Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-03-2013, 01:21 PM   #106
dhubbard422
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting32 View Post
Our club sets up a trials about as good as a nationals most years, except we don't really have to worry about 2 lines, PRO & EXPERT in "nationals" speak difficulty at least. BUT, Those could easily be added, and are for a nationals, why not just have a regular club meet more or less, but with afternoon classes only maybe, due to time and judges.
I don't know... Maybe it could work. Maybe not. IMO, one of the problems with the Clubman line is that it can be really challenging to find meaningful obstacles for the Clubman level rider in the same sections that offer tasty obstacles for the Pro level riders. Sometimes there are Pro only or Pro/Expert only sections just because the club hasn't been able to find enough sections that offer challenges for all lines (this was true even before the Clubman line was added). Unfortunately, this just adds to the effort required by the club in terms of effort to set the sections and finding enough judges for the additional sections (I've also learned that most folks do not enjoy observing a Pro only section as there is so much time waiting and so little observing). As someone who has had the task of recruiting judges for a Nat'l, I would be somewhat cautious about adding too many Pro/Expert only sections (it can be hard to find sufficient volunteers without adding any addition sections to the mix).

Consider the format used by the El Trials de Espana. It is an event for all classes. The Pros usually zero the regular event... and then the Pros ride 3 Pro only sections after the regular event is done. This is a great event - one that I'd like to ride again someday - but a Nat'l trials is a full day of sections geared for the Pro rider and it is a very different type of event.

Some years, the Sooner Cup has emulated the El Trial with a Pro ride off and it'd be great if more clubs offered these kind of events, but they are different from a Nat'l (or at least any Nat'l that I've ridden).

When the Nat'ls started (late '70s?), I believe that there were only two lines. As trials skills advanced, the difference in obstacle difficulty between the accomplished club-level rider and that of the Pro dramatically increased and additional lines have been added to fill the gap in skill. However, just as it is hard (but not impossible) to set a single section that is satisfying to both the morning and the afternoon club-level rider, it is similarly difficult to set a section that provides a good challenge for the lower class afternoon rider (i.e. a rider that is just starting to learn the advanced techniques) and the Pro.

The great differences in skill may dictate different events. Maybe.
dhubbard422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 05:27 PM   #107
flo10
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting32 View Post
I think, at some point, the same has to be said for the nationals. now sure, "technically" since it is "me" against the "trials master" technically... It is, but what I am saying is different. There is still more to it. I reiterate, I will not spend $1000 to enter an event where the outcome is obvious to me, where I myself will be competing against Dustin Land, Marc Carpenter, and those top riders from my area. IF I wanted to enter the MASTER CLASS at my club, even if the masters would RIDE MY SECTIONS (intermediate) the outcome is ordained, if they even show up (or hell ordained if they DON'T show up). Now if I ride against Mike Cramsey, and those guys I usually ride with, the outcome is more than flip of the coin, nor Ordained.
So here's a thought. For the Clubman class instead of giving out trophies for first, second, third, etc., give out gold, silver, and bronze medals for how well you do against the "Trials Master"--not how well you do against the other riders. Gold medal for not scoring more than a single dab in any or all sections (no 2s, 3s or 5s on score card). Silver medal for not scoring more than two dabs in any or all sections (no 3s or 5s on score card). And Bronze medal for not scoring more than three dabs in any or all sections (no 5s on score card). And then there could be special end of year awards for achieving all gold, silver or bronze awards in the individual events.
Of course sections would have to be set up appropriately to make it possible to achieve these scores. And the Trials Master should have the authority to throw out any sections that proved too difficult and made it impossible for any rider to receive a medal. Just a thought.
flo10 is offline   Reply With Quote