Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-31-2013, 06:53 AM   #1156
GI_JO_NATHAN
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,963
No one is addressing the fact that he said the service writer didn't even know what his driving habits were... So none of that means anything.
When they regurgitate a bunch of BS without even listening to you, it's proof that it's BS. Whether it "could possibly" be true in some situations or not.
Someone quote me so he can see my response
Quote:
Originally Posted by POLLOCK28 (XDTALK.com)
From what I understand from frequenting various forums you are handling this critisim completely wrong. You are supposed to get bent out of shape and start turning towards personal attacks. Get with the program!
GI_JO_NATHAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 08:26 AM   #1157
1911fan
Master of the Obvious

Oddometer: 2,585
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sic Semper Tyrannis View Post
SO can you make any money service writing and be ethical?
Yes. I've been doing it since Day One, because that's how I do shit. Ethically. I've been doing it in this area since the early 90s and am working with the kids of some of my earlier customers.
If you tell people the truth, you don't have to remember what you told them. There are service writers locally who sell $1400 30K services on new Subarus, I'm not one of them. I make a decent living, and when I bump into customers at the store or wherever, we often stop and shoot the breeze. I don't have to dodge one aisle over and hide behind the canned peas, and I like it that way.
I'm sure I could make more money hammering people.

1911fan

Sometimes the light to see your way forward is provided by the bridge burning behind you.
1911fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 11:03 AM   #1158
Cogswell
Spudly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,915
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jerk View Post
haha service advisors don't know the answers to those kinds of questions; most of them barely know how engines work.
FYI I turned wrenches for 12 years prior to locking my tool box and getting behind the counter. Most customers appreciated the fact that I could explain problems with them in a manner they could understand.

Mike
The good thing is, your damn motor can't read. If it says oil on the container, it's pretty much OK to dump in there.... ED.
Cogswell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 12:15 PM   #1159
100mpg
This sentance intent

Oddometer: 16,570
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911fan View Post
If you tell people the truth, you don't have to remember what you told them.
1911fan
Seems pretty simple doesn't it? Thats how I live my life and conduct my work ethics.
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-TALK (8255). DSI #694
100mpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 03:18 PM   #1160
PFFOG
Richard Alps-aholic

Oddometer: 2,021
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911fan View Post
Yes. I've been doing it since Day One, because that's how I do shit. Ethically. I've been doing it in this area since the early 90s and am working with the kids of some of my earlier customers.
If you tell people the truth, you don't have to remember what you told them. There are service writers locally who sell $1400 30K services on new Subarus, I'm not one of them. I make a decent living, and when I bump into customers at the store or wherever, we often stop and shoot the breeze. I don't have to dodge one aisle over and hide behind the canned peas, and I like it that way.
I'm sure I could make more money hammering people.

1911fan
That was my MO for 20 years, small dealership so we grew exponentially. In five years became the largest Saab franchise in upstate NY and the owner spent zilch on advertising, sales staff was the same, straight shooters, took transaction a-z, none of this pass the customer off to finance etc. All word of mouth. We had people trading other high line cars in just to do business with us.

95% of our customers would give us carte blanche when they came in for service, many were docs, lawyers business execs etc, and said rather than bother them just do what it needed. Most cars never saw another repair shop either, we did all the work, including selling them tires!!! You can be very efficient if the mechanic does not have to diagnose, estimate, and wait for approval, rather just do it.

That was until the Mega dealership took us over, and started screwing with the way we did business, I left, telling them I was raised too honest to work for them.

Good On Ya, for being a ray of hope amongst the sharks and charlatans!

Richard
PFFOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 07:05 PM   #1161
justafurnaceman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 766
Stopped by Gateway BMW of St Louis checking out the bikes and inquired about the HP4 and HP4 Comp. I was told that there was 1 more spot for each if I wanted to put down a deposit (the wife was thankful that I left the checkbook home). I asked about the price and they quoted what they thought that it would be also saying that I was going to pay MSRP and not a cent more. The owner came over to chat and made it a point to say it again that he made enough money selling those bikes at MSRP and that there wasn't any need for charging people more like other dealerships.

He then told a story of a Porsche dealership trying to do make him pay more on a $119,000 car. He handed back the keys and walked out the door.

He also said that he had the S1000RR up to 157 mph in Illinois (He's a white haired older gentleman).
Old 09-02-2013, 02:02 AM   #1162
Salzig
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 241
Some years ago at the (former) Ducati/Cagiva/MV Agusta/Husqvarna dealership in my town.

customer: Listen to the noise my engine it's making

dealer: You need new crankshaft and bearings

Customer then tried another (small) shop, owner and mechanic the same person (and a good friend).

customer: Listen to the noise my engine it's making

The mechanic just tightened the engine/frame bolts. Noise gone, no charge.

A bit OT.
I'm always surpised by the oil changes interval you are reporting.
Here in Europe (at least in Italy) for new cars, tightest change intervals are 15000km (~9500mi), normal intervals are 25000km (15500mi). Diesel or gasoline doesn't count.
Last service on my car, a Suzuki SX4 with 15000km, the dealer didn't even changed the oil, as the oil pollution meter on the dash said it would have lasted another ~20000km.

"A donkey! A donkey! My kingdom for a donkey!"
Salzig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 04:04 AM   #1163
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,476
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salzig View Post
A bit OT.
Here in Europe (at least in Italy) for new cars, tightest change intervals are 15000km (~9500mi), normal intervals are 25000km (15500mi). Diesel or gasoline doesn't count.
Last service on my car, a Suzuki SX4 with 15000km, the dealer didn't even changed the oil, as the oil pollution meter on the dash said it would have lasted another ~20000km.
How many miles do you expect from your cars / engines?

We've had a number of different makes and models (some American, some Japanese) that seem to have a good chance of making it 350,000 miles, some 500,000 miles, on the original engine.

I don't know what Italy's standards and laws are, but in places like Japan it really doesn't matter - they aren't allowed to keep their cars and trucks to too high of mileages anyway, so I'm sure they do longer oil change intervals as well.
their motorcycles
." --
RyanR
Mambo Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 04:28 AM   #1164
PFFOG
Richard Alps-aholic

Oddometer: 2,021
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salzig View Post
A bit OT.

Once I went synthetic back in the 80's I changed the oil in my cars about every 15K miles. And I ran the crap out of them, 2 liter turbos, that I had running with water/alcohol injection so I could run close to 28psi boost, putting down in the neighborhood of 300 hp without detonation. Later years they also pulled my 6x10 enclosed trailer with 3 motorcycles at times, would run hours at 5-7 lbs boost, that is aircraft duty!

And all three of them were retired at close to 300K miles, not due to mechanical issues, but rust as I live 20 miles from one of the worlds largest salt mines and they spread salt inches thick when it gets slippery.

Richard
PFFOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 06:24 AM   #1165
WVhillbilly
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,258
Quote:
Originally Posted by justafurnaceman View Post
Stopped by Gateway BMW of St Louis checking out the bikes and inquired about the HP4 and HP4 Comp. I was told that there was 1 more spot for each if I wanted to put down a deposit (the wife was thankful that I left the checkbook home). I asked about the price and they quoted what they thought that it would be also saying that I was going to pay MSRP and not a cent more. The owner came over to chat and made it a point to say it again that he made enough money selling those bikes at MSRP and that there wasn't any need for charging people more like other dealerships.

He then told a story of a Porsche dealership trying to do make him pay more on a $119,000 car. He handed back the keys and walked out the door.

He also said that he had the S1000RR up to 157 mph in Illinois (He's a white haired older gentleman).

When I went to the BMW dealer in Miami......they didn't tell me anything.
Because no one would talk to me. At all. Not a greeting. No "can I help you"

Nothing. Not even after I sat on a new GS.

So I left.
Nice looking store tho.
WVhillbilly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 07:05 AM   #1166
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,476
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVhillbilly View Post

So I left.
Nice looking store tho.
Believe it or not, this is the chief complaint of even the car and truck buyers who end up at my store after traveling from Miami-Dade.

Inevitably I always ask why they would travel so far to buy a car when, 1.) they live in Miami-Dade county and we're actually in northern Broward county, and 2.) they must have passed 10 dealerships that sell the same brand I do.

Their answer, nearly every time, has been that the sales staff and dealerships of Miami-Dade were either so rude and pushy, or so unhelpful (and I've got to guess it's that some dealership staff down there just don't speak English well is part of the issue as well) (I know I wish I spoke English and Portuguese - I'd be far more effective as a saleman).

The other percentage of people who travel this far are just those who know our reputation for getting people financed. I guess word spreads amongst those who are prone to forget to make payments or those who have had a car repossessed in the past?

I really don't know. I do know that people come from too far away in the counties to just claim it's because we're nice to them, lol, but a large part of them do.
their motorcycles
." --
RyanR
Mambo Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 07:15 AM   #1167
Dave in Wi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,899
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVhillbilly View Post

So I left.
Nice looking store tho.
I had a similar experience at Team Triumph here in Wisconsin a few years ago. It was late summer on a Friday afternoon. I was really interested in the new Tiger 800 and I heard they were very willing to give test rides. So I showed up with my gear.

Walked into the showroom and there were no other customers, just a woman doing some paperwork behind the counter. She didn't say anything when I walked in, which I thought was a little odd, but whatever...

I looked around at gear and bikes until I came to the 800. Looked it over in detail, got on t see how it felt, etc. it became obvious that the woman behind the counter was purposefully ignoring me. So I decided to see how long it would take before she would say anything. I continued to look at the bike, get on & off, etc. for 45 minutes. That's as long as I could take it as it ceased to be amusing. I left, and walked by the counter on my way out as she very seriously kept her head down & shuffled papers. I actually wondered if I had walked in while they were closed, I looked but didn't see any hours posted as I left. If I was seriously considering buying the bike I would have said something to her. Weird encounter to say the least.
1988 DT50
"Daddy, it's five o'clock sometime!"
Dave in Wi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 08:11 AM   #1168
WVhillbilly
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,258
Made the same mistake as I did, should have had $100 bills falling from your pockets when you walked in.

I would have thought sitting on the bike that had a "don't sit on me" sign would have done it. But no.

Several sales guys there when I was there, no other customers.

On the other hand, Darren at Euro Cycles in Wexford, PA is great.
WVhillbilly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 08:22 AM   #1169
Salzig
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo Dave View Post
How many miles do you expect from your cars / engines?

We've had a number of different makes and models (some American, some Japanese) that seem to have a good chance of making it 350,000 miles, some 500,000 miles, on the original engine.

I don't know what Italy's standards and laws are, but in places like Japan it really doesn't matter - they aren't allowed to keep their cars and trucks to too high of mileages anyway, so I'm sure they do longer oil change intervals as well.
In Italy there are no laws about mileage limits for cars and trucks. AFAIK neither in other European countries.
My car has a Fiat engine (no kidding). The same 2.0 liters, direct injected, turbodiesel, Multijet® unit equipped on many Fiat, AlfaRomeo, Lancia cars, and on many Fiat and Citroën commercial vans (Citroën is a french brand, I don't know if it's known in the USA).
Some versions have up to 170 HP, mine has 135 HP.
Commercial vans normally reach the mileage you said, I believe a car can too.

At my actual mileage per year in the cage, I will reach 350,000 miles approximatively in 2080, so I'm not much worried

"A donkey! A donkey! My kingdom for a donkey!"
Salzig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 09:01 AM   #1170
justafurnaceman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 766
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in Wi View Post
I had a similar experience at Team Triumph here in Wisconsin a few years ago. It was late summer on a Friday afternoon. I was really interested in the new Tiger 800 and I heard they were very willing to give test rides. So I showed up with my gear.

Walked into the showroom and there were no other customers, just a woman doing some paperwork behind the counter. She didn't say anything when I walked in, which I thought was a little odd, but whatever...

I looked around at gear and bikes until I came to the 800. Looked it over in detail, got on t see how it felt, etc. it became obvious that the woman behind the counter was purposefully ignoring me. So I decided to see how long it would take before she would say anything. I continued to look at the bike, get on & off, etc. for 45 minutes. That's as long as I could take it as it ceased to be amusing. I left, and walked by the counter on my way out as she very seriously kept her head down & shuffled papers. I actually wondered if I had walked in while they were closed, I looked but didn't see any hours posted as I left. If I was seriously considering buying the bike I would have said something to her. Weird encounter to say the least.
Gateway BMW was the opposite. Both times that I've been in there I was talked to in a couple of minutes. Even after telling them that we were only there to look at the bikes they still entertained our questions. When I asked about the HP4 and Competition models the salesman egged me on a little about if I was sure that I didn't want to put down a deposit but it was in fun.

Morton BMW out of Fredericksburg, VA was the same sort of experience. Friendly people and they let me test ride several bikes and even let me borrow some gear since I was there for some training with the Army and didn't have any. It's going to be hard to decide which store to buy from when I finally pull the trigger.

It's kind of refreshing when you find these kinds of dealerships.