's and in the first few weeks have made several small and perhaps a few audacious f___-ups, before everyone starts getting nervous and the foreman explains that they are simply not cut out for (truck, combine, cat, crane, grader, etc) driver and everyone breaths a sigh of relief. Most of these people still drive, and they are the folks we are always telling stories about here in perfect line. Usually they are fine, but when confronted with unusual or difficult situations or conditions they may do illogical things with their vehicles and simply don't have the talent/skill to handle their vehicles in such emergencies/conditions.

In Utah, you see it every time it snows. People going too fast, too slow, using their brakes/steering/gas pedal improperly etc... Funny thing is, they often don't realize how bad they are driving and seem to think everyone else is just as out of control as they are. They often tend to compensate w/AWD car and or snow tires, when really (that just makes them more dangerous), they should be taking a class or getting off the road.

I am not saying that your wife needs to quit riding if she's starting to enjoy it, but as her leader and mentor you need to adjust your riding/routes to keep her in safe situations. Essentially avoid anything that's has much likelihood of of a difficult situation, especially with traffic or more experienced riders. Also, lead with exceptional care, for example you may want to stop on a gravel road when you come to a down hill and discuss the sloping turn at the bottom etc. As you mentioned you could have full stopped or passed and made a u-turn to make the gravel road. Finally, be very wary as she develops confidence and wants to start riding in city traffic or other somewhat dangerous situations.

Anyways, it seems that she's doing worlds better than last summer, keep up the good work and never forget to keep reminding her of the progress she is making. Good work!

And don't give up, I once had a GF that was determined to become a whitewater kayaker, she would swim all the time even tho' she had learned the roll and was always nervous as hell (even on class II). I tried to steer her into an inflatable, but she wanted nothing to do with it. So we stayed on class II and kept ingraining the skills, last I heard she'd become a decent class III/IV paddler.
Peruvian Andes (3 months)
N Chile - Medellin, Colombia (3 months) Cartegena, CO to N Chile (3 months)

glasswave screwed with this post 09-01-2013 at 06:53 PM
glasswave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 07:23 PM   #80
glasswave
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantah View Post
I am sick of this jerk and his posting about his wife. I went on one of his club's rides last season. After his constant posts this year, I will never spend a nickle on his club's rides again. The Berkshire trail people are dead to me.
Well then, why do you bother to read his posts? As much as you would seem to like to, you don't own the forum and you don't get to decide who posts or about what.

So unless you have something constructive to add to the discussion, why don't you quit insulting people?

glasswave screwed with this post 09-02-2013 at 10:33 AM Reason: edited to soften language
Old 09-01-2013, 09:00 PM   #81
tokyoklahoma
75%has been25%wanabe

Oddometer: 1,374
Talking maybe

I am in the maybe camp, on whether or not ABS would have made enough difference in available traction to complete the turn.

People who have learned (ingrained, muscle memory etc.) that the proper reaction to the front washing out is to gas it, often don't remember that a noob has the opposite natural reaction.

As for why she gets hurt when she falls and you don't, that's simple. You know how to fall and she doesn't.
IDK what your backgrounds are athletically, but you may have participated in a sport (judo, football, soccer) that taught you how to fall. Even growing up on dirt bikes does a pretty good job of it.
Which brings me to my last point. If you are riding on dirt, especially if you are learning on dirt, you are going to fall. It's a given, you see it on this website over and over. Whenever number of crashes are discussed everybody says dirt doesn't count.
Maybe she has osteoporosis issues, and that is causing the breaks. Or maybe some judo classes are in order to learn how to fall.
Or maybe she just has to accept that the risk of a break is the result of an error in judgement, and that riding is worth it. We all are still learning, and if we are honest with ourselves we have made that decision.

Maybe.

But unfortunately you can't do it for her. As a husband it is hard to accept that sometimes when we are trying to help, we are actually making things worse.
Old 09-02-2013, 02:15 AM   #82
viverrid OP
not dead yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by glasswave View Post
Anyways, it seems that she's doing worlds better than last summer, keep up the good work
She has DEFINITELY been doing much better. It was very frustrating for both of us when she took over the XT last year that she was struggling to do the same things she used to do previously. Sometimes even on the very same routes that she used to take. She used to ride better than that. It was like she forgot how to ride. Maybe she did.
Advanced pancreatic cancer found 04/2010. Have outlived +/- 97% of patients with this diagnosis, but 08/2013 cancer now in liver, vascular system and lungs with 20+ lung tumors. Sick/weak sometimes, not riding much. No more treatments & now under Hospice care.
Old 09-02-2013, 02:31 AM   #83
viverrid OP
not dead yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by tokyoklahoma View Post
As for why she gets hurt when she falls and you don't, that's simple. You know how to fall and she doesn't.
Yup. Although she is athletic, as with most women in her age group, her main sports were non-contact, tennis and swimming. Though she did ski for many years and fell down a lot doing that (she quit skiing after knee surgery). From the skiing I thought she would have had better falling reactions.

Right after this crash she said to me "I remembered how you said not to put my hand out" so at least she retained that. This time she fell onto her armored forearm and elbow pads instead on an outstretched hand. She didn't have as much as a scratch or bruise on her upper body.

Unfortunately the reason she had a leg injury is that the swingarm landed on top of her boot and pinned it to the ground. That's how she was still lying when everything came to a stop. She had a little forward momentum when she hit the ground and her body wanted to roll to absorb it, but she couldn't roll because the swingarm was pinning her foot.

The direction of her injury was the foot rotated inward in relation to her body. Because her body wanted to rotate outward but the foot was pinned. This was an unfortunate random outcome, if she had separated from the bike more she would likely have just dusted herself off and rode away.
Old 09-02-2013, 04:25 AM   #84
Jim Moore
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,522
I get the idea you guys are pretty well off. Throw some money at the issue. Send her to some riding schools. BMW runs a school down in South Carolina. There's a school called Rawhyde in SoCal that people talk highly of. Colin Edwards runs a school in Texas where they ride 125s in the dirt all day long. Do a weekend with Keith Code at the California Superbike School. Nick Iaentasch (sp?) runs the Yamaha Champions School in Vegas and at Miller. It's supposedly awesome. Make a vacation out of it.

She will learn things in all of them, even if the school itself is not exactly her cup of tea.

Pay the lady, PirateJohn, you thieving piece of garbage.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
Jim Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 06:15 AM   #85
WVhillbilly
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,496
Quote:
She used to ride better than that. It was like she forgot how to ride. Maybe she did.
Bingo!

This is my wife exactly.
I sold her bike before she hurt herself, it was the best thing to do.

Some of us just are not meant to ride motorcycles.
WVhillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 09:30 AM   #86
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,629
You said she took the MSF class, then said she took the dirt bike class. Did she take the standard MSF class? Sounds like she had a temporary lapse of memory and forgot the "slow, look, press and roll" technique. It happens with more than a few riders. Suddenly braking hard and turning sure didn't help matters any.

This is pounded into the students head during class. Braking in corners=not good. Before I get some idiot arguing that is BS, remember, we're talking beginner riders, not advanced/expert technique.

If she still has her MSF class book, she should re-read the book...and maybe enroll in another class...and not follow you so closely(or at all) if you're going to be making sudden moves.

Riding a motorcycle requires 120% of your attention. Having the slightest distraction, be it on the road(not watching where you're going) or in your head(daydreaming) can be disastrous/deadly.

IMO its best to let the less experienced rider lead so they can go at THEIR pace and not trying to keep up with the faster rider(s)...which for some reason a lot of new riders try to do.

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 11:06 AM   #87
SgtDuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,963
Quote:
Well then, why do you bother to read his posts? As much as you would seem to like to, you don't own the forum and you don't get to decide who posts or about what.

So unless you have something constructive to add to the discussion, why don't you quit insulting people?
Maybe because it's not the first time we have to endure his endless posts where his wife can't learn from her errors (or where he doesn't help her with his attitude) and also where he doesn't really seek for advices but only wants to argue endlessly.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=808963
Old 09-02-2013, 05:52 PM   #88
glasswave
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtDuster View Post
Maybe because it's not the first time we have to endure his endless posts where his wife can't learn from her errors (or where he doesn't help her with his attitude) and also where he doesn't really seek for advices but only wants to argue endlessly.
Why do you have to endure them? When I come accross a thread that I have no interest in, I simply ignore it.
Old 09-02-2013, 06:12 PM   #89
SgtDuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,963
Quote:
Why do you have to endure them? When I come accross a thread that I have no interest in, I simply ignore it.
Faith!

Edit: Nevermind, I think you're right. I'll stop reading viverrid's threads, it's not worth it

There're things that never change I guess.

SgtDuster screwed with this post 09-02-2013 at 08:14 PM
SgtDuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 06:31 PM   #90
Wraith Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,060
Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtDuster View Post
the general wisdom in here
ROFL

Really, if you don't like that one doesn't take everything serious some guy on an internet forum says, without questioning it, leave the internet.
It's waaaay better to discuss than to believe every bullshit.