Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Tejas and the Gulf States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-04-2013, 08:28 PM   #7336
Earlevet
ADVEarl

Oddometer: 530
Great report from both of you fellas! Looks like some fun stuff. Tim, that clutch is pretty cool. I have never seen someone let out on the clutch sit still for a second then take off. Notice this right before the splash!!! Looking forward to WS next weekend.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bohawk View Post
Great videos, Tim. They pretty well captured the highlights of the ride, especially the Totally Entwined and Cedar Slick Creek vids.
Earlevet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 09:19 PM   #7337
Dragon43
If you insist.

Oddometer: 5,858
Got to ask, what is in Bo's left hand while he is eating the pizza? Looks like a camera with an antenna & a red worm.

New kind of pizza tool or a really small fishin pole?
Old 09-04-2013, 09:52 PM   #7338
bohawk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 284
Well, you got the camera part right, Gus. The antenna and red worm is the rather large red strap on my Olympus TG-1 camera.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon43 View Post
Got to ask, what is in Bo's left hand while he is eating the pizza? Looks like a camera with an antenna & a red worm.

New kind of pizza tool or a really small fishin pole?
bohawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 09:03 AM   #7339
Dragon43
If you insist.

Oddometer: 5,858
Thanks.

Perspective, it is all in the perspective.............
Old 09-05-2013, 10:36 AM   #7340
OLEARY
Enlightened Voyager

Oddometer: 2,350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earlevet View Post
Great report from both of you fellas! Looks like some fun stuff. Tim, that clutch is pretty cool. I have never seen someone let out on the clutch sit still for a second then take off. Notice this right before the splash!!! Looking forward to WS next weekend.
Very perceptive of you Earl! I credit the clutch with my uneventful passage the first time thru but in part I blame it on my taking a dip. As you probably noticed I kind of lurched off into the creek the second time thru. There were two recommended settings on the clutch install and one was for hard engagement and the other for soft engagement depending on the number of ball bearings you put in the pressure plate carriage. I elected to go for the hard engagement setting. Thats my story anyway and I am sticking to it.

I am looking forward to WS as well. Should be a pretty good number of folks if everyone shows that has indicated as such. I think I have a pretty good route. Part of it goes right by the area where you ran into the cable on Walker Mountain. See you there.
Colorado/Moab 2012
Occasionally the tree of Liberty must be watered with the blood of Patriots and Tyrants.
OLEARY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 05:46 PM   #7341
Earlevet
ADVEarl

Oddometer: 530
It looked like the first pass you could see the clutch lever better than in the second pass (splash). On the second run it did seem to jump out on ya The first pass was very smooth. I guess it is the learning curve.
Can someone bring a pair of long handled cable cutters? haha
Quote:
Originally Posted by OLEARY View Post
Very perceptive of you Earl! I credit the clutch with my uneventful passage the first time thru but in part I blame it on my taking a dip. As you probably noticed I kind of lurched off into the creek the second time thru. There were two recommended settings on the clutch install and one was for hard engagement and the other for soft engagement depending on the number of ball bearings you put in the pressure plate carriage. I elected to go for the hard engagement setting. Thats my story anyway and I am sticking to it.

I am looking forward to WS as well. Should be a pretty good number of folks if everyone shows that has indicated as such. I think I have a pretty good route. Part of it goes right by the area where you ran into the cable on Walker Mountain. See you there.
Earlevet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 08:13 PM   #7342
BadBrett
Ridge Runner

Oddometer: 15
great video/pics

You just never know about those slim covered creek rocks. At least you weren't laying in the creek like me along side an elephant. Thanks Bo :)
It appears that you guys had another good ride.
BadBrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 10:06 AM   #7343
OLEARY
Enlightened Voyager

Withrow Springs Preride

If anyone is interested in preriding the Withrow Springs route with me tomorrow PM me with your email address and I will send you the route.
Colorado/Moab 2012
Occasionally the tree of Liberty must be watered with the blood of Patriots and Tyrants.
Old 09-07-2013, 02:28 PM   #7344
Valentino Magoo
Like a speeding slug

Oddometer: 2,721
A "mixed breed" (dual sports and barcaloungers) ride to avoid the dust today. Might be my last with Albie in AR.

JaiDee and Arkwhizzy provided entertainment while Albie ate his giant "Big Buddy Bacon" Ozone burger.
Valentino Magoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 02:41 PM   #7345
Thumpstart92
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 245
Today was Trevor's Support Ride where we put him in a friends sidecar and rode out to Pinnacle Mtn with a convoy of 60-75 riders ranging from sport bikes, cruisers and ADVers.

A few of us met him at his apartment to get him loaded up. That's Trevor with his mom Pam and his grandfather
His Chariot awaits him

He's ready to Rock n' Roll

Throwing up the Peace sign. He said he never did the ADV salute. The peace sign was more of his style

The riders in front of us

And behind us

After we met up at Pinnacle we had 2 news stations and the Newspaper Interview Trevor, Dogjaw and Pam. Very emotional Pam said she hadn't seen Trevor smile like that in a long time.

His future is so bright he has to wear shades. And it really is. Getting better every day.

A big shout out to the A State boys for really showing their support and ADVers we had some people come from a few hours away to show support. Its truly people like this that make this world a better place.

A place to donate if you feel the desire.

https://www.everribbon.com/ribbon/view/8352
Old 09-07-2013, 02:55 PM   #7346
Valentino Magoo
Like a speeding slug

Oddometer: 2,721
Great report, Thumpstart, somehow I missed the ride announcement. Awesome show of support. Rock on, Trevor!
Valentino Magoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 10:13 PM   #7347
njoytheride
NJOYN' THE JOURNEY

Oddometer: 847
Thumb

Awesome ride report Tim and Bo. That is a great area to ride in. Oh, watch out for the water crossings, they seem to be slicker over there for some reason.
Way to go on the Vstrom Albie. Still waiting to get my Husky back. Maybe Scribe can pick me an engine somewhere. BTW, how was the Colorado Ride Scibe?
The Ride for Trevor was great. A lot of support. The bad news was I found a big gash in my front tire. It was a long ride back to Ozark from Little Rock. Kind of like Adventure riding only different.
njoytheride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 10:13 AM   #7348
Scribe
£Bob£

Oddometer: 6,681
You guys are awesome. Glad to see Trevor doing so well.
Old 09-08-2013, 02:21 PM   #7349
OLEARY
Enlightened Voyager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumpstart92 View Post

Wow! Looks like quite a gathering. You and Dogjaw deserve a lot of credit for funds that you have helped raise for Trevor and for making Trevors story known to a lot of people. I am glad to see Trevor doing so well and BTW, I agree with him as far as the Peace Sign vs. the ADV Salute. Salute!!!!
Colorado/Moab 2012
Old 09-10-2013, 03:56 PM   #7350
ericdb7g
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 301
Well Scribe and I rode part of the Blue Loop today. I didn't get any pictures, but Bob has at least one pic of me next to my bike laying on its side :)

We met up a little after 10:00 AM, and started going counterclockwise along the trail. All was good. I surprisingly made it up a few hills that I thought were a little on the steep side. About 7-8 miles in we came to a NASTY hill climb with loose rocks that were huge all over the place. I hit a soft spot and the bike immediately laid over.

Bob helped me get the bike back rubber side down, and I decided to give it another go. Thankfully I made it right up the second time. There should be a video of it sometime soon :)

Around mile marker 9 we came across some folks that were broke down. A husband and wife from Texas on their honeymoon. Being short on time, we bailed out onto Fly Gap Rd and looped it back around to the trail-head with the two broke down folks following us on the one functional ATV (since they appeared to be lost).

I'll never forget Bob asking them if they had a map, and of course they said "no." How in the world can you trail ride out in the boonies without any sort of map or navigation? Anyways, after getting them back to the trailhead we called it a day. Hopefully we can get back out there soon and ride the last section of it!

Here's the track I recorded from my phone:
\\

And, here's our stats: (to include the fly gap section)

I'm tellin y'all, that KLR is going to do the entire course just wait
ericdb7g is offline   Reply With Quote