Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-04-2013, 07:13 AM   #226
mamm
< advertise here! >

Oddometer: 200
Keep the engine in the power band, did anyone mention that already? It's a win-win situation: more engine braking and more "instant leap" power to evade dangerous situations. Don't lug that sucker while lane splitting. In fact, never lug the engine, period.

----------
I can't imagine riding and NOT lane splitting when traffic is congested. I was rear-ended twice in stop-and-go traffic - in my car, thankfully. There's no way I'll put myself in that situation while on a bike. Might as well paint a target on my back.

Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think.
mamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 12:17 PM   #227
DudeClone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,415
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
You're not what?! What does jelly have to do with riding a motorcycle?

M
oh. ha. its just how i hear words in my head sometimes

jealous

no peanut butter required
Old 09-05-2013, 03:22 PM   #228
tallpaul63
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 411
This morning

I was lane splitting this morning, or lane sharing (whatever you choose to call it) on a busy, slow and go highway loaded with commute traffic. I am a bit conflicted about riding this way, because of the fact that I'm so vulnerable if a cager makes a mistake...but I do it when traffic gets really slow. I'm also concerned that I'm pissing drivers off, but I figure that's their issue. It's legal here in Ca.

So I was passing a pickup truck which was in the fast lane, and I saw the car in front of him slow to a stop in traffic. It occurred to me that the pickup was going a bit too fast as I viewed him in my mirror, and then he locked up the brakes and slammed into the stopped car. I was clear, and managed to squirt into the next lane and came away unscathed, but it was sobering. It occurs to me now that I would have been struck pretty hard if I had been in that lane, and stopped. The impact was not enough to cause me great concern in the cager world, but the bike is a different story.

I was mostly an observer in this one. I don't think that I was a factor in the accident (unless someone was distracted watching me) and I don't think I could have done anything differently. Still, a wake up call!
tallpaul63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 03:51 PM   #229
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Oddometer: 7,314
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallpaul63 View Post
I was lane splitting this morning, or lane sharing (whatever you choose to call it) on a busy, slow and go highway loaded with commute traffic. I am a bit conflicted about riding this way, because of the fact that I'm so vulnerable if a cager makes a mistake...but I do it when traffic gets really slow. I'm also concerned that I'm pissing drivers off, but I figure that's their issue. It's legal here in Ca.

So I was passing a pickup truck which was in the fast lane, and I saw the car in front of him slow to a stop in traffic. It occurred to me that the pickup was going a bit too fast as I viewed him in my mirror, and then he locked up the brakes and slammed into the stopped car. I was clear, and managed to squirt into the next lane and came away unscathed, but it was sobering. It occurs to me now that I would have been struck pretty hard if I had been in that lane, and stopped. The impact was not enough to cause me great concern in the cager world, but the bike is a different story.

I was mostly an observer in this one. I don't think that I was a factor in the accident (unless someone was distracted watching me) and I don't think I could have done anything differently. Still, a wake up call!
I've had that happen once to me too. I know for a fact the driver was looking at my bike instead of traffic as he and the passenger were pointing at my bike. For the record, I was on my beautifully restored Ducati at the time, not the GSA.
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
YetiGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 03:54 PM   #230
DudeClone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,415
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallpaul63 View Post

sounds to me like it was a good thing YOU were on a motorcycle

remember you are small. you can slip away, squirt a gap, come inches from a vehicle and slide right by and its all good

yes, and it is lane splitting, not lane sharing. lane sharing is dangerous and i believe illegal. its when you ride alongside another vehicle in the SAME lane and make no attempt to pass. its two "vehicles" sharing the same space in the same lane. that is lane sharing and is largely discouraged for obvious reasons
Old 09-05-2013, 04:37 PM   #231
khager
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 768
Quote:
Originally Posted by YetiGS View Post
I've had that happen once to me too. I know for a fact the driver was looking at my bike instead of traffic as he and the passenger were pointing at my bike. For the record, I was on my beautifully restored Ducati at the time, not the GSA.

Nothing turns heads like a nice looking Duc!
khager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 08:19 PM   #232
henshao
Bained

Oddometer: 464
Shiny bikes take lives
henshao is offline   Reply With Quote