Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-22-2013, 07:27 AM   #16
VStromNC
DNS/DNF

Oddometer: 745
Wicked

Still testing but I am now running on my Galaxy S4 Sygic GPS app as a general GPS tool and Dual Sport Map (DSM) for trail use (tracks) on my KLX.

I previously tried Co Pilot but still too buggy and some of the features never worked as advertised. It was OK and cheap but I guess you get what you paid for.

I am using Ram X- Grip and I simply swap it from my Vee to KLX as needed. I also got the suction mount and I can use it in my car. Sygic is pricey but you can get discount code online which drops it to about $29.00.

Of all the GPS apps that I've looked at, Sygic appears to more closely mimic Garmin. Is that good or bad? Sygic does have some nifty features such as rerouting by simply selecting a road and dragging. Pinch gestures work fine to zoom in and out. Lane guidance, speed limit, etc. Of course, it operates off-line (no data) as does DSM. The maps are high quality and you download individual states when on wifi.

Jon
Old 08-22-2013, 07:46 AM   #17
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,439
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayhawkGSA View Post
I just picked up a Zumo 660 (my first GPS ever) and I am less than impressed. Garmin's touchscreen tech seems to have stalled in the late 90s somewhere and everything so unresponsive, especially once I loaded som topo maps on it. The whole thing just seems so unintuitive after years of using smart phones with pinch to zoom, high resolution screens, and really responsive controls.

So...I think I am going to return it and make a setup based around a Google Nexus 7 tablet. This would include:
  • Google Nexus 7
  • Otterbox Defender Case
  • Gaia GPS which allows for the downloading ot USGS topo maps, import/export of GPX files, tracks, etc.

Am I completely insane? This just seems like a much better solution as a GPS for my Adventure Touring in Colorado as I really need high res topo maps that are responsive to scrolling around while I am looking for shelter above treeline!

The only problems I can identify are the possibility of a less than stellar GPS antenna and a not totally waterproof solution. The waterproof problem could be solved by sending it to a company to have Liquipel applied.

Someone tell me I am not crazy.
Not crazy,just whining possibly due to boredom? If you want a Tablet taped to your bars do so.
Old 08-22-2013, 02:55 PM   #18
JayhawkGSA OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger View Post
Not crazy,just whining possibly due to boredom? If you want a Tablet taped to your bars do so.
Yes, as my pictures showed, I have a tablet taped to my bars. I just competed 1400 miles of off road through Colroado and it worked so much better than my Garmin could have ever dreamed of.

I'll throw it right back to you. If you want antiquated technology that is locked down and overpriced do so.
JayhawkGSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 08:37 PM   #19
worwig
Lost in Georgia

Oddometer: 904
Quote:
Thanks, good information. I may have to revaluate as it seems that simply shorting our the data cables doesn't cut it anymore.
I'm using a Galaxy S4 in a RAM mount.
I have a home grown charger. I simply shorted D+ and D-, and the S4 pulls just a bit over 1 amp (which is my charger max output).
With the display a max, and GPS software running, it is still charging the battery (not super fast, maybe 20% per hour, but fast enough).

Personnally, I woulodn't touch a thing on mine because the next step up would simply run it to hot in the sunlight, which isn't a good thing.
Old 08-23-2013, 08:57 PM   #20
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,878
Quote:
Yes, as my pictures showed, I have a tablet taped to my bars. I just competed 1400 miles of off road through Colroado and it worked so much better than my Garmin could have ever dreamed of.

I'll throw it right back to you. If you want antiquated technology that is locked down and overpriced do so.
How about a few pictures out in the bright sunlight? I'd like to see how far the display tech has progressed.

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 01:30 PM   #21
QuasiMoto
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 195
Yeah, I'm puzzling over the sunshade design. The fact that the bracket releases horizontally makes it a little harder to have a simple solution for quick and frequent removal of the tablet. If anyone comes up with straightforward DIY on this, please share.

I haven't received the bracket yet, but I think I've got the software and wiring figgered out. Otterbox not going to work on the new Nexus 7, so going with just www.nanostate.co and 4 mil ziplocks when needed. Leaving on 4K+ mile trip in early Sept, much of it off road, so this should result in a good stress test.

Have been dreaming for years of kicking Garmin out of the equation...can't wait to give it a go.
Old 08-25-2013, 06:26 PM   #22
JayhawkGSA OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuasiMoto View Post
Yeah, I'm puzzling over the sunshade design. The fact that the bracket releases horizontally makes it a little harder to have a simple solution for quick and frequent removal of the tablet. If anyone comes up with straightforward DIY on this, please share.

I haven't received the bracket yet, but I think I've got the software and wiring figgered out. Otterbox not going to work on the new Nexus 7, so going with just www.nanostate.co and 4 mil ziplocks when needed. Leaving on 4K+ mile trip in early Sept, much of it off road, so this should result in a good stress test.

Have been dreaming for years of kicking Garmin out of the equation...can't wait to give it a go.
I had a lot of time to think about a sunshade design while riding this last trip. I think a simple 2 part design made of kydex will work. Basically a left and right half that overlap. Put a slot in one and a rivet in the other to hold them together but allow it to slide.

I am not completely happy with the ball mount. The bracket itself is great but the ball mounted to the crossbar makes it stick out more than needed. I am probably going to find an alternative to the ball mont but keep the tab-lock as it works great.
JayhawkGSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 06:47 PM   #23
syzygy9
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 282
Quote:
I just picked up a Zumo 660 (my first GPS ever) and I am less than impressed. Garmin's touchscreen tech seems to have stalled in the late 90s somewhere and everything so unresponsive, especially once I loaded som topo maps on it. The whole thing just seems so unintuitive after years of using smart phones with pinch to zoom, high resolution screens, and really responsive controls.

So...I think I am going to return it and make a setup based around a Google Nexus 7 tablet. This would include:
  • Google Nexus 7
  • Otterbox Defender Case
  • Gaia GPS which allows for the downloading ot USGS topo maps, import/export of GPX files, tracks, etc.

Am I completely insane? This just seems like a much better solution as a GPS for my Adventure Touring in Colorado as I really need high res topo maps that are responsive to scrolling around while I am looking for shelter above treeline!

The only problems I can identify are the possibility of a less than stellar GPS antenna and a not totally waterproof solution. The waterproof problem could be solved by sending it to a company to have Liquipel applied.

Someone tell me I am not crazy.
Google Nexus works fine for me! I am using it as both a in-car turn by turn navigator (Sygic with Australia and Western Europe maps) and an off-road 'moving map' navigator on my motorbike here in Australia (running Ozi Explorer and a bunch of georef'd topo maps). I also changed from an overpriced, slow, buggy, low resolution, purpose built GPS to this for half the price.

Forget the mounted case, just stash it in your tank bag.

Charges using a 2.1amp 12v cig lighter to 5v USB adapter which works fine - keeps pace with electrical demand; charges slowly when in use and fast when not in use (make sure you get the new 'iPad" USB charges which are rate for 2.1 amps, the standard USB chargers output 0.5amps which can't keep up).

syzygy9 screwed with this post 08-27-2013 at 07:21 PM
syzygy9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 04:13 PM   #24
my6
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by syzygy9 View Post
Google Nexus works fine for me! I am using it as both a in-car turn by turn navigator (Sygic with Australia and Western Europe maps) and an off-road 'moving map' navigator on my motorbike here in Australia (running Ozi Explorer and a bunch of georef'd topo maps). I also changed from an overpriced, slow, buggy, low resolution, purpose built GPS to this for half the price.

Forget the mounted case, just stash it in your tank bag.

Charges using a 2.1amp 12v cig lighter to 5v USB adapter which works fine - keeps pace with electrical demand; charges slowly when in use and fast when not in use (make sure you get the new 'iPad" USB charges which are rate for 2.1 amps, the standard USB chargers output 0.5amps which can't keep up).

This is pretty much my setup as well. The idea of attaching something fragile like electronics to my handlebars, that sits up high, just doesn't seem the way to go to me.
Old 10-09-2013, 08:21 AM   #25
RandyReider
Kind of a Big Deal

Oddometer: 129
What about overheating?

Any issues with overheating? I attempted this with my iPad in my tankbag map pocket and on a relatively cool day (75-80 degrees) the iPad overheated and shut itself down.

Any similar issues w. android tabs?
Old 10-09-2013, 11:06 AM   #26
Arctic traveller
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 172
  • Google Nexus 7
  • Otterbox Defender Case

Hi, you may have the answer I've been looking for as this is exactly what I want to do. (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?p=22515508#post22515508)

Could you please expand a little more on how you connected this up? Is the Gaia processing the moving map which is then displayed on the tablet? Is it just a handheld GPS, and if so, how do the two communicate? Would I be able to use the built in GPS on a tablet, or better yet my puck style, USB connected device? I assume your set up is limited to certain types of maps or Topo's, depending on what software your running, but are you aware of any that will work in Mexico? Thanks for the help........Arctic Traveller
Arctic traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 11:13 AM   #27
WAP
Weekday Warrior

Oddometer: 961
I'm interested in hearing long-term updates. I've been attempting to run my phone (Virgin Mobile Galaxy SII) as a GPS instead of shelling out for a Garmin and I've been having terrible luck. Charging is the main problem. Shorting the data wires did not improve charge rate. I'm running a Burnsmoto USB port wired to an aux fuse panel. I think the vibrations from mounting to my handlebars (RAM finger grip type mount) have loosened the usb port on my phone. I'm skeptical about micro USB being viable for long term durability, but hope you guys can convince me otherwise. I'll probably be upgrading to a SIII within a few months, and hope it will work out better than my current phone. Definitely trying to avoid the $$$ of a garmin.
WAP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 01:07 PM   #28
250senuf
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,178
Quote:
Originally Posted by WAP View Post
... I'm skeptical about micro USB being viable for long term durability, but hope you guys can convince me otherwise....
It's come up in various threads comparing GPS models that micro USB is NOT the way to go to power a device on a motorcycle. A few think it's OK but most will go with "NO, you're asking for trouble."
Old 10-22-2013, 02:37 PM   #29
webmonstro
A Aventura Continua....

Oddometer: 435
Quote:
Originally Posted by WAP View Post
I'm interested in hearing long-term updates. I've been attempting to run my phone (Virgin Mobile Galaxy SII) as a GPS instead of shelling out for a Garmin and I've been having terrible luck. Charging is the main problem. Shorting the data wires did not improve charge rate. I'm running a Burnsmoto USB port wired to an aux fuse panel. I think the vibrations from mounting to my handlebars (RAM finger grip type mount) have loosened the usb port on my phone. I'm skeptical about micro USB being viable for long term durability, but hope you guys can convince me otherwise. I'll probably be upgrading to a SIII within a few months, and hope it will work out better than my current phone. Definitely trying to avoid the $$$ of a garmin.
i think the main thing is to keep the plug from moving
I use a generic chinese 4.3 inch GPS that has a miniusb plug
witch less strong than the microusb and have'nt had a problem yet

I use a cheap waterproof box like this one:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-Waterpro...item5af697cd6f

It's a a snug fit with a 90 angle plug, once closed it dosen't allow for movement in the plug-socket connection.

Does the phone charge with the bike stopped?
if you jiggle the connection does it stop charging ?
does the phone charge on the move when turn'd off ?

I had a non-charging problem, and it turn out to be the charger
another cheap chinese product - yeah i'm cheap-
inside a capacitor and a filter coil got loose:
so i pull it apart on the side of the road:

[IMG]

fixed it with duct tape:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
:)

worked fine like that till the end of the ride, and later i just re-solded
everything up and coverd it all with a glue gun

still working fine

webmonstro screwed with this post 10-22-2013 at 02:49 PM
webmonstro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 01:59 AM   #30
PDX Alamo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 251
No overheating

I'm using a kyocera torque and it's operating temp is 140! It's also waterproof as well. Bought it off ebay for $65 used on the AZBDR in 106 degree weather with no problems. Got home and took the Garmin POS back to REI.
PDX Alamo is online now   Reply With Quote