ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-25-2013, 05:43 PM   #1951
Katoom119
Mmmm....Orange Kool-aid

Oddometer: 1,784
Nice ride Augie. That's the first Harley I've ever seen that I actually like. Wanted to ride today but this damn school keeps getting in the way.

Might be able to get out this Saturday though...

5 Cylinders vs. Moab..........My East Tennessee.........Internships may go to Hell and I will go to Alaska
Katoom119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 06:58 PM   #1952
augiedog
augie dog

Oddometer: 705
sunday ride

had a real good ride today with john and numa. we took some back roads to falston and rode old 18 to morganton where we took 181 up the mt. to jonas ridge. we met some wild dude on a real nice vmax who rode up old 18 to morganton. we were all glad when he decided to turn back. we then proceeded to louise's famous resturant where we had a nice lunch with a real nice waitress. john and myself had the special { roast beef } , numa had a burger. from there we rode over to roseboro where we ran down the old roseboro road (gravel } to coletsville , thru mormiter, and brown mt. beach road to pavement. we then picked up piedmont rd. to 64 to 70 to valdese, up over valdese mt to 18 and back down 27 to charlotte. I showed a little over 150 miles round trip and no rain, imagine that. I rode my new harley xr 1200 r, newman was on his v strom 650. and john on his v strom 1000. hope we can do another ride soon. ya'll missed a good one. here are a few pictures I took on the ride. vmax the wild dude was riding. intersection near edgemont and roseboro rd about 30 miles of gravel today.
augiedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 04:46 AM   #1953
BluRidgeRider
Long Rider

Oddometer: 559
At Famous Louise's, I think each of us began to fall in love with our waitress. That is, right up until we discovered her one -- and I'm guessing only -- fatal flaw. When Jon asked her for her thoughts on the pork that was listed on the daily special, she replied "I don't know; I don't eat meat. It's disgusting!"

The ride was great! I had looked at Roseboro Rd. on the maps several times, but had not ridden it until yesterday. Well worth the effort!

Thank you Jon for organizing the ride and thank you Augie and Jon for leading.

Numa
BluRidgeRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 05:14 AM   #1954
VStromNC
DNS/DNF

Oddometer: 765
Augie,

Love that XR1200! I will post our route later today.

Jon
Old 08-26-2013, 10:27 AM   #1955
sailorcolin
sailor

Oddometer: 57
My brother and I will be there!
sailorcolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 01:31 PM   #1956
VStromNC
DNS/DNF

Oddometer: 765
Here is a screenshot of our ride on Sunday. 277 miles total door to door according to my Zumo. If anyone wants the GDB or GPX files, please PM me.

Jon
Old 08-27-2013, 06:12 PM   #1957
BluRidgeRider
Long Rider

Downloaded one more photo of Numa Jr. from US129Photos.com. This was taken on his second pass of Deals Gap -- headed from TN back into NC.

Eighteen Years In The Making

BluRidgeRider/Numa Sr.
Old 08-27-2013, 07:02 PM   #1958
JoeyBones OP
Encouraging Entropy

Oddometer: 1,371
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluRidgeRider View Post
Downloaded one more photo of Numa Jr. from US129Photos.com. This was taken on his second pass of Deals Gap -- headed from TN back into NC.
Nice Father/Son activity!
One State left to ride: Hawaii. IBA #48773.
Check out my Motorcycle Courier Adventures or the Charlotte Ride Planning & 3rd Thursday Pizza-Meet

"I picked up a nice burlap thong. It makes me feel pretty." - BluRidgeRider
JoeyBones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 08:27 AM   #1959
NitroRoo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 357
Ride report from our trip out to the BRT! What an adventure...

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=915248
Old 09-04-2013, 08:48 PM   #1960
BOIKE333
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 317
ride report

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroRoo View Post

Nitroroo-awesome RR, nice footage and dialogue to go along with..............don't know how that 350 is still running after you rung its neck for days on end! NICE JOB

Anybody want to try and wreck their DS on Sunday morning with a local ride?
Old 09-05-2013, 03:59 AM   #1961
XCRider803
Loftin' the wheel

Oddometer: 770
Quote:

Awesome RR! Good video, makes me want to find a little DR or something.
XCRider803 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 06:22 PM   #1962
BluRidgeRider
Long Rider

Chasing Augie

I worked in my office Saturday afternoon and evening on projects that kept getting interrupted during the normal work week. By the time I left the office I decided I had made sufficient progress to justify playing all day Sunday. I called Augie to see if he was game for a ride to the mountains on Sunday and got an affirmative response. Augie asked me where I was planning to ride and I told him that didn’t have a specific route planned, but I was hoping to ride across NC Rt. 80 during part of the ride.

I met Augie in Bessemer City at 9:00 AM on Sunday morning and he told me he’d been looking at maps the night before and had some ideas for a good route. I responded that I needed to be back to Charlotte by mid-night at the latest, but was up for anywhere he wanted to ride. (If I ever decide to bag the corporate world and start a motorcycle travel service, Augie will be at the top of my list to contact for route planning and guide services.)

Augie had just made some changes to the primary gearing on his new XR1200 and was anxious to try it out. As we motored north on Rt 274, just before Cherryville we came across a doe standing in a field of soybeans with the smallest fawn either of us had ever seen. We circled back in an attempt to capture a photo, but the doe and fawn had moved to the far side of the field and then disappeared into the woods as we came to a stop. Augie described it perfectly when he said the fawn looked like a Chihuahua standing next to the doe.

Augie took us across back roads up to Marion and we then headed west on Rt 70. Next we headed north on Route 80 up to the Eastern Continental Divide. That stretch of road was filled with twists, turns, great views and was noticeably devoid of traffic. As we approached the top portion of the climb, we met a group of MotoGP enthusiasts headed down the mountain on their sport bikes clad in full leathers complete with aero speed humps. (Who among us would have ever guessed that the Hunchback of Notre Dame was at the leading edge of motorcycle fashion?)

The dam at Lake Tahoma.

Lake Tahoma.

Crossing the Continental Divide.

We stopped for a break at the top of the mountain and while snapping some photos heard the roar of sport bikes headed up the mountain in the same direction we had just traversed. The Hunchback riding club came swarming back up Rt. 80 and pulled to a stop at the scenic overlook. High fives and tales of foot peg scrapping, kickstand scrapping and other heroics ensued.

We continued north on Rt. 80 into Tennessee and took a series of roads up to Unicoi and over to Erwin for a Mexican lunch that turned out to be Chinese. (How many different ways can you spell/pronounce General Tso’s Chicken?) The Mexican restaurant had been replaced by Chinese and it was conveniently located right beside a Family Dollar Store. Augie dropped his sun glasses on the pavement and they broke beyond repair. Since he was wearing an open face helmet, he would need glasses for the ride back. After lunch (How much tip do you leave at a Chinese Buffet anyway?), I waited with the bikes while Augie went shopping for new designer shades. As he walked to the Dollar Store, a woman of size pulled her Hyundai into the parking space beside us and starting asking me questions about our bikes. In her younger days, she had “dated a guy with a Harley” and went to Daytona for Bike Weeks that were “wild” and where she “did crazy things”. But she assured me that "she was younger back then.” When she started asking me if I rode alone or had someone to ride with me on my bike, I was hoping that Augie would make a quick purchase decision so we could get back on the road. He did and we did.

We took a variety of roads back south including TN SR 143 that becomes NC SR 261 at the border.

Tennessee State Route 143.

Route 143 scenic view.

The bikes at a Rt 143 overlook.

Dueling cameras – Augie shooting me shooting Augie.

We continued our ride south and then took a slight detour across Rt 183 past Linville Falls so that we could ride down Rt 181 into Morganton and then south on Old NC 18. In a day full of perfect riding weather and twisty roads, we needed one more stretch of curves before calling it a day. Augie was happy with the gearing change he had made to his sweet XR – a little less bottom end grunt; lower revolutions at speed; and a bit better gas mileage.

The route we took – beginning and ending at Bessemer City – is shown below. I’m sure that Augie would be willing to share the details of all the roads we took or even guide you across the same. Just ask him. Chasing Augie is always an adventure!

Augie: Thanks for sharing those roads with me and for saving me from Ms. Harley. It turned out to be the perfect ending to a weekend.

Numa

Check out -- Eighteen Years in the Making

Maps can only lead to conjecture, whereas proof is born in the ride.

BluRidgeRider screwed with this post 09-10-2013 at 05:37 PM
Old 09-10-2013, 06:54 PM   #1963
augiedog
augie dog

Oddometer: 705
sunday ride

Numa, I really injoyed your company and the ride we took sunday. Look forward to doing it again soon. Hopefully we can get a few others to tag along. Here are a few pictures I took sunday.
augiedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 06:24 AM   #1964
NitroRoo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 357
nice writeup guys. I did a very similar route on Sunday myself - but I did it backwards from you guys. Up Old 18, up 181, across the BRP and back down 80. It was a last minute ride, I didn't hop on the bike until 3pm - but wow was it nice up there!

Old 09-11-2013, 07:15 PM   #1965
BOIKE333
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 317
North Cove

Quote:
nice writeup guys. I did a very similar route on Sunday myself - but I did it backwards from you guys. Up Old 18, up 181, across the BRP and back down 80. It was a last minute ride, I didn't hop on the bike until 3pm - but wow was it nice up there!

Just my 2 pennies but I think that the north cove valley may be the finest in NC....might not hear the end of that comment!
Nice shot ROO

AND DON'T FORGET, RIDE YOUR DS BIKES TOO!