Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-04-2013, 09:13 AM   #91
shaweetz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDY View Post
Not until much closer to event day, probably just a few days before. I'm still planning it these days. I will have my laptop at the event for on the spot uploads.
are we there yet?

Just wondering if there are any plans to release the tracks before Friday. It might save some time to avoid battling technology if some of us could load them in advance.

Cause tech always works sooo smoothly. Right?
shaweetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 10:58 AM   #92
huron52
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 170
If they aren't posted tonight, I will have to wait until tech inspect friday

No problem..... cause I'm following bungie
huron52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 12:37 PM   #93
TDY OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 193
That's odd, I thought I replied to your question but I must have hit the wrong button. Yes we will try to email the tracks tonight

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaweetz View Post
are we there yet?

Just wondering if there are any plans to release the tracks before Friday. It might save some time to avoid battling technology if some of us could load them in advance.

Cause tech always works sooo smoothly. Right?
'08 CRF100F (no trail too tight)
TDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 06:42 PM   #94
shaweetz
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDY View Post
That's odd, I thought I replied to your question but I must have hit the wrong button. Yes we will try to email the tracks tonight
Just going through the package now, looks awesome !
Old 09-04-2013, 08:04 PM   #95
bungie4
Frostback

Oddometer: 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by huron52 View Post
No problem..... cause I'm following bungie

Well I'm following the Gimp. I figure if I lose him.. er.. if he loses me, I know you'll at least have a functioning GPS that we can use.

BTW, the routing email arrived in my mailbox today. Unfortunately, DualSportPlus is holding my order, which includes the Ram mount for my 2820. No big woop. I figger were world traveling FJR riders. What could possibly go wrong

Course, I could just ride my FJR. I can mount the GPS to that.

2013 FJR1300, 2004 FJR1300, 2013 CRF250L
I have a job, I explore, I follow every little whiff.
On/Offroad help when you need it - http://www.assistancelist.com
bungie4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 12:53 PM   #96
dvs
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Post has been edited:

Sorry just re-read my post that I wrote on my phone, I think I sent the wrong message with the wording and all. Texting with the phone sucks.

Mainly concerned about the getting there for Tech, if I had to get my old GPS going again and what the overnight situation was for the bikes.

Based on the info that TE450 provided below I should be good on all points.

dvs screwed with this post 09-05-2013 at 04:06 PM
dvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 02:15 PM   #97
TE 450 Pilot
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvs View Post
so how many people do the leaders lose? I would presume that there's some catch up points?

I need to know if I should try to get my old gps working.

Tech is Friday? We're driving 6hours after work, no way we'll be able to make it for a Friday night Tech.

Also what do people do with the bikes overnight Saturday is there a place where you can chain up the bikes? Do you need to chain them up? OR do you load up and come back Sunday.
The trail leaders are good. Sweeps are as well. A great group. No need to worry if you are on the DS lead ride. You can go through Tech Saturday morning. I have only ever just took the key out of my bike. I guess if you are worried you can chain up your bike.

Be sure to thank the Guys and Gal who put a lot of hours into setting this up.

Randy
1976 Yamaha TY175 Trials
1974 Suzuki RL 250 Trials
TE 450 Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 03:51 PM   #98
dvs
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by TE 450 Pilot View Post
Be sure to thank the Guys and Gal who put a lot of hours into setting this up.

Randy
Oh that's a given. People don't see the work that goes into things to make it run smooth.

If not said, the thanks is already there at least from me!

Thanks for the information by the way.

dvs screwed with this post 09-05-2013 at 04:07 PM
dvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 04:22 AM   #99
bungie4
Frostback

We had a great time, I'll be back next for year for sure. The Dual Sport ride was well chosen. We ended up doing two of the technical sections on the Sat AM loop. Except for that last water hole on the pole line just before lunch, it was a blast.

Met lots of great people and the food was terrific. Pics 'n stuff to follow, though, I didn't take to many.

Old 09-09-2013, 06:06 AM   #100
shaweetz
Gnarly Adventurer

I had a great time, and big thanks to TDY, horseyheather and all the other folks whose hard work brings this all together. I usually travel at this time of year but lucky for me, things lined up.

I showed up Friday night on my Tiger 800XC feeling a bit out of place, no huge truck, no 200ft toy hauler with recliners in the back, with the hugest bike on the streetiest tires. What have I signed up for?

And why did I pitch my tent beside that guy who runs his generator at 1am?

I didn't feel that way for long though, after meeting some of the other DS crew the next morning. Still, the biggest thing going was a DR650 and a few KLRs, all with much knarlier tires than me. It could be interesting.

I have nothing to prove, so I opted to stick with the all 'scenic' route and not do any of the 'tech' options. I will say that from a naming point of view, the name 'scenic' evokes a leisurely stroll through the concession roads, which some of it is, but some is not, and so the name scenic sort of implies that you are wussing out by not doing the tech options. I was on my toes and had a blast for the whole thing, and TDY put together a great mix of challenges that had our group pretty much burnt out by day's end. So it was technical enough for me.

Our group distilled down to four, and our ostensible ride lead Tim had left his GPS back at his posh motel, so in typical fashion I ended up leading our group into the unknown.

My new-to-me gopro conked out almost immediately

Lunch at the K&P trailside was a hoot. Besides the incredible butter tarts, my favourite part was the go-hut loaded on the flatbed and transported to lunch for our enjoyment. So to dump you climb up on the flatbed and do your business like the king of the world. Amazing.

The gopro lasted long enough in the afternoon to get some shots of some fun, easy access road stuff:

I got wanged in the face with a few low branches, I really need to close up that visor more often. Being 6'3" and standing on the pegs can make for some interesting moments.

Lack of coffee and the poor judgement of ingesting too many sugary treats at lunch, and the energy started to bottom out. I had been hot to do Tech Option 1 in the afternoon, but by the time we got to the split, I had to be honest and declare that I was too tired to attempt it. Thankfully the decision was unanimous, which was good because the New Road to 511 was a challenge enough.

Sunday AM, the so-called 'scenic' group grew and split into two, so I set out with Ewan and Jason:

We had a hoot. Ewan took the lead, which despite the dust I really enjoyed since you learn a lot from watching other people's lines and technique and Ewan is a great rider.

Five minutes before lunch, things went pear-shaped:

I won't detail what happened here, since I did it in Face Plant http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=918289, but in a nutshell I went wide into the marbles, couldn't recover, and literally ended up in the weeds before jumping a ditch and then highsiding. Amazingly all I got for that was a bruised knee, some damaged parts I had been thinking of replacing anyway, and wounded pride that I didn't have much of to start with. So, lucky this time.

I took the short route back in the afternoon in case my knee decided to get worse, which it didn't, and all is well. Thankfully the crash hasn't clouded my enjoyment of the whole weekend, and I had an awesome and memorable time. Thanks everyone!
Old 09-09-2013, 06:27 AM   #101
bungie4
Frostback

Thankfully the decision was unanimous, which was good because the New Road to 511 was a challenge enough.

[/QUOTE]

I can't believe that is a 'named' road! Some of the uphill/downhill corners had been washed pretty hard by run off. So much so that I got my little CRFL pretty sideways once on it. The amazing bit was we ran into a couple in Chrysler mini-van who were in near full panic mode trying to find if the road met another road up ahead. They couldn't back up and they couldn't turn around. I think we were just ahead of your group so you probably met them as well.

Glad your off wasn't serious. I dumped my bike pretty hard on one of the tech sections crossing an 'elevated' culvert surrounded by mud. No damage though.

Hope to see you back again next year. (My CRFL is the 2nd from the front in your parking lot pic).

Old 09-09-2013, 02:55 PM   #102
yamafitter
Old Cranky Guy

Oddometer: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by bungie4 View Post
We had a great time, I'll be back next for year for sure. The Dual Sport ride was well chosen. We ended up doing two of the technical sections on the Sat AM loop. Except for that last water hole on the pole line just before lunch, it was a blast.

Met lots of great people and the food was terrific. Pics 'n stuff to follow, though, I didn't take to many.
After one day of Calabogie this was all we could find of Steve the next morning. I think that croc in the "puddle" got him ....

Actually Steve had to get back to Sudbury so he headed out Sunday morning which left Tom on his own. I had used up my countershaft sprocket on Saturday and didn't have a replacement with me and couldn't find anyone with one that I could buy so I had to sit Sunday out. Can you guess which one is the replacement sprocket I bought on Monday? ....

yamafitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 05:38 PM   #103
TE 450 Pilot
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by yamafitter View Post
After one day of Calabogie this was all we could find of Steve the next morning. I think that croc in the "puddle" got him ....

Actually Steve had to get back to Sudbury so he headed out Sunday morning which left Tom on his own. I had used up my countershaft sprocket on Saturday and didn't have a replacement with me and couldn't find anyone with one that I could buy so I had to sit Sunday out. Can you guess which one is the replacement sprocket I bought on Monday? ....

BILL !! with all your generations of experience I cant believe you hit the trail with that sprocket. Shame on you

We could not make it this year but we will see you in 2014.I look forward to seeing some more of your video clips of the years adventures.

Randy & Connie
1976 Yamaha TY175 Trials
1974 Suzuki RL 250 Trials
TE 450 Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 06:30 PM   #104
yamafitter
Old Cranky Guy

Oddometer: 226
Big Blue tackles the Boogie

Being retired has it's advantages. One of those is being able to pack up and head out before the cottage traffic starts flowing out of Toronto. After the mandatory Timmy's coffee I hit the road just before 10AM and hit the East bound 401 to Belleville and then turned north up through Tweed and then on to Perth.

On the outshirts of Perth is Woody's Cycle and I was running very early and had some time to kill so I took a little detour and stopped by the shop. Woody has a small museum set up on the property of some of the more interesting bikes he has collected over the years....

Woody is old enough to have bought this new....

but now he was packing up his vintage road racer and heading off to Montreal for the weekend. Here is another vintage road racer he had on display....

I had one of these CanAm Qualifiers back in the day and had a partial enduro sponsorship for a few years....

One of the more important bikes in the collection was this 175cc Penton Jackpiner that Jack Penton used to win the Corduroy Enduro in 1973...

After talking with Woody in the shop and checking out some of the other salvaged bike parts and other stuff it was time to stop at the Perth Timmy's but I noticed a microbrewery across the street so I went there instead. We sampled some of their IPA which was quite nice so I picked up some for the weekend and headed up the 511 to Calabogie.

It was quite early still and the registration staff were not setup yet so I wandered around the grounds near the clubhouse and smelled the flowers....

The sound check crew were ready earlier than originally announced so I was first in line and got that task out of the way. Big Blue blew 90dBA, well under the allowed 94 dB limit. There was a French-Canadian contingent from La Belle Province (Quebec) that were changing tires and were trying out the new hot setup............... trials tire on the back...

The French speaking KTM also was pretty quiet....

In the meantime one of the riders' dog decided to cool down after the long ride up to the Boogie....

The other registration people were still not completely set up yet so there was time to go to the bar and jump on the internet to see how Bungie was making out on his trip over from Sudbury.....

Later in the evening Bungie had still not arrived. Those of us that know Bungie knows that he is capable of getting lost in his own bathtub so it was time to have a closer look at the SPOT Tracker....

Bungie, please explain why you are heading west on Hwy 60 towards Huntsville??

and why are you now heading south on 41 towards Napanee?? That lad has absolutely no sense of up nevermind north, south, east and west.

Next Installment - The ride on Saturday as seen from the saddle.
yamafitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 07:40 PM   #105
bungie4
Frostback

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamafitter View Post

That poor Yamaha sounded like it had a machine gun mounted to it when we were on 508 heading back to Calabogie. That sprocket did the best it could!

I will admit being a little worried about crossing Lake Ontario after seeing the guys giving that KTM CPR.