ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-04-2013, 10:27 AM   #25141
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,407
Quote:
Originally Posted by klim86 View Post
Hey guys Im trying to get a few people together for a ride possibly this weekend. Im still relatively new to the area especially in the area of places to ride. I know one person for sure who is up for the ride but is a little gun shy about riding off road with out a guide.

Let me know.

Klim
FWIW - I will be leaving early Saturday morning (6-ish) for a run to Hacker Valley, WV for lunch at Rella's. Bike undecided at this point.

If the Connie, will head to Mill Creek on 250 (all slab), then CR. 46 all the way through Helvetia and Czar to Rte. 20 (all paved), then south on 20 to Rella's.

If the KLR, ditto the first part, but will head south in Helvetia to Pickens and take the Hacker Valley Road (dirt) on to Rte. 20 and on south to Rella's.

Due to the length of the trip and time, won't have too much time to play. Route home will either be a reverse, or south on Rte. 20 to Webster Springs, Rte. 15 out to Valley Head on Rte 219, south on 219 to Marlinton, then Rte. 39 east to Lexington. Depending on time, may pick up Rte. 60 and run it back to RVA, or get on 64 and run it back.

Just so you know, I very rarely stop except for gas, so it'll pretty much be a straight through burn; it's the way I travel/ride.

If interested, lemme know.

Old 09-04-2013, 11:42 AM   #25142
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester

Oddometer: 2,127
I might be in for that. I'll let you know Friday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Young View Post
FWIW - I will be leaving early Saturday morning (6-ish) for a run to Hacker Valley, WV for lunch at Rella's. Bike undecided at this point.

If the Connie, will head to Mill Creek on 250 (all slab), then CR. 46 all the way through Helvetia and Czar to Rte. 20 (all paved), then south on 20 to Rella's.

If the KLR, ditto the first part, but will head south in Helvetia to Pickens and take the Hacker Valley Road (dirt) on to Rte. 20 and on south to Rella's.

Due to the length of the trip and time, won't have too much time to play. Route home will either be a reverse, or south on Rte. 20 to Webster Springs, Rte. 15 out to Valley Head on Rte 219, south on 219 to Marlinton, then Rte. 39 east to Lexington. Depending on time, may pick up Rte. 60 and run it back to RVA, or get on 64 and run it back.

Just so you know, I very rarely stop except for gas, so it'll pretty much be a straight through burn; it's the way I travel/ride.

jgiacobbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 12:01 PM   #25143
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgiacobbe View Post
Sounds good. Lemme know.

Old 09-04-2013, 01:04 PM   #25144
klim86
veteran

Oddometer: 166
That sounds like an awesome ride but my buddy and I are looking for something a little more local to the tri-cities/Richmond area.

Quote:

Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back. ― Heraclitus

'04 V-strom 1000, '06 XR650L(sold)
klim86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 01:12 PM   #25145
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

"Bolt-on" aftermarket stuff sucks! Absolutely sucks.

And that's all I have to say about that.

Hate it!

Old 09-04-2013, 01:16 PM   #25146
MAN OF BLUES
COG #5977 EX-TECH EDITOR

Oddometer: 3,234
Thumb

Quote:

.........Just so you know, I very rarely stop except for gas, so it'll pretty much be a straight through burn; it's the way I travel/ride.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgiacobbe View Post
be careful what you are asking for.... he ain't kidding about not stopping....

pretty much he rolls till he needs gas, and on the Conni, that can mean 4-5 hours.... better pray for a traffic jam, so you can put your feet down.... heheheheheheheh

Hey Guy, did you know that Joe Cypri is planning on being in Boyer for the weekend? I think it's a Wing thing, Friday till Sunday, just thought I give ya a headsup...
MAN OF BLUES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 01:36 PM   #25147
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAN OF BLUES View Post
be careful what you are asking for.... he ain't kidding about not stopping....

pretty much he rolls till he needs gas, and on the Conni, that can mean 4-5 hours.... better pray for a traffic jam, so you can put your feet down.... heheheheheheheh

Hey Guy, did you know that Joe Cypri is planning on being in Boyer for the weekend? I think it's a Wing thing, Friday till Sunday, just thought I give ya a headsup...
No, I didn't but will check it out if I/we have time. Had to chuckle when a vision suddenly popped in my head about your pulling off in Asheville for gas on the way to TWO late one night. Thought for sure you were going to drop the bike before you got your legs working again.

Good times.....................

Old 09-04-2013, 02:46 PM   #25148
Whitfield
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 194
Quote:
Hey guys Im trying to get a few people together for a ride possibly this weekend. Im still relatively new to the area especially in the area of places to ride. I know one person for sure who is up for the ride but is a little gun shy about riding off road with out a guide.

Let me know.

Klim

I have plans with the family this weekend. But if something falls through and I can ride I will let you know.

Called Husky and they have my parts in hand. Sending them out UPS this evening.
Whitfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 04:02 PM   #25149
klim86
veteran

Oddometer: 166
That's awesome news about the side cover, esp since up until now it didn't seem hopeful. Keep me posted if your plans fall through.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitfield View Post
I have plans with the family this weekend. But if something falls through and I can ride I will let you know.

Called Husky and they have my parts in hand. Sending them out UPS this evening.
Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back. ― Heraclitus

'04 V-strom 1000, '06 XR650L(sold)
klim86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 07:39 PM   #25150
firedad415
trying to speak dirt

Oddometer: 142
new in town

Checking in!

Just moved to the Richmond area from Portsmouth. Met Jersey Mark at a local bike shop today while getting the Tenere inspected. Nice, to meet you Mark... look forward to hitting some roads.
I have had the Tenere for right at a year now and absolutely love it!
1 John 1:3
firedad415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 09:39 PM   #25151
Jeff Munn
Just along for the ride..

Oddometer: 2,019
Richmond mini S500 in October. Which weekend?

Okay, I'v got people asking me to set the date. Before we throw it out there one last time, I'll offer a synopsis of the plan.

Some can't make the S500, or can't afford it. Or like me, are too cheap to pay for it since I live in that area most of the time. So I proposed a Richmond ADV riders weekend in Pendleton County at my family's place, where all can camp Friday, and then recreate the S500 over the weekend with riders who have the roll charts/digital tracks. Ride about 160 miles Saturday, camp Sat night at my place, ride 160 miles Sunday, then head home.

I have lots of land, spring water, indoor toilets, two grills, a big honking fire pit and lots of wood. If everyone pitches in with donations for food, I could have some type of breakfast each morning, coffee, eggs, etc. And then have the kitchen open for dinner. The grills would be available for all to burn meat.

Trust me, the night sky there is un-freaking believable. It is the perfect dark sky location. Some have volunteered to lead the rides on each day, so we can break down into small groups to ride.

This should all be big bike friendly, and most could do it on Tourance tires. Don't believe there is any single track, but there are numerous water crossings. If it does rain, I would at least put a big knobby on the front. I'll probably ride my elephant of the R1150GS.

So please PM me with your choice for which weekend it should be. The choices are 18-20 Oct, or 25-27 October. This is a free "camping" weekend, but since my wife is starting a rustic B&B at the farm, she actually said I could rent out some of the rooms inside. We also have a nice camping cabin on the Farm that has three beds in it, spring water, and solar lights. (The outhouse is out the back.) That is available too. You can PM me for details.

So PM me now with your choice for the weekend date. I'd almost prefer the 25-27 Oct date, but it can get really cold that late in the year. Our place is at 2600 feet elevation. It should be down in the 20's at night by then.

Let's hear the votes!

18-20 Oct
Rimbenty?
Jeff Munn
draley

25-27 Oct
Rimbenty and son?
Jeff Munn
Dirtmonkey8
Eddy Alvarez
pplassm
Dr Whipit
Halfplate (tentatively)
ddlewis (tentatively)
dirtdoctor

2004 ADVRider Mileage Champion 48,350 miles

Riding Central America Feb 2006

England to China Apr-Aug 2007

Central America Ride Planning and Road Wisdom

Jeff Munn screwed with this post 09-05-2013 at 01:16 PM
Jeff Munn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 10:53 PM   #25152
MrSandman818
INaVANdownBYtheRIVER

Oddometer: 814
Quote:

Let me know.

Klim
When I get my bike back together I'd love to go for a ride.
1978 Batavus 48
MrSandman818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 05:58 AM   #25153
Dirtmonkey8
VA is for Riders

Oddometer: 1,059
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Munn View Post
Okay, I'v got people asking me to set the date.
Let's hear the votes!

18-20 Oct
Rimbenty?
Jeff Munn

25-27 Oct
Rimbenty and son?
Jeff Munn
Dirtmonkey8
Eddy Alvarez
pplassm
Dr Whipit
I am pretty sure I can do either weekend. I just have to keep the wife happy until then and continue to get these projects finished. Man! I can't believe it will be that cold in just a few weeks! Good thing you have wood to burn. Thanks again, Jeff. This is really nice of you. I am looking forward to riding in a place where I don't know what is around every turn.
Old 09-05-2013, 06:05 AM   #25154
kwn306
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 475
Quote:
"Bolt-on" aftermarket stuff sucks! Absolutely sucks.

And that's all I have to say about that.

Hate it!

Would that be the aftermarket bolt on sh*t on Sue's BMW?
Old 09-05-2013, 06:39 AM   #25155
ddlewis
squirrel

Oddometer: 1,557
Quote:

Let me know.

Klim

Hey Klim, I'll ride. Do you have a plan in mind? Won't have time to make it to the mountains this weekend, but if you're staying local I'll meet up with y'all.
ddlewis is offline   Reply With Quote