User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-02-2013, 05:09 AM   #1276
MotoTex
Miles of Smiles

Oddometer: 1,532
Bump. Back to the top.

I think with a little more effort we can get this thread more posts and reads than the Noob Sticky.

This is The Internet. Confirm for yourself anything you may see while visiting this strange and uncertain land.

MotoTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 05:43 AM   #1277
Barnone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,711
Is ATGATT overrated?
If you don't ever crash then ATGATT is overrated.
Unfortunately, I have crashed so in my case ATGATT is not overrated.
Barnone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 05:48 AM   #1278
shelbird
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
ear plugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by blk-betty View Post
I made the statement: ATGATT is overrated.... it's for guys who are either too afraid of a boo-boo or those who feel like thay have to put on an amour suit to prove how manly they are to participate in such a dangerous activity....over in the Killboy failure Dragon thread and it elecited a few comments. Sure it was a little over the top but there are truths on both ends of the spectrum.

Immediately it was assumed that I wear a Ebay plastic brain bucket with a fake DOT sticker. Just for the record I own 2 DOT approved Harely (Made by KBC) half halemts, one DOT apporved Harley (Made by HJC) 3/4 helmet, one Shoei Quest full face helmet and one AGV AX8 dual sport full face helmet. I have a few pair of gloves and 4 or 5 riding specific jackets ranging from a light nylon windbreaker to a heavy textile 3/4 length coat complete with body armor, and one pair of 10 year Danner Arcadia boots. Still trying to score a pair of Sidi Gore-tex Canyon boots at a decent price.

I've been riding since about age 7 but only on dirt until college then no street bike for 15 years but since 1999 I've had 8 street bikes. Sadly I don't get to ride near as much as some of you but have logged over 100,000 miles in the last 10 years. Not a huge amount but I ride for fun, don't ride to work and back and have other hobbies/obligations.

Rarely do I ride ATGATT and if you guys are honest with yourselves I bet most of you don't ride ATGATT either as it implies ALL the gear ALL the time.

One of the best things about the bike is I can jump on it and be gone in a second and have fun running my mundane errands. It's hot and humid here, I'm talking over 90F with humidity above 50% in the summer and that typically means 6 moths or more. You walk outside and you will be wet with sweat in short order. If I'm running errands around town and will be in and out a few stores I'm not putting on long pants, boots, gloves, and a heavy jacket....it just isn't happening. Not only will I be uncomfortable but it will add double the time to dress in my gear, remove the gear at each stop, and gear back up again. I really might as well have taken the car...and isn't that what is suppose to be the benefit of bikes...less gas consumption, easier to park, easier to manuever in heavy congested traffic, easier on the environment so more people should be riding?

I'm an adult and have been for over 25 years. I fully understand the risks associated with riding with little protective gear and I choose to accept those risks. For ME it is those risks that make riding fun and get the adrenaline pumping. When all totally geard up I feel like I'm in a coccon and isolated from the elements which honestly takes away from my enjoyment of the riding process...at those times riding becomes more like a task an less like a pleasurable experience. I ride for fun, if it's not fun I might as well be taking the car.

I've been down 3 times from low siding, only once did I have on a helmet and twice with shorts but no gloves and tennis shoes. I got some rash on my leg and forearm. Picked gravel out each time, sure it hurt but not THAT bad and it healed up just fine. Each time I went down I was doing something stupid and the accidents were 100% avoidable, I learned from those experiences and I'm a better rider as a result.

My point was not to claim that one shouldn't wear some protective gear but to point out that when others don't dress the same they have reasons for doing so and have at some level made a conscious decision to choose their attire.

My biggest fear while riding is blunt force trauma or a spinal cord injury. ATGATT won't do much to prevent either in a accident with signicant impact...yea your corpse may look a little better lying in the casket but your still lying in a casket.

The vast majority of riders I see in my area (southeast USA) are not ATGATT and that includes guys and gals I see atop adventure/DS bikes, sport bikes, sport touring bikes, and cruisers. Maybe they are just running errands like I do at times but they are riding and they are not ATGATT.

Yet so many on this site make emphatic judgement calls about others based on what they were wearing while riding when a picture was taken it prompted my statement. Of couse it was inflammatory and was thown out to elicit debate.

What say you?

How many of you guys wear ALL the gear EVERY SINGLE TIME you ride a bike, and if you don't wear ALL the gear EVERY SINGLE TIME why not?

what ear plugs are the most comfortable and eliminate the most noise?
shelbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 07:14 AM   #1279
Wraith Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,043
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnone View Post
If you don't ever crash then ATGATT is overrated.
Unfortunately, I have crashed so in my case ATGATT is not overrated.
I crashed, it's still overrated.
Old 09-02-2013, 11:29 AM   #1280
randyo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,451
Quote:
Originally Posted by wraith rider View Post
i crashed, it's still overrated.
+1
99 SV650
82 XV920R
A man with a gun is a citizen
A man without a gun is a subject
randyo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 11:49 AM   #1281
dazeedmonds
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelbird View Post
what ear plugs are the most comfortable and eliminate the most noise?
The best ear plugs are made from a combination of 24 karat gold and the inner ear membrane of a Canadian Lynx. Only one company in the world makes them, and you have to be invited by a member of the Illuminati.

Am I doing this right?
dazeedmonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 12:00 PM   #1282
joexr
Banned

Oddometer: 3,773
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazeedmonds View Post
The best ear plugs are made from a combination of 24 karat gold and the inner ear membrane of a Canadian Lynx. Only one company in the world makes them, and you have to be invited by a member of the Illuminati.

Am I doing this right?
If you're trying to be a jackass , yes.
joexr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 12:04 PM   #1283
rockydrxrvr
Multi Meter Meathead

Oddometer: 145
Plastic Knee Guards with Padding on a Low Side

Diesel spill in an intersection in Pahrump Nevada, Had Knee Guards with padding, Making the left turn with a green light, I was down so fast, it was surreal. My knee, the brush guard, and rear luggage rack equally took the hit, and after 2 guys picked up the DR for me, I was left with torn Levi's AT THE KNEE, and a small bruise on a hip. Now figure, what hits first,----your knee.
I didn't go to a Doctor or miss a days work. Sold on knee protection.

rockydrxrvr screwed with this post 09-02-2013 at 12:35 PM
rockydrxrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 07:33 PM   #1284
phunmusicphan
Dude

Oddometer: 403
Road rash hurts more than bruises.
Old 09-03-2013, 05:52 AM   #1285
pretbek
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 863
Quote:
Originally Posted by joexr View Post
If you're trying to be a jackass , yes.

Your post is equally helpful to shelbird's question.

Custom molded ear plugs will be the most comfortable (when done correctly, not at a stand during a MC rally), but have no personal experience with them. They can also be designed with a very high Noise Reduction Rating.

I use disposable foam plugs and I like the Moldex Purafit (NRR 33) the best, after that I like the slightly "louder" but even more comfortable Howard Leight Max (NRR 30).
When touring, I use the Howard Leights when my ears begin to get painful after wearing the Purafits the whole day for several days straight.

You could buy an assortment pack (Earplugstore.com) to find out which style you like.
pretbek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 06:58 AM   #1286
O.C.F.RIDER
Loose nut behind h/bars

Oddometer: 4,852
Quote:
Originally Posted by phunmusicphan View Post
Road rash hurts more than bruises.
Bad road-rash hurts more than broken bones.
I know this!

CW
'75 Kawi 900 Z1...'90 Kawi ZX11...'03 Kawi ZRX 1200...'01 VOR 400E
O.C.F.RIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 07:59 AM   #1287
pretbek
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 863
Quote:
Originally Posted by O.C.F.RIDER View Post
I know this!

CW
And for a much longer time too.
pretbek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 08:37 AM   #1288
MotoTex
Miles of Smiles

Oddometer: 1,532
Quote:
I know this!

CW
I was happy when the thread moved to another page so I didn't have to scroll through your carnage again.

I've had enough similar injuries that I wince when I see shots like those.

Hope the remaining drippy spot gets healed up for you soon.

This is The Internet. Confirm for yourself anything you may see while visiting this strange and uncertain land.

MotoTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 09:24 AM   #1289
phunmusicphan
Dude

Oddometer: 403
Quote:
I know this!

CW
Yep!
Old 09-03-2013, 10:31 AM   #1290
kerhonky
Adventure Poser

Oddometer: 1,120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertical C View Post
Why do Rugby players not get concussions a lot more frequently than NFL players then if it is not the Peltzman effect?
Because they are not playing football. You will note that in the study about the Peltzman effect, the two groups were participating in the same activity. Comparing concussion rates from two different sports and attributing the difference to anything other than the fact that they are different sports is so far outside of sound scientific and statistical methods it's laughable.

If you think I won't understand it just because you have to explain it to me, maybe it was bullshit to begin with.
kerhonky is offline   Reply With Quote