Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-01-2010, 07:36 AM   #61
Oldmessage
Tour Guide

Oddometer: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by niceviewbehindbars
I stand up a lot while riding, at least when my speed is below 45. Sometimes on the interstate but only for a few moments.
Wooh, I am soo lucky to live in a country without "speed limits" (at least on the Autobahn, laugh) and more relaxed cops. I have a driving license for Motorcycle now since 1978 and NEVER EVER one came by an even mentioned something about riding standing up. There is a law in Italy where you are not allowed to ride with one hand on the handle bar, but that is a different story.

So if you like to ride "Standing Up" at any speed YOU want, come by and visit us here in Germany.
TJ

Breaking is the convertion of premium speed into useless heat !!

"Don't follow me--you won't make it"!!!

Tourguides always from "Bike Tour Germany"
www.BikeTourGermany.com

Oldmessage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 08:00 AM   #62
Ceri JC
UK GSer

Oddometer: 2,462
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldmessage
Wooh, I am soo lucky to live in a country without "speed limits" (at least on the Autobahn, laugh) and more relaxed cops. I have a driving license for Motorcycle now since 1978 and NEVER EVER one came by an even mentioned something about riding standing up. There is a law in Italy where you are not allowed to ride with one hand on the handle bar, but that is a different story.

So if you like to ride "Standing Up" at any speed YOU want, come by and visit us here in Germany.
TJ
I will do. I am coming to Germany for the first time by bike in a few weeks time. PM me if you're around any time 25th-30th Sept and fancy showing a Welshman whose grasp of German consists of speaking in a garbled combination of Dutch and English, whilst adopting a comically bad German accent the sights. I'll be at Oktorberfest 25th-27th and at the 'ring 28th and 29th. I'll be with other Brits (seperate groups for each activity), but am up for meeting up with other Adv riders on route. :)
Old 09-01-2010, 11:18 AM   #63
Gooch
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 275
Maine, FWIW

Quote:
2062. Motorcycles
Quote:

1. Seating. Seating on a motorcycle is as follows.
A. A person operating a motorcycle may ride only on the permanent and regular seat attached.

Never been stopped under this law, though I'm not sure I've been observed RWS.
Gooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 07:58 AM   #64
bumblebee14
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
KY does not prohibit standing directly. The only thing that would come close would be "Careless Driving" (a step below reckless), which states a person has to operate their vehicle with due regard for the safety of all persons and property on the roadway. So it would all depend on if you are acting safely. Again, it's usually pretty obvious when someone is just screwing around.
bumblebee14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 08:43 PM   #65
justscoutin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 127
I was standing up 2 weeks ago, and came over a rise as a car almost pulled out in front of me. if I had been sitting down they would've pulled out and I possibly would've KO'ed them in the side.
I worry about getting pulled over for "stunting" but I'm still gonna do it cause you gotta stretch and air out from time to time.
72 SL70
Save Aetna Offroad http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=758193
justscoutin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 09:40 PM   #66
wetdog1965
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
Standing

I stand up all the time on long rides. Gone by cops in many states and never had a problem. Did some checking and sure enough a few state don't allow this. I think it's on the books to stop the idiots from doing stunts/stupid shit. A lot of cops ride and understand you sometimes feel the need to get air...well you know where and you ass needs a brake once in awhile. I'll keep in mind the law in some states, but that won't stop me from standing once in awhile, I just pay attention who's around!

Previous = Yamaha FJR 1300
Yamaha GS1100
Yamaha 750 Special
Honda XL 250
Suzuki 500
Honda XL 175
wetdog1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 01:35 AM   #67
achtung3
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 976
I do not think there is a law against passing gas!

achtung3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 10:56 AM   #68
mjfields_228
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 354
Thread Rivial Time!!

It is technically illegal in Florida to stand up while riding. I never knew this until yesterday when Trooper HathCOCK cited me for it while riding my GSA!!!

I have been doing it all along and have even seen LEO's while I was doing it but never had an issue. In yesterdays case, I was rolling I-75 South in between Lake City and Gainesville. Doing about 75mph. There was no traffic in the immediate vicinity, sun was out, road was dry and ambient winds were nill. I only stand for for a brief time while at cruising altitude but will stand up for longer thru construction slow downs or accidents where shit is just crawling.

I don't think I did a very good job trying to sell it to the Trooper. I did try explaining that the GSA is configured for safe operation both sitting and standing but I think he may have never ridden a motorcycle in his life--ever. His mother telling him; "The Motorcycles is EVIL--my precious baby son......" when he was growing up or something along those lines.

$154 and 3 Points or.... $154, plus traffic school $$ and no points.

Or try my luck with the judge!
mjfields_228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 11:16 AM   #69
joexr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjfields_228 View Post
It is technically illegal in Florida to stand up while riding. I never knew this until yesterday when Trooper HathCOCK cited me for it while riding my GSA!!!

I have been doing it all along and have even seen LEO's while I was doing it but never had an issue. In yesterdays case, I was rolling I-75 South in between Lake City and Gainesville. Doing about 75mph. There was no traffic in the immediate vicinity, sun was out, road was dry and ambient winds were nill. I only stand for for a brief time while at cruising altitude but will stand up for longer thru construction slow downs or accidents where shit is just crawling.

I don't think I did a very good job trying to sell it to the Trooper. I did try explaining that the GSA is configured for safe operation both sitting and standing but I think he may have never ridden a motorcycle in his life--ever. His mother telling him; "The Motorcycles is EVIL--my precious baby son......" when he was growing up or something along those lines.

What did he call it on the ticket?
joexr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 11:52 AM   #70
sarhog
Ride far...

Oddometer: 492
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjfields_228 View Post

Please give me the Florida State Statute number that he cited you for (FSS 316.???).
Thanks.
Old 09-02-2013, 11:59 AM   #71
FirstPath
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,253
I have often wondered the same thing. It's not stunting and it's not reckless. Feels good just to stand and stretch and you still have perfect control of the bike. It's BS...

I'd fight this one. It's a similar argument for getting pulled over for having a sidecar wheel in the air....but I could even see that as a bit reckless to the untrained eye.
Old 09-02-2013, 12:02 PM   #72
JustinP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,557
Quote:
Originally Posted by minerbill View Post
From the Colorado Statutes:

42-4-1502. Riding on motorcycles.
(1) A person operating a motorcycle shall ride only upon the permanent and regular seat attached thereto, and such operator shall not carry any other person nor shall any other person ride on a motorcycle unless such motorcycle is designed to carry more than one person, in which event a passenger may ride upon the permanent seat if designed for two persons or upon another seat firmly attached to the motorcycle at the rear or side of the operator.

(2) A person shall ride upon a motorcycle only while sitting astride the seat, facing forward, with one leg on either side of the motorcycle.
Kinda silly, because MSF and other safety training teach you to stand up for certain situations, i.e. straddling objects. I stand up all the time. If a cop ever pulls me over, I hope it will be obvious I wasn't stunting and they accept my reasoning that I was stretching or straddling an object.
Old 09-02-2013, 12:04 PM   #73
O.C.F.RIDER
Loose nut behind h/bars

Oddometer: 4,878
You can be rest assured it's illegal in New Jerseystan.
But so is just about everything else that may constitute fun in one way or another.

CW
'75 Kawi 900 Z1...'90 Kawi ZX11...'03 Kawi ZRX 1200...'01 VOR 400E
O.C.F.RIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 01:08 PM   #74
mjfields_228
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarhog View Post
Please give me the Florida State Statute number that he cited you for (FSS 316.???).
Thanks.
316.2085(2)

(2) A person shall ride upon a motorcycle or moped only while sitting astride the seat, with both wheels on the ground at all times, facing forward, and with one leg on each side of the motorcycle or moped. However, it is not a violation of this subsection if the wheels of a motorcycle or moped lose contact with the ground briefly due to the condition of the road surface or other circumstances beyond the control of the operator.

The citation was for "Improper Riding"

WTF!!!!

I should have told him that my seat sits "really high" will riding on the boring interstate and that may only seem as if I was standing, to the un-trained eye.
mjfields_228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 07:05 PM   #75
sarhog
Ride far...

Oddometer: 492
Why were you standing? How long were you standing? What kind of road? How was the traffic? What was your speed?

Unless you were obviously screwing around, I would take it to court. Dress nice, be polite, know what you're going to say. If you find references in any motorcycle safety literature talking about standing in certain instances, quote them.

IMHO, that law was passed to combat "jackassery" on motorcycles. If you weren't being a jackass, I think you have a chance of proving your case.

I go to court frequently, I've seen much worse behavior excused.

I would not hire a lawyer in this case, as its not complicated at all.

Good luck!