User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-03-2013, 09:55 AM   #46
RevyRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 115
Excellent Start

Excellent start to your adventure and Ride Report. I will be checking in daily and looking forward to your updates. As others have said, I intend to do this similar ride in the upcoming years.

Have a safe trip and enjoy. Cheers

Ron

98 HD FXDWG
Revelstoke, BC.
RevyRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 10:04 AM   #47
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,969
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 10:25 AM   #48
folknride
Old Adventurer

Oddometer: 665
I'm following here and on twitter Dave. Great job reporting!
Dripping with envy
So glad it's going well - ride safe.
Ron
folknride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 04:15 PM   #49
DRRambler OP
AKA Albertastrom

Oddometer: 839
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindDog View Post
Good to see the first Ushuaia trip of the season. I hope to make that trip someday, and I'm looking forward to following your adventures. Stay safe and have fun.
i'm still in ultra cautious mode as I navigate the strangeness of rural Baja. Day by day its getting easier. Thanks for following along
DRRambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 04:16 PM   #50
DRRambler OP
AKA Albertastrom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnydarock View Post
Looking forward to reading your ride report. 6 months may not be enough to get all the way to the bottom. Good Luck and ride safe.
indeed, I already feel like I'm rushing
Old 09-03-2013, 04:18 PM   #51
DRRambler OP
AKA Albertastrom

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevyRider View Post
Excellent start to your adventure and Ride Report. I will be checking in daily and looking forward to your updates. As others have said, I intend to do this similar ride in the upcoming years.

Have a safe trip and enjoy. Cheers

Ron
Hopeful that my report can be of some help in your planning. Thanks for following.
Old 09-03-2013, 04:20 PM   #52
DRRambler OP
AKA Albertastrom

Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
back at you eakins! I have read many of your posts on many subjects and learned from them. Thank you
Old 09-03-2013, 05:16 PM   #53
folknride
Old Adventurer

Oddometer: 665
Mitas shoes

How did the Mitas tires stand up to all that pavement?
Enquiring minds want to know
folknride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 06:45 PM   #54
DRRambler OP
AKA Albertastrom

Quote:
Originally Posted by folknride View Post
How did the Mitas tires stand up to all that pavement?
Enquiring minds want to know
Well they are not going to make the 15000km I hoped they would. They might go to 10k.

wish you were here Ron!

D
Old 09-03-2013, 08:42 PM   #55
DRRambler OP
AKA Albertastrom

Day 9 Getting to know the Baja

Day 9 San Vincente Baja California to Catavina Baja California 289km 6.0 hours
The Hotel El Camino at night

The day started for me at 8AM getting Skelly out of the hotel room.

The nice fellow who came over to me this morning delayed my departure by 45 minutes. I certainly had no objection as he was giving me advice about the road. He told me that on weekends I should be wary of drunk drivers. In addition he advised me that trucks often will be in your lane as you round tight corners. Sometimes itís just bad driving on their part but the roads have no shoulders in places and the trucks have no choice but to cut the corners. Okay, lessons learned and Iím ready to get going in this unusually humid weather.
I fueled up and hit the road. There are many small towns all the way to El Rosario so the velocity is subdued. The maximum speed limit is 80k/hr with 60k/hr speed zones all along the way and 40k/hr in the towns. About 50% of the traffic obeys the limit while others are just flying. I had to watch my speed carefully as I donít want a speeding ticket. Interspersed with speeding cars there are quads, dogs, horses, dirt bikes and plenty of big trucks. In the towns one needs to be aware of the ďtopesĒ or speed bumps. Most of the time there is warning with a series of smaller bumps that get closer together as you approach the main bump. Some of the bumps were so worn down they basically did no good.

My second fuel stop was around San Quinton where I received 54 pesos worth of 87 octane (Magnum) Fuel. As always at the Pemex government owned gasolineria the attendant filled the tank for me. He then proceeded to tell me I needed to give him 3 US dollars. This was after handing him 60 pesos and telling him to keep the change. I asked him why I needed to give him 3 dollars and he replied (I think) so he could spend it in the store. I kept telling him sorry I donít understand and he eventually gave up.

Litter along the highway

Today I encountered two military check points. The first one just waved me through but the second one was a mandatory stop. Itís a good thing there are warning signs notifying you of the upcoming checkpoint. The fog was so thick at the time I could only see 100 yards in front of me. The armed soldiers asked me where I was going. Eyebrows raised when I told them and they sent me on my way without checking any papers.

A rare roadside pullout

My last fuel stop of the day was in El Rosario. I had read the next stretch was a long fuel run. The attendant verified this so in addition to 32 pesos in the tank, I filled all three extra fuel cans to the tune of an additional 35 pesos. I needed to get 318km before the next stop. There is fuel sold out of barrels at Catavina but it is expensive and of unknown quality.

Riding the last 120km of the day was beautiful high desert, twisty and straight with multiple elevation changes along ridges and through gullies overflowing with water. It was brutally hot and humid and I had to force myself to stop and eat at a roadside taqueria. After a very difficult ordering process I received 1 burrito containing a meat I know not what it was. It was tasty however and I chased it with a cold 7up. $3.00 including a huge tip.
I am now in Catavina in a hotel that is highly overpriced but is luxurious by the standard of last night. The meal was pricey too but delicious with a cold Tecate.

The Hotel Mission Catavina

Learning to deal in Pesos is coming (Iím so glad I know my Spanish numbers) but there is still a lot to learn. I havenít seen all the denominations of coin yet. I canít read the coin value without my glasses so I have been trusting the change Iím receiving.
My Spanish is so weak itís embarrassing but people have been patient with me and Iím catching on to a few things.
Tomorrow Santa Rosalia
Old 09-03-2013, 09:04 PM   #56
davey1212
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 131
Dave, Spooky !! I was in the same hotel and the pool water was green !!!! Yes it is hot there but be prepared as the border crossings in Central America are just as hot plus VERY humid. Be prepared to lock your jacket etc to the bike so you can keep as cool as possible. I suffered on a couple of occasions and the sweat (nice) was incredible !!

For the bike import permit, ride all the way south following the coast from La Paz, you will come to the ferry terminal and if you are happy to do so (secured) park it opposite the entrance by the food stalls. Otherwise, enter, turn left through the barrier (small fee), walk towards the buildings and the Banjercito is on the far right. The young lady there spoke excellent English and it did not take long. Try to do this at least a day before you sail. They take a hefty deposit (under $400) and you do get it back when you leave Mexico. read my blog about leaving Mexico as the Banjercito is MILES away from the border.
Great report and safe riding.

ps. I AM looking in my mirrors !!!!
davey1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 12:34 PM   #57
DRRambler OP
AKA Albertastrom

Day 10 The Sea of Cortez

Day 10 Catavina to Santa Rosalia 468km 7 hours

Today was a huge day. Considering the speed limits and narrow roads, 468km in 7 hours is pretty good. The recent cyclone on east coast has made it unusually muggy here and Iím continually drenched in sweat. Itís to the point where I donít want to stop moving even to take photos. Fortunately there wasnít much to take photos of. It seems like most of the day I was on really long straight stretches that lasted for many miles.

Standard Baja highway

Storm looming

Roadside garbage dump

Today I crossed into Baja South and there is a noticeable difference as I make my way. The roads are generally better and there are fewer towns along the highway. I encountered three military checkpoints today and was waved through all of them. So far no hassle from any soldiers.

A really nice diversion from the desert riding was San Ignacio. Its a little town set around an Oasis that is different from the other communities I have passed through. It was worth turning in and checking it out.

I rolled into Santa Rosalia around 3 and circled a bit before settling on the Industrial Motel. 456 pesos for a tiny room but it had air conditioning which is a must right now.

My dinner was 2 cans of beer and a bag of chips.
Tomorrow Loreto
Old 09-04-2013, 04:53 PM   #58
hwunger
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 351
nice

alright ! .... a fellow Canadian goes to Baja

hope to follow in your footsteps next year .... buena suerte
hwunger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 05:03 PM   #59
DRRambler OP
AKA Albertastrom

Day 11 Short Ride to Loreto

Day 11 Santa Rosalia to Loreto 210km 3.0 hours

Something I failed to mention from the previous post is about a new noise from the bike. As I was riding around town looking for a hotel I detected a slight tapping noise from the engine. It sounded like the valves needing adjustment but I did that 5000km ago so it seemed odd to me. I decided to re-adjust them in the morning after allowing the engine to cool. I rose early and got to work removing the seat and fuel tank. I reached for my 10mm hex to remove the flywheel access cover and it wasnít there! So I tried turning the engine with the rear wheel but I couldnít do that and look in the timing hole at the same time. I had no choice but to put it all back together. Upon starting the engine there was no noise at all. Iím thinking it may have been the extreme heat that caused the problem. All day today it was quiet.

After all that I must admit some thoughts of ďwhat the hell am I doingĒ came to me. Maybe that is a normal thought process, after all I have never done anything like this before. I was able to dismiss the thinking to get on with things and by 8:30 I was on the road.
The road was a mix of desert and coastal twisties. Near Mulege on the coast it is beautiful with really nice looking beaches. I didnít stop due to the heat that was intense even at 10:00 in the morning.

A donkey on the road

A large number of these memorials along the entire highway

One military check point today that was brief and waved through.

By 11:30 I had reached my destination of Nopolo a few km south of Loreto. I had arranged a stay at a home belonging to my Aunt and Uncle. I found the managerís office and met Antonio who led me to the house in his golf cart. These homes have no driveways or garages, so there was great debate about what to do with the bike. Security did not want me to bring it to the house but finally agreed to let me take it in only if I left it parked the entire time I was here. Before parking I needed to get some groceries for my stay. Security insisted that I park the bike on the street while I unloaded it, then I went to Loreto for food and upon my return was permitted to park it in the houseís storage area.

A view out the front room

I found a cold beer in the fridge and sat back to relax. Later I found a restaurant called the Agave and had really nice enchiladas and a margarita.
Tomorrow is relax day
Old 09-04-2013, 07:25 PM   #60
pne
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 719
very cool, I saw a flyer for your ride at riverside. Best of luck on your trip. I'll be following this and visiting Argentina myself, albeit by plane.
pne is offline   Reply With Quote