Great Western Trail Tracks Wanted bits and pieces OK!!!!

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - West & PNW' started by Buddy_Holly, Dec 27, 2009.

1. HogWild

HogWild Skott Whitknee

Oddometer:
    There are actually 5 "roads" South of the highway that go down the lower part of the mountain. The one Jerry just did is the farthest North. The one I think you did is the furthest South. There are two more near the Southern-most one. One is fine up or down, but the other is impossible up, and may require some walking or "trials" riding the bike down (as Russell and I did). The only one I haven't done is in one of Crawdaddy's old tracks. It's roughly half way between the one Jerry just did, and the one furthest South. It's also impossible up, and partial walk the bike down (not much actual road the last quarter mile), plus you have to go way around a fence at the bottom.

North of the highway there are several more roads, some of which are impossible up and very challenging down.
  2. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have heard of and maybe seen pics of the Kane trail. It sounded pretty tough.

We are going to do another trip in that general area sometime. I see there is a shortcut from Bar 10 to the road to Toroweap. I think I have heard that it is pretty hard. Any opinions?
  3. HogWild

HogWild Skott Whitknee

Oddometer:
    Do you mean the road that goes East over Mt Trumbull instead of North to the school then East on the deluxe road? Climbing the mountain from Bar 10 is really nasty and rocky. I would not consider it fun. But once you get to the top, it's really nice in the trees. You have to be careful because one of the roads after the top has a locked gate, so you have to go a bit North at the top to get around the gated area. Of course this is all 50 miles East of the GWT.

This is where you make the choice:
    http://www.panoramio.com/photo/8587625

[​IMG]
  4. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    That sounds like the one I mean. I think I saw some pics of it Crawdaddy's original Grand Canyon Loop RR. And I think his tracks also show the locked gate road.

I don't what we will really do on our next trip yet. But we will probably skip that Mt. Trumbull road.

I have seen some recent ride reports that imply getting gas at Bar 10 is not as big a deal as I used to believe. Somebody mentioned that they seemed to have plenty and only charged him $7/gal.

I guess this is getting a little too far off the GWT subject.
  5. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    Got results of my trip added to my file and updated file on GPSXchange.com

I have Active log tracks from Mexico up to Hwy 40 just north of Strawberry Lake in Utah. Hope to get to Evenston WO in Sept.
  6. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    Out working again. Finished from Daniels summit to Evanston and Evanston to Hwy 89. Had to stop and wait for a Moose laying in rain puddle to get up and get off road!
  7. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thought I would finish today but threat of big rain cut day short. Only one 30mile section to check and I will have active logs from Nogales to the CDR at Ashton ID. Put on over 1,000 miles on this trip. Center knobs are totally gone on MT43.

I think I will stop on way home and record a connector from GWT to the start of the Tour of Idaho ride and another from CDR to ToI where they get close further north. ToI has much a better way ot Canada than CDR.
  8. rwamf

rwamf Follow me

Oddometer:
    You only got a 1000 miles out of an MT43???
    Jerry, I have 2600 on mine at the moment, very even wear all the way around, It's knobs are only about 1/4" tall but still works great. I run front and rear @ 14PSI.
    What air pressure are you running?
  9. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    I said I put on 1,400 mi on this trip! It was almost ready for replacement when I left. I bought a new one but was too cheap to put it on so took off with the old one.

I run 8 psi but on this trip, I would pump it up to 12-14 for long Hwy streaches.