ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-03-2013, 09:01 AM   #436
Sfladvrider
Mr.n00b
 
Sfladvrider's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2013
Location: South Florida
Oddometer: 167
ahhhh this guy gets it i see what you did there

why they are comparing a 800cc with a 650cc i have no idea, you hit the nail on the head. you want to compare put the 650cc bikes together.

if you want a lighter more offroad bike then you would get one, but im guessing people would get the 800gsadv because they want the comforts it offers for long rides. but what would i know

Quote:
Originally Posted by veefer8 View Post
Funny reading this thread, if you want to blend the attributes of the f800 and the dr650 you should be thinking about the sertao. At 390 lbs and 50hp it's right there in the middle.


__________________
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

R.I.P '88 Honda cb1, '07 Honda crf 230, '12 Honda cbr 600rr

USCG 100 ton captain , Padi Divemaster , EMT (future paramedic) , FL Waterman .
Sfladvrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 05:35 PM   #437
speed_racer
Studly Adventurer
 
speed_racer's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Oddometer: 706
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sfladvrider View Post
am i missing something ?
obviously.. everyone is referring to you as being one lucky bloke as your mrs is hot
__________________
13' KTM 1190 Adventure R
KLX650R

RIP - BMW F650 GS Twin
speed_racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 05:41 PM   #438
Snowy
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Oddometer: 1,650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sfladvrider View Post
ahhhh this guy gets it i see what you did there

why they are comparing a 800cc with a 650cc i have no idea, you hit the nail on the head. you want to compare put the 650cc bikes together.
No, clearly you don't.

As discussed previously, a lot of people with the 650's want to UPGRADE - ie, take a step forward or upward, transcend to a new level of awesomeness, GET A BETTER BIKE.

In short, depending on WHAT YOU WANT TO DO WITH IT, it may just be a heavy, poorly suspended bucket of shit.


Is that clear enough for you now? Do I need to break it on down some more?

If you were going to drop the coin on the F800GSA and get a bike that weighs as much as the 1200, but performs just like a 650 I think you'd be pretty disappointed.


I know I was. But clearly you GET IT, or you have a much lower expectation level.
Snowy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 06:18 PM   #439
speed_racer
Studly Adventurer
 
speed_racer's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Oddometer: 706
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowy View Post
No, clearly you don't.

As discussed previously, a lot of people with the 650's want to UPGRADE - ie, take a step forward or upward, transcend to a new level of awesomeness, GET A BETTER BIKE.

In short, depending on WHAT YOU WANT TO DO WITH IT, it may just be a heavy, poorly suspended bucket of shit.


Is that clear enough for you now? Do I need to break it on down some more?

If you were going to drop the coin on the F800GSA and get a bike that weighs as much as the 1200, but performs just like a 650 I think you'd be pretty disappointed.


I know I was. But clearly you GET IT, or you have a much lower expectation level.
They don't perform like a 650.. the twin doesn't feel like your riding a washing machine down the freeway, more like a bum massager..

Honestly though, the suspension is better than the G650 and has more upgrades available to make it great! Plus the power difference is heaps 31hp makes a difference.. ;)

still though, its short of 150hp ahem "KTM 1190 which weighs the same" cough.. lol
__________________
13' KTM 1190 Adventure R
KLX650R

RIP - BMW F650 GS Twin
speed_racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 07:57 PM   #440
Sfladvrider
Mr.n00b
 
Sfladvrider's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2013
Location: South Florida
Oddometer: 167
Thumbs down

I did drop the coin on the f800GSA, Bikes f**king awesome.
and i like that fact that i can right now without a damn thing done to it take it around the world

not buy a 650 suzuki and them spend the time buying parts putting it together so you can go around the world

plus the bmw is a goodlooking bike and the suzuki dosn't do anything for me

but whatever gets your P*&&y wet

all i was saying you can't compare a f800 and a drz650 there different classes of bikes
but if you compared the gs650 with the drz650...get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowy View Post
No, clearly you don't.

As discussed previously, a lot of people with the 650's want to UPGRADE - ie, take a step forward or upward, transcend to a new level of awesomeness, GET A BETTER BIKE.

In short, depending on WHAT YOU WANT TO DO WITH IT, it may just be a heavy, poorly suspended bucket of shit.


Is that clear enough for you now? Do I need to break it on down some more?

If you were going to drop the coin on the F800GSA and get a bike that weighs as much as the 1200, but performs just like a 650 I think you'd be pretty disappointed.


I know I was. But clearly you GET IT, or you have a much lower expectation level.
__________________
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

R.I.P '88 Honda cb1, '07 Honda crf 230, '12 Honda cbr 600rr

USCG 100 ton captain , Padi Divemaster , EMT (future paramedic) , FL Waterman .
Sfladvrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 08:01 PM   #441
Sfladvrider
Mr.n00b
 
Sfladvrider's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2013
Location: South Florida
Oddometer: 167
AH YES...but With great power comes great responsibility and a even bigger headache



Quote:
Originally Posted by speed_racer View Post
obviously.. everyone is referring to you as being one lucky bloke as your mrs is hot
__________________
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

R.I.P '88 Honda cb1, '07 Honda crf 230, '12 Honda cbr 600rr

USCG 100 ton captain , Padi Divemaster , EMT (future paramedic) , FL Waterman .
Sfladvrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 08:13 PM   #442
speed_racer
Studly Adventurer
 
speed_racer's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Oddometer: 706
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sfladvrider View Post
AH YES...but With great power comes great responsibility and a even bigger headache
lol spoken like a true man who chases the high maintenance ones...

BMW included..
__________________
13' KTM 1190 Adventure R
KLX650R

RIP - BMW F650 GS Twin
speed_racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 08:17 PM   #443
Sfladvrider
Mr.n00b
 
Sfladvrider's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2013
Location: South Florida
Oddometer: 167
....touché.

but atleast im touchén that ass tonight

Quote:
Originally Posted by speed_racer View Post
lol spoken like a true man who chases the high maintenance ones...

BMW included..
__________________
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

R.I.P '88 Honda cb1, '07 Honda crf 230, '12 Honda cbr 600rr

USCG 100 ton captain , Padi Divemaster , EMT (future paramedic) , FL Waterman .
Sfladvrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 08:49 PM   #444
veefer8
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: Rossland bc
Oddometer: 39
F800 vs sertao

Ah yes. When your fully loaded 800 is lying upside down and you can't pick it up all you need to do is think about how great it looks and feels riding down the hwy. lol.
No really that is a point for the f8.


veefer8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 09:09 PM   #445
speed_racer
Studly Adventurer
 
speed_racer's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Oddometer: 706
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sfladvrider View Post
....touché.

but atleast im touchén that ass tonight
lol or riding that great looking GSA if the head belonging to that ass decides it has a headache or read this post
__________________
13' KTM 1190 Adventure R
KLX650R

RIP - BMW F650 GS Twin
speed_racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 09:10 PM   #446
GPHusky250
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2013
Location: Oceanside, CA
Oddometer: 441
Whine, bitch, moan, complain. In a few years when your wife is driving you around in the car, you're wearing Depends, breakfast consists of an assortment of pills, you go to the bathroom 10 times a night and sex is something you remember doing, it isn't going to matter much if the guy rode a Suzuki, KTM, BMW and it won't matter what size engine that's in it...you'll just miss riding and would ride a washing machine if it took you deep into the back woods. We argue about such stupid things.

Here...watch this video and then just go out and ride!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vksdBSVAM6g
GPHusky250 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 09:23 PM   #447
speed_racer
Studly Adventurer
 
speed_racer's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Oddometer: 706
Quote:
Originally Posted by veefer8 View Post
Ah yes. When your fully loaded 800 is lying upside down and you can't pick it up all you need to do is think about how great it looks and feels riding down the hwy. lol.
No really that is a point for the f8.
lol however at least when he gets off his f800 his ass doesn't feel like its being past around like candy at a prison..

Not to mention he will get off the bike about 2 hours before the g650 rider due to speed..

But the one denominator in this is you dont buy a bike to lay it upside down in the first place. But if you do, a wet weight of a G650 192kg (+ luggage) still isnt going to be light to pick up..

But if your riding a f800 that fr 230mm/rr 215mm suspension might give you the ground clearance/better travel you needed to not hit the rock that tipped you in the first place compared to the G650's fr 170mm/rr 140mm..

__________________
13' KTM 1190 Adventure R
KLX650R

RIP - BMW F650 GS Twin
speed_racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 09:28 PM   #448
speed_racer
Studly Adventurer
 
speed_racer's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Oddometer: 706
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPHusky250 View Post
Whine, bitch, moan, complain. In a few years when your wife is driving you around in the car, you're wearing Depends, breakfast consists of an assortment of pills, you go to the bathroom 10 times a night and sex is something you remember doing, it isn't going to matter much if the guy rode a Suzuki, KTM, BMW and it won't matter what size engine that's in it...you'll just miss riding and would ride a washing machine if it took you deep into the back woods. We argue about such stupid things.

Here...watch this video and then just go out and ride!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vksdBSVAM6g
your right! and fkn awesome video!!
__________________
13' KTM 1190 Adventure R
KLX650R

RIP - BMW F650 GS Twin
speed_racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 11:04 PM   #449
Snowy
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Oddometer: 1,650
Speed racer should work for BMW marketing.

This thread is supposed to be about the GSA and why it's an alternative to other bikes in the market place. Like many things in life, the GSA is a compromise.

For the weight, the price, the performance and the capability, the BMW is NOT a step up from a 650, in my humble opinion as the owner of both.

It's an alternative to a 650. As in, if you did more freeway work than dirt, you'd buy the 800, more off road work than freeway you'd go for a 650. Any 650.

The F8GSA weighs the same as the older model R1200GS. At best it comes within a tank of fuel of it. Sure, the weight balance in an F8 is better. Barely.

Is an F8 better on the freeway than a big single....yeah....only just, the more freeway you do the betteran alternative it is. Is it lighter and easier to handle in the dirt than a 1200....barely. Is it better on the open road than a 1200...any 1200 adventure bike...not by a long shot. Not even close.

Get over the fact you dropped the coin on a BMW. It's just a BMW. It is in no way the best manufacturer in the market. It is just another manufacturer in the market. Depending on what you want it for it may well float your boat.

That's the reality of the situation. Yes, I have an F800GS, I have 2 x DR650, and I have a ZX6. I love my F800, but it is nothing like yours, it is very different to the GSA model. I wouldn't waste the money on the GSA model. The GSA has more in common with the 600~650 class, and in some ways more in common with the 1200 class than is good for it.

And yes, the KTM1190AdvR is a game changer. To be honest, I think BMW wont even attempt to tackle it head on in the market. They will offer an alternative either side of it, and spend as little as possible on the R and F series. Why? Because people like you guys will keep buying them and telling anyone who'll listen that they are the best thing since sliced bread. In other words, they'll sell them regardless because of the name.

Is it the compromise for you? The fact that you chose one doesn't make it the best thing in the market place. It's the best thing in the market place for you.

It certainly isn't the compromise for me. I wouldn't waste the money. I can spend a third of it and have just as much fun. Or spend the same money and have a whole lot more fun.

So for someone looking at a new bike, upgrading from a smaller bike, or sizing down with the hope of doing more off road work than a 1200, take it all with a dose of salt. New owners who write in here will split into 2 categories, those that bought a piece of shit they can't stand, or those who bought the greatest bike ever built. Do the numbers. Be honest with yourself about your abilities and what you want out of the bike. Be prepared to either live with a compromise, or modify the bike.
Snowy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 11:06 PM   #450
Sfladvrider
Mr.n00b
 
Sfladvrider's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2013
Location: South Florida
Oddometer: 167
another person who gets it ..... dropped it about 2 times today florida sand is tricky with no knobs but damn do those crash bars work and im getting some muscles picking it up

Quote:
Originally Posted by speed_racer View Post
lol however at least when he gets off his f800 his ass doesn't feel like its being past around like candy at a prison..

Not to mention he will get off the bike about 2 hours before the g650 rider due to speed..

But the one denominator in this is you dont buy a bike to lay it upside down in the first place. But if you do, a wet weight of a G650 192kg (+ luggage) still isnt going to be light to pick up..

But if your riding a f800 that fr 230mm/rr 215mm suspension might give you the ground clearance/better travel you needed to not hit the rock that tipped you in the first place compared to the G650's fr 170mm/rr 140mm..

__________________
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

R.I.P '88 Honda cb1, '07 Honda crf 230, '12 Honda cbr 600rr

USCG 100 ton captain , Padi Divemaster , EMT (future paramedic) , FL Waterman .
Sfladvrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 01:38 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014