Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Tejas and the Gulf States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-15-2013, 08:10 PM   #31
mdawg12
Old and Slow

Oddometer: 1,505
Well, Well. Just saw this too. I grew up in Langley which is on the way to Albert Pike from Lake Greason. We were some of the first ones riding around the lake in the early 70's. Used to have to hide from the Corp Rangers until the mid 70's when the new Corp of Engineer manager moved in. He was an avid dirt biker and had the Corp work crew develop the trails from the dam to Daisy State park. They maintained them through the 80's.

I quit riding them around '87. Not sure when they quit maintaining them but we went back in '08 and tried riding the section from Bear Creek south toward the dam. The trail was grown up and close to Laural Creek lots of trees were down and couldn't go on. Asked around after and found out a tornado had went through that area. The trail from Daisy to Kirby Landing is in pretty good shape and rode a lot. From Kirby Landing to Bear Creek it is still there but it is not in as good shape. One of my friends from High School Owns the dock at Kirby Landing and has a motel there at the dock that is pretty nice. It is right by the trail and you can take off from there without getting on the highway.

There are a lot of people riding ATV's around Albert Pike and the Ouachita National Forest. Most of the old trails we used to ride are closed off, but I found some that were still open last time I rode up there. A lot of the old trails and roads on Weyerhaeuser property are gated but most of the time in the summer they are open. Although I know a lot of ways in and out along the Little Missouri.

I need to get down there and do some more searching and see what is open. It was some of the best riding anywhere at one time. Great place to grow up when you owned a 72 Ossa Pioneer.
mdawg12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 07:48 AM   #32
MartiniUp
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,572
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdawg12 View Post
Well, Well. Just saw this too. I grew up in Langley which is on the way to Albert Pike from Lake Greason. We were some of the first ones riding around the lake in the early 70's. Used to have to hide from the Corp Rangers until the mid 70's when the new Corp of Engineer manager moved in. He was an avid dirt biker and had the Corp work crew develop the trails from the dam to Daisy State park. They maintained them through the 80's.

I quit riding them around '87. Not sure when they quit maintaining them but we went back in '08 and tried riding the section from Bear Creek south toward the dam. The trail was grown up and close to Laural Creek lots of trees were down and couldn't go on. Asked around after and found out a tornado had went through that area. The trail from Daisy to Kirby Landing is in pretty good shape and rode a lot. From Kirby Landing to Bear Creek it is still there but it is not in as good shape. One of my friends from High School Owns the dock at Kirby Landing and has a motel there at the dock that is pretty nice. It is right by the trail and you can take off from there without getting on the highway.

There are a lot of people riding ATV's around Albert Pike and the Ouachita National Forest. Most of the old trails we used to ride are closed off, but I found some that were still open last time I rode up there. A lot of the old trails and roads on Weyerhaeuser property are gated but most of the time in the summer they are open. Although I know a lot of ways in and out along the Little Missouri.

I need to get down there and do some more searching and see what is open. It was some of the best riding anywhere at one time. Great place to grow up when you owned a 72 Ossa Pioneer.
Holler when you get ready to do some exploring. I have a plated XR4 for that type stuff. I just need a little notice.
MartiniUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 09:40 PM   #33
Pez OP
b00b

Oddometer: 560
Ditto ^^

Maybe we need to set up a Texarkana Area Ride?

A message for all of Humanity
Pez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 08:21 AM   #34
XATLASX
Doomsday Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
I'm in...

Always take the road less traveled, unless the riding is better on the other roads.
XATLASX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 09:36 AM   #35
MartiniUp
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,572
I'm in! Someone turn on the ac.
MartiniUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 11:51 AM   #36
BigShooter
Head Flunky

Oddometer: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pez View Post
Ditto ^^

Maybe we need to set up a Texarkana Area Ride?
What ya got in mind?
BigShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 12:52 PM   #37
XATLASX
Doomsday Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Ride on!

Bump...The weather is getting nice...Lets ride!

Always take the road less traveled, unless the riding is better on the other roads.
XATLASX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 01:02 PM   #38
NateLePain
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,603
Stayed in Texarkana, last Sunday night. Dropped the family in Tyler TX, yesterday and rode home, via Mena.

nlp

10 Triumph St. Triple, '06 BMW F650GSA, '03 Honda XR70R, '03 Honda XR80R, '86 Honda TLR200 Reflex
NateLePain is offline   Reply With Quote