Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-20-2013, 08:02 PM   #76
ramjet
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,073
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardwaregrrl View Post
So does anyone know if the Overland pants are sized and cut the same as the Traverse???
No, they are different. Traverse is higher in the back, baggier in the crotch and stretchy in the waistband. Overland is more like jean cut in the waist. I was hoping to find an offroad pant similar to my Dainese
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/d...em-d-dry-pants
And the Overland was it.

Much better in my opinion.

Qui Desiderant Pacem Preparate Bellum
ramjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 04:30 PM   #77
thorinoakenshield
ya mo be there

Oddometer: 443
I talked to a Klim rep at a dealership "tech session".
I told him the armor is loose and doesnt cover much. He said that, unlike dirtbike armor that you strap on, the armor on my overland is meant to "float" a bit.
Basically he said to just deal with it.
thorinoakenshield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 10:32 PM   #78
ramjet
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,073
Quote:
Originally Posted by thorinoakenshield View Post
I talked to a Klim rep at a dealership "tech session".
I told him the armor is loose and doesnt cover much. He said that, unlike dirtbike armor that you strap on, the armor on my overland is meant to "float" a bit.
Basically he said to just deal with it.
And my question to him would be: "Float"? Why?

Qui Desiderant Pacem Preparate Bellum
ramjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 05:24 AM   #79
Michael bell
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCJC View Post
I'm a slim 6' 175lbs, tried on the traverse M, and of course the sleeves were too short in a riding position. Now have the overland in a L, and the sleeve lengths is perfect, but the body of the jacket is way baggier than i would like. Definitely not "skinny little euro boy" sizing...

Not alot of faith that the elbow armour will stay put, and those dinky velcro straps are just for looks, cause they ain't gonna hold anything down under stress.

The heft and feel of the jacket is nice, fairly burly. Neck closure keeps wind out well, vents do ok, but i don't live in a hot weather zone.

As mentioned, the sleeve cuffs are tough to get over gauntlet gloves. I have Held Air n Dry's, and its a pita if you are doing town stuff, and having to put on/off often.

Overall, if the jacket is truly waterproof, and will keep some road rash away, i'll be happy. But, it's not quite the magic bullet jacket at $430. imo.
Better 'skinny little euro boy' than 'most obese nation in the world big fat supersize yank' size!
Michael bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 08:32 PM   #80
Elusion
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by thorinoakenshield View Post
I just received the pants and the armor in the knee is not well designed. It doesn't cover my knee very well, especially the sides. The pocket for the knee armor is somewhat large, so the armor floats around a bit.
A bit disappointing.
I do have mx knee armor that I can wear underneath.
I bought size 34, which is what I wear for the Mojave pants I use on my dirtbike. It fits fine on the waist, but the knee armor isn't so great.

Also, the velcro on the bottom of the pants tends to open when I mount the bike or just from hitting the foot pegs.

From what I've read online, the knee armor design is a common gripe people have.

I tried moving the knee armor up....there are velcro pieces within the armor pocket. The problem I'm having is that there's no way to secure the bottom of the armor if I move it up.
So I can move the armor up to #1, but the bottom part is at #3 already, I can't secure the bottom--it's as high as it can go. Kinda weird. Any advice?

Did you ever figure this out? I need to move my Knee armor up and find the same problem you describe.
I thought that I could buy the "pro", thinking they were bigger. but after looking at the dimensions of the "pro" and measuring the armor in there already. They are the SAME size.
Old 08-26-2013, 09:00 PM   #81
thorinoakenshield
ya mo be there

Oddometer: 443
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael bell View Post
Better 'skinny little euro boy' than 'most obese nation in the world big fat supersize yank' size!
Great first post! Welcome to advrider!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elusion View Post
Did you ever figure this out? I need to move my Knee armor up and find the same problem you describe.
I thought that I could buy the "pro", thinking they were bigger. but after looking at the dimensions of the "pro" and measuring the armor in there already. They are the SAME size.
Same size? lol. It's supposed to float mang!
No, I didn't figure it out. I bought some velcro but never put it on. You can get some high strength velcro and secure the the "3" in the photo.
I'm sure the velcro solution would work.
This has got to be an oversight by Klim. Maybe I should email them....
I think I will wear my dirtbike knee armor underneath. I fits well and covers a large area.
thorinoakenshield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 07:15 AM   #82
.fisher
pissin' in the wind

Oddometer: 114
I just purchased/received an Overland jacket from an inmate here in the Flea Market and have been watching this thread for a while, hoping to contribute a bit so here it goes…

Took the jacket out for an hour or so ride last night in about 82º / mild-humidity with a cotton t-shirt underneath. The pit-zips and exhausts do their job to keep your core cool, however some fore-arm vents would be nice. This wasn't technical riding by any means but I can see how doing some trail riding in this jacket you'd work up a good sweat. I'm not going to get into the breathability of the Gore-Tex because that's probably been beaten to death in some other Klim thread. It is what it is.

As some have stated the D3O in the shoulders and elbows is a bit thin, but the user can upgrade if they feel necessary.

Cut and patterning of the jacket is nicely done. It's obviously a more entry-level piece of gear but is still nicely patterned with good ergo's and sensible, thought out feature placement. I'm a lanky dude — about 6', 165lbs and find the medium to be a surprisingly perfect fit. It'll allow for layering from fleece to a low-fill down insulating jacket. Plenty of room for a pressure suit through the shoulders and sleeves.

Hope this helps anyone considering the jacket. FWIW, YMMV.
.fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 05:24 PM   #83
tcall52
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
The XT and the XT PRO pads are the exact same size except for the thickness. The PRO pads are about 50% thicker than the regular XTs.
tcall52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 12:15 PM   #84
squawk77
Dreamer

Oddometer: 481
As I read several times, the knee pads are way too low. The top of the pads are below my knee caps which feels weird. On the bike they feel ok, but I think they would fail to protect my knees. I flipped the pants inside out and there is velcro adjustments but it's not enough to move them into place. The armour itself feels really cool but it's much thinner than my Knox stuff. I'll just have to get the pockets modified somehow.

From reading I expected the Overland pants to be a more street fit compared to the Traverse. I don't have them side by side to compare, but find the Overland pants quite bulky which is great to me as I like to layer sometimes. The fit feels a bit unnatural until you're on the bike. The material of course is top notch. Very thick in places for abrasion and thin where possible. I'll probably even layer this suit for snowmobiling and snowboarding.
Old 10-09-2013, 09:29 PM   #85
seabiker
Adventurer

Oddometer: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by squawk77 View Post
As I read several times, the knee pads are way too low. The top of the pads are below my knee caps which feels weird. On the bike they feel ok, but I think they would fail to protect my knees. I flipped the pants inside out and there is velcro adjustments but it's not enough to move them into place. The armour itself feels really cool but it's much thinner than my Knox stuff. I'll just have to get the pockets modified somehow.

From reading I expected the Overland pants to be a more street fit compared to the Traverse. I don't have them side by side to compare, but find the Overland pants quite bulky which is great to me as I like to layer sometimes. The fit feels a bit unnatural until you're on the bike. The material of course is top notch. Very thick in places for abrasion and thin where possible. I'll probably even layer this suit for snowmobiling and snowboarding.
I just got mine and noticed this. Have you tried sticking self adhesive velcro strips to the back of the knee armor pads? They should then stick to the velcro behind. In addition can probably add a strip just above the opening to "lock" the armor in place. I'm going to try this...
seabiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 07:39 PM   #86
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 16,674
Overland jacket and Traverse pants have been the ideal combo for me.
The Traverse pant is cut much more comfortable for off-road riding than the Overland, where as the Overland is a better jacket than the Traverse.

Klim nailed the Traverse pant from the start and the Traverse jacket should have been built like the Overland from the get go.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Facebook - please come follow us:
https://www.facebook.com/butlermaps
eakins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 06:53 PM   #87
GS eh!
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 195
Arm Fit??

I have a traverse in XXL and I find it to be a great jacket.

My one complaint about the jacket is the stock D30 armour is pretty small. I wear a TekVest over the jacket and want proper elbow protection for off roading. If i pull out the D30 and wear my strap on elbow pads, i can barely get my arms into the jacket. The rest of the jacket is baggy enough to fit over my vest, but the arms are quite tight.

Can anyone comment on the Overland Jacket in way of the fit in the forearms?

I see they have added two cinch straps to help hold things in place, which is great, but are the arms any roomier?

Thanks for the input.
GS eh! is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 05:50 AM   #88
soupamoto
Singletrack Jedi

Oddometer: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by GS eh! View Post
I have a traverse in XXL and I find it to be a great jacket.

My one complaint about the jacket is the stock D30 armour is pretty small. I wear a TekVest over the jacket and want proper elbow protection for off roading. If i pull out the D30 and wear my strap on elbow pads, i can barely get my arms into the jacket. The rest of the jacket is baggy enough to fit over my vest, but the arms are quite tight.

Can anyone comment on the Overland Jacket in way of the fit in the forearms?

I see they have added two cinch straps to help hold things in place, which is great, but are the arms any roomier?

Thanks for the input.
I bought an Overland 2XL and it was unfortunately too big for me. I"m 6', 235 lbs, 34" arms and it was big all over (XL Badlands fit me). I didn't find the arms overly bagy, just long.

I have it for sale in the Gear section for $325 shipped, absolutely new with tags.
Old 11-03-2013, 06:13 AM   #89
rpet
Awesometown

Oddometer: 736
The arms fit me perfectly, but I weigh 160.
Read my homie's underway Africa trip RR - Round Africa with a Surboard
WTB: Clarke tank for DR650 for cheap - any color but blue.
rpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 09:29 PM   #90
saritaymike
2-up on a KLR!

Oddometer: 16
Overland not waterproof

I picked up a full set (pants and jacket) at Klim headquarters before starting my Prudhoe Bay to Ushuaia trip. Dawned the set for the first time in Prudhoe, and of course ran into some nice Alaska Dalton Highway rain right away. All I have to say is that within minutes my clothes underneath the jacket were moist. The water that accumulates on my seat soaked me right to the 'nads… I know their spiel about "submarine standards" is an exaggeration, but this was ridiculous.
Anyway, I'm now halfway through my trip, in Nicaragua. Tropical rains like bucketfuls are a daily occurrence, and my suit is completely soaked right away, so I've taken to wearing a waterproof jacket and pants over them. This does not even qualify as "water resistant." What a joke for a "well reputed" brand and the price tag.
Maybe it was the sale to Polaris. Maybe it is just the Overland. Hell, maybe just my jacket and pants. Still expected better. Anyone else test these in the rain? By the way, let's go ahead and stop kidding ourselves about the venting- they're a frickin' sauna.
saritaymike is offline   Reply With Quote