User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-26-2013, 10:39 PM   #46
UFObuster
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
Laugh Not trailer shy.

I'm in Wilmington, NC and enjoy trips to various parts of the Blue Ridge.
It has simply become BORING to ride thru the coastal plain of NC to get to
the mountains some 5 to 7 hr (if non-stop) and mostly slab. I just won't do it anymore. I've had lots of fun before and this is not it!

A handy trailer is my fav for this. It also expands camping opportunities with
a large cooler and some chairs. When at destination, the bike is lite and handy and it feels like a vacation to ride.

Too often I have met long distance riders moving so swiftly thru the areas that I really enjoy that they sadly miss some of the better rural roads and great sites off the BRP.

Don't discount trailering to make long distance tolerable!
UFObuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 02:33 AM   #47
Scott_F
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 193
We went on two tours this year, one for 19 days and the other for nine.

First trip: I started with a vague plan, from Calgary south to Bozeman and Yellowstone for a few days, then across to the Black Hills for another few days, and then back again. Normally, we ride for an hour and stop for a few minutes before resuming, we eat lunch and often supper in restaurants, stop to check things out, stop to take pictures, and we never start as early as we want to. Very laid back --- it's a holiday. On average, we cover 200 to 250 miles in a day, so that's how I approach my trip planning, one day at a time.

I scope out our route using google maps to determine where we are likely to be, then scope out motels in the area. I keep a shortlist on my "itinerary". At some time in the day, usually early afternoon, we will decide how far we will go and I will call ahead to book a room. My wife rides much easier when she knows there is a room waiting for us not far away. At this point, we have regular stops, motels located 200- 250 miles apart spreading out radially from Calgary through BC and Idaho and Montana.

As for the itinerary itself, that sometimes gets thrown out the window. We got fed up with the traffic in Yellowstone, so we left for the Black Hills a day early (good idea!) and again, opted to head back home a day early rather than tour the Badlands (good idea - an excuse to go back!). This last trip, we had three or four days in Idaho before we rode Lolo to Montana, where we had another three or four days. Again, once we were there, we decided not to go into the Palouse again and instead headed to Missoula a day early. All that matters, every time, is that we are back home in time to land safely and be ready for work on Monday.

Regards
Scott Fraser
Scott_F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 05:14 PM   #48
CafeRacer99 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 372
Just want to say I'm checking in on this thread and I appreciate all the responses.
Old 09-02-2013, 08:01 AM   #49
SilkMoneyLove
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,853
I just got back. Glad I didn't book it all out ahead. I had planned to spend more time in AK and Canada but the weather chased me south. 39 degrees F and pouring rain limited visibility and fun.
Ironically, it was nice and dry in this town:
SilkMoneyLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 12:45 PM   #50
Nevada
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Moore View Post
Two thoughts. First, as you know living out West, there are huge expanses of nothing.
uhhhh, no there aren't. The closest to a "huge expanse of nothing" that I've seen in my 4 decades + in the West would be the western plains of Nebraska, Colorado, Kansas, Oklahoma and Texas, and even those areas have plenty if one is willing to open their eyes and see.
Nevada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 02:40 PM   #51
ALinUTAH
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 610
Some of us actually like huge expanses of nothing.

Wifey and I just returned from 9 days bumming around Colorado. I had some roads in mind but no itinerary to speak of and it was awesome. We rode anywhere from 100 miles to 250 per day depending on the roads and what looked good, we literally planned one day at a time and often while drinking our morning coffee. We're foodies so before the trip I googled a lot of the major towns we might go thru and wrote down notes on my maps about good cafes and restaurants. But for lodging we just winged it, we carried camping gear but rain almost every day made us opt for cushy rooms most of the time, and we never had trouble finding a good place to stay, even labor day weekend. That's how we roll. -al
ALinUTAH is offline   Reply With Quote