Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-19-2013, 01:54 AM   #421
Snowy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,650
Quote:
Originally Posted by speed_racer View Post
Sounds like you're way too specific with your bike setup hehe ;)

Why would you not use the 'light adventurer DR' to replace your 'trail riding DR'? I mean the bars and stuff on it double up as crash bars.. ?

comparing the DR to a f800 is like comparing a Landcruiser to to LR discovery.. sure the landcruiser will get you there reliably, but you will enjoy the creature comforts in the disco..
Nope.

Not even close.

Comparing the DR to the F8 is like comparing a Landcruiser to a Nissan Pulsar with Rally tyres.

My trail riding DR has 340mm rear travel, RMZ swingarm, RMZ USD forks with 300mm travel, modified RMZ linkage on the rear, RMZ shock etc. resprung, revalved, lighter, faster, and much much nicer than a DR to ride.

The only "DR" left is most of the frame and the engine. Compared to the Adventurised DR, it's like comparing a KTM300 to a KTM690.

Horses for courses.

It's not about being too specific in the set up. It's about having something that does what you want it to do. Someone wants to trail ride a DR with all the crap hanging off it, go for it. Someone wants to "trail ride" an F800GS in standard form, fine.

Know what you want to do and get what is best suited to it.

If what you do is fine for a DR 80% of the time, and F800 will probably not fix the 20%, without screwing with the 80%.

If you can't "buy" what you want straight off the showroom floor, then make it. There's plenty of info and parts out there.

I ended up with 2 DR's by accident, picking up the 2nd one after my sons break up with his missus and my bailing them out financially. I was never going to get back what I paid for it. So I built something very specific out of it, and save it for specific trips. It's insured, expendable, reliable, and set up exactly right for the job I want it to do.
Snowy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 03:12 PM   #422
motosaint
LTLYLTL!

Oddometer: 566
Great analogy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speed_racer View Post
Sounds like you're way too specific with your bike setup hehe ;)

Why would you not use the 'light adventurer DR' to replace your 'trail riding DR'? I mean the bars and stuff on it double up as crash bars.. ?

comparing the DR to a f800 is like comparing a Landcruiser to to LR discovery.. sure the landcruiser will get you there reliably, but you will enjoy the creature comforts in the disco..
Great analogy!

Yes, you can't compare the DR650 and the F800GSA. I own a DR650 and love it. But the F800GSA is a tank with much more plush than the DR650.

If Suzuki only offered an Adventure version of the DR650.. I'd probably buy it. As extremely cool the new V-Strom is.. It's still strictly a street bike.

My Adventures

Trip through the American Northwest - Maybe - 2010
San Francisco to San Diego Quickly - 2010
My First Big Mexican Ride - 2009
Northern California for 4 Days - 2008

Current Ride
Suzuki 2002 - DR650 (Anna)

MSF BRC Graduate '07
motosaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 05:14 PM   #423
Snowy
Beastly Adventurer

It's curious....

The number of people who own a DR and an F800.

I think it's because there is no "one bike does it all" solution, and that when you get down to the basics of what you want from them they each do well what the other wont do.

Most people with a DR want more power and better handling, but not at the expense of off road ability.

Most people with the F800 want more off road ability but not at the expense of power and handling.

If you level the playing field, by doing what I did with the suspension upgrades, the 2 bikes are not so dissimilar.
Old 08-25-2013, 05:10 PM   #424
Icy Roads
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
I have both

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowy View Post
It's curious....

I think it's because there is no "one bike does it all" solution, and that when you get down to the basics of what you want from them they each do well what the other wont do.

Most people with a DR want more power and better handling, but not at the expense of off road ability.

Most people with the F800 want more off road ability but not at the expense of power and handling.

If you level the playing field, by doing what I did with the suspension upgrades, the 2 bikes are not so dissimilar.
Call me spoiled but I have both and I enjoy them. I wish I had more time to ride the DR400.
Old 08-28-2013, 07:42 PM   #425
Off Limits
Thread killer

Oddometer: 3,476
For the money 1 f-800 GSA, or a nicely modded brand new dr650 and a used 990 adventure. 18k can buy a lot of bikes.

For a guy who grew up riding in the dirt, the 800 would be a liability for me. If I was to buy a big adv bike, it would have to be able to handle serious offroad abuse and not bend shock bolts/frames. The big ktms are the only real option. For serious pavement riders,and smooth fire roads, I'm sure the BMW is fine.

When riding offroad, my dr650 is always ahead of the beemers.
Old 08-28-2013, 08:53 PM   #426
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,673
Here we go.....

Erling
ebrabaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 01:24 PM   #427
GPHusky250
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 454
These threads....hey, if you want to land an airplane on the water, you need floats...if you want to land on glaciers, you might want to use skis, if you want to land on runways be sure to have tires...and so on. Everything becomes specialized at some point.

Comparing one bike to another is an exercise in futility because at this level, bikes are built for a purpose...mostly a single purpose, not like the "enduros" of old that you could ride down trails, strip the lights off to race and put them back on to go to school.

Comparing a F800 to a DR is silly, two different bikes built for two different applications.

If I'm taking a ride down to Mexico for a week or so, I'm taking the F800 because I can carry a lot of stuff with me and it goes just about everywhere I want it to within reason.

If my friends are going down to Mexico to do some single track and trail riding, am I going to take the F800...heck no...I'm taking the KTM 350 XCF-W....lightweight, nimble and a bike at the top of it's class for what's intended.

So what bike is better...well both and neither, just depends on what you're up to.

Been around a long time...Chevy vs Ford, Honda vs Yamaha, Smith and Wesson vs Colt, Coors vs Budweiser and this vs that. All have strengths, all have weaknesses and none are good in every situation.

In the end, who cares what you're riding, drinking, driving, shooting as long as you're out doing it and having fun.

Last night I read where the F800 GSA sucked because the new 6 gallon tank made its look too wide....stupid comment. I don't think you'd really care how wide your bike looks when you run out of fuel 100 miles from the nearest gas station.

So, before you by a bike, ask yourself what you really intend to do with it...be honest...and then find a single bike that best fits that category and don't badmouth all the other bikes that don't because it just might be that they were built for a different purpose.
GPHusky250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 06:36 PM   #428
speed_racer
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 707
Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Limits View Post
For the money 1 f-800 GSA, or a nicely modded brand new dr650 and a used 990 adventure. 18k can buy a lot of bikes.

For a guy who grew up riding in the dirt, the 800 would be a liability for me. If I was to buy a big adv bike, it would have to be able to handle serious offroad abuse and not bend shock bolts/frames. The big ktms are the only real option. For serious pavement riders,and smooth fire roads, I'm sure the BMW is fine.

When riding offroad, my dr650 is always ahead of the beemers.
Just to add to this, I had a F650 GS which I would push the bmw envelope along and point it up single tracks and was always was side by side with my mate on his DR.. So that sort of stuff just depends on the rider..

So the f800 would be better for it as I wouldnt have bottomed out the suspension as much or would of been able to jump it better etc.. but it still did it.. and it was a bit more tricky than my KLX 650 for eg: but if you want/need it to go through whatevers in front of you then, it will do it.. usually depending more on what tyres your running (but the tyre thread has been thrashed so lets not go there :) )

RIP - BMW F650 GS Twin
speed_racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 05:15 AM   #429
ararat
Dr. BMW and Mr KTM

Oddometer: 1,931
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPHusky250 View Post
These threads....hey, if you want to land an airplane on the water, you need floats...if you want to land on glaciers, you might want to use skis, if you want to land on runways be sure to have tires...and so on. Everything becomes specialized at some point.

Comparing one bike to another is an exercise in futility because at this level, bikes are built for a purpose...mostly a single purpose, not like the "enduros" of old that you could ride down trails, strip the lights off to race and put them back on to go to school.

Comparing a F800 to a DR is silly, two different bikes built for two different applications.

If I'm taking a ride down to Mexico for a week or so, I'm taking the F800 because I can carry a lot of stuff with me and it goes just about everywhere I want it to within reason.

If my friends are going down to Mexico to do some single track and trail riding, am I going to take the F800...heck no...I'm taking the KTM 350 XCF-W....lightweight, nimble and a bike at the top of it's class for what's intended.

So what bike is better...well both and neither, just depends on what you're up to.

Been around a long time...Chevy vs Ford, Honda vs Yamaha, Smith and Wesson vs Colt, Coors vs Budweiser and this vs that. All have strengths, all have weaknesses and none are good in every situation.

In the end, who cares what you're riding, drinking, driving, shooting as long as you're out doing it and having fun.

Last night I read where the F800 GSA sucked because the new 6 gallon tank made its look too wide....stupid comment. I don't think you'd really care how wide your bike looks when you run out of fuel 100 miles from the nearest gas station.

So, before you by a bike, ask yourself what you really intend to do with it...be honest...and then find a single bike that best fits that category and don't badmouth all the other bikes that don't because it just might be that they were built for a different purpose.
So XTZ750 and XRV750 were boat-plane with skies and tires?

BTW if you were in the shops and took a look at the GSA you would notice it is wider not just looking wider and it is due to the larger radiator.
Old 09-01-2013, 07:19 AM   #430
Sfladvrider
Mr.n00b

Oddometer: 167
Cool2 I love it

Couldn't be happier with my choice .

traded in the old bike(2012 with 1500miles) to many tickets. I lost my ass, but I think it was worth it

picking up the new

Its comfy, capable(with the stock scorpions not bad, but needs a knobbier tire), ESA cuts the highway vibes.

The windscreen is amazing, no buffeting or turbulence. But i guess going from a cbr to this any windscreens gonna feel better. It makes riding in the rain fun and the heated hand grips make it bearable.

The Bigger fuel tank adds range for sure, I go maybe a week or two without filling it up and Im on it everyday.

It in my opinion is probably the best mid on the market right now

And the fact that I can finally get my girl to ride, and that it changed her mind about motorcycles altogether...well

R.I.P '88 Honda cb1, '07 Honda crf 230, '12 Honda cbr 600rr

USCG 100 ton captain , Padi Divemaster , EMT (future paramedic) , FL Waterman .

Sfladvrider screwed with this post 09-01-2013 at 07:31 AM
Sfladvrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 07:21 AM   #431
Snowy
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPHusky250 View Post
The number of people who have a DR and have asked me about the F800 would suggest the opposite. They want to do the same thing with both.

They see the GS as being the answer to what they don't like about the DR.

Maybe it is, and maybe it isn't. It depends which part about the DR you don't like.

But as I say, if you buy the GS because the DR only does 80% of what you want, you may lose a lot of the 80% chasing that 20%. It may not balance the scales to your liking.

Horses for courses. You'll never know for sure until you've owned both.
Old 09-01-2013, 10:59 PM   #432
speed_racer
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 707
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sfladvrider View Post
Nice One... so is the bike.. hehe ;)

RIP - BMW F650 GS Twin
speed_racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 12:33 AM   #433
speck
It's all about endorphins

Oddometer: 32
You chose to ride the bike? Jay-zus, you need help!

Happy trails to you and yours!
Old 09-02-2013, 08:43 AM   #434
Sfladvrider
Mr.n00b

Oddometer: 167
am i missing something ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by speck View Post
You chose to ride the bike? Jay-zus, you need help!

Happy trails to you and yours!

R.I.P '88 Honda cb1, '07 Honda crf 230, '12 Honda cbr 600rr

USCG 100 ton captain , Padi Divemaster , EMT (future paramedic) , FL Waterman .
Sfladvrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 07:16 AM   #435
veefer8
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
Sertao

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowy View Post
It's curious....

Funny reading this thread, if you want to blend the attributes of the f800 and the dr650 you should be thinking about the sertao. At 390 lbs and 50hp it's right there in the middle.

veefer8 is offline   Reply With Quote