ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-04-2013, 09:07 PM   #14221
russbryant OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,038
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierTrailmaster View Post
I am in John...
Me too!
russbryant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 10:27 PM   #14222
Friedom
Opposable Thumbs Up!

Oddometer: 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLOKLR View Post
I can ride most weekends,unless the boss sends me out of town.
I enjoy riding trails, but it is a KLR.
If I had my choice of rides I'd head to the mountains and make it a 2 day ride.
That sounds great, but my current schedule doesn't have room for being gone more than a day.

"...Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune, or to take arms against a sea of troubles, and by opposing - end them." W. S.

I salute you! Builders, makers, fixers, breakers - skeptics, believers, dreamers, achievers - for you turn the very wheels of progress!
Friedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 10:03 AM   #14223
jsonder
Tired Old Fart

Oddometer: 514
Quote:
Originally Posted by seabee1 View Post
Just lay on the couch and watch Netflix for two or three days rotating bags of frozen peas on the affected area and you'll be fine. Even though you feel ok, don't go out and mow the lawn! DAMHIK
Good advice.
jsonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 05:21 PM   #14224
SOLOKLR
almost retired

Oddometer: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Friedom View Post
That sounds great, but my current schedule doesn't have room for being gone more than a day.

"...Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune, or to take arms against a sea of troubles, and by opposing - end them." W. S.

I salute you! Builders, makers, fixers, breakers - skeptics, believers, dreamers, achievers - for you turn the very wheels of progress!

2 day ride would be great. I like to camp so if I can ride and camp its a bonus for me. Day rides work just fine. I'm not as young as I used to be.
Steverauklr@gmail.com
SOLOKLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 06:11 PM   #14225
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,182
motorcycle rentals

My mom and step-father are driving down to Tucson from Colorado in a few weeks. I was thinking of renting a motorcycle for my step-father (very experienced rider) so we could spend part of a day riding somewhere. Is there any place in town to rent a street bike (non-harley) besides Iron Horse? A am not opposed to renting from Iron Horse just wondering about any other options.
TIA
swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 06:07 AM   #14226
HoosierTrailmaster
Just an Old Grizzly

Oddometer: 2,385
Russ...your bike is way cool...good to see you last night. Of course the big surprise of the evening was DUSTYMARCOS showing up.
HoosierTrailmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 06:14 AM   #14227
HoosierTrailmaster
Just an Old Grizzly

Russ, John, (anyone else),

Here is the link to that ride report I was telling you about. Great writing and photos.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...=Rubicon+Trail
Old 09-06-2013, 11:54 AM   #14228
PhiSig1071
What's ******width?

Oddometer: 2,071
This may be a little premature but what do most of you use for winter riding gear? This will be my first winter with the DRZ and I am looking forward to some rides where I'm not sweating gallons, but I don't want to freeze. I wear a Koerta for protection, and I was thinking about something like the ARC Back Country/ MSR Trans/Fly Patrol jacket, and maybe adding some kind of fleece pullover under it (over the Koerta) if it gets really cold. It's either that or some kind of 3/4 length jacket, like a Kilimanjaro or similar.

As for pants, I am debating over the Bilt Explorer Air pants (Which are mesh, but have a waterproof liner, and a quilted liner) or an overpant of some kind, like the ARC Back Country pants (I wear Tech 3's and knee guards, so armor in the pants is not important).

The Bilt is a nice all-season pant, if they hold up and the quality is even halfway decent. I have a friend who commutes daily on a KLR (from Continental Ranch to Three Points, he's a fireman) and he has the Bilt Explorer Air jacket, and he loves it.

The ARC Back Country pant is slightly less expensive, but it's a waterproof pant with relatively limited venting. I would need to buy dedicated summer mesh pants in addition to these in order to get the versatility of the Explorer Air.

So, what do you have for winter kit?

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem
PhiSig1071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 12:09 PM   #14229
HoosierTrailmaster
Just an Old Grizzly

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiSig1071 View Post
This may be a little premature but what do most of you use for winter riding gear? This will be my first winter with the DRZ and I am looking forward to some rides where I'm not sweating gallons, but I don't want to freeze. I wear a Koerta for protection, and I was thinking about something like the ARC Back Country/ MSR Trans/Fly Patrol jacket, and maybe adding some kind of fleece pullover under it (over the Koerta) if it gets really cold. It's either that or some kind of 3/4 length jacket, like a Kilimanjaro or similar.

As for pants, I am debating over the Bilt Explorer Air pants (Which are mesh, but have a waterproof liner, and a quilted liner) or an overpant of some kind, like the ARC Back Country pants (I wear Tech 3's and knee guards, so armor in the pants is not important).

The Bilt is a nice all-season pant, if they hold up and the quality is even halfway decent. I have a friend who commutes daily on a KLR (from Continental Ranch to Three Points, he's a fireman) and he has the Bilt Explorer Air jacket, and he loves it.

The ARC Back Country pant is slightly less expensive, but it's a waterproof pant with relatively limited venting. I would need to buy dedicated summer mesh pants in addition to these in order to get the versatility of the Explorer Air.

So, what do you have for winter kit?
What size do you wear...I have all kinds of winter riding jackets...actually 3 season with zip liners and such.
Old 09-06-2013, 10:42 PM   #14230
PhiSig1071
What's ******width?

Quote:
What size do you wear...I have all kinds of winter riding jackets...actually 3 season with zip liners and such.
Sorry it took me so long to respond, I work midnights and I went to sleep right after I posted that.

I'm 6'4", 235, 48" chest, 38" waist. I usually wear an XL/XLT/XXL depending on fit and sleeve length. My koerta is an XXL, and the jersey I wear over it for hot weather riding is also an XXL.

Old 09-07-2013, 09:39 AM   #14231
operaflute
Starving Artist

Oddometer: 130
Quote:
This may be a little premature but what do most of you use for winter riding gear?
I live and die by my Widder electric vest. In fact, it's the first piece of winter gear I add when it starts cooling down, and the last I give up in the spring. I do this because, between the on/off switch on the e-vest and zipper vents on my jacket, I can be comfortable in a wide range of temps without even taking my hand off the throttle. No stopping and adding/removing liners or jackets, just flip the switch and/or zip (unzip) a vent while in motion. LOVE IT.
Old 09-07-2013, 10:05 AM   #14232
SpeedySteve
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 148
Bitchin' all-season jacket - BMW Tourshell brand new for sale

Heya Mate -

I just posted a jacket for sale. BMW makes top notch gear. They are known for their NP (orange in color) armor. Similar to D30 and other armor with non-Newtonian properties. The armor is very extensive in BMW gear, which is why I have a whole gammat of BMW gear. Armor is my #1 reason for buying gear - haha I've been down too many times to wear small floppy armor.

Anyways, This would make for an excellent jacket in the winter using the soft liner. I'd keep up, but I just have too many other jackets.

Check it out! Come on over and try it on!

Cheers,

Steedy

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=917842
Old 09-07-2013, 10:24 AM   #14233
PhiSig1071
What's ******width?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedySteve View Post
Heya Mate -

I just posted a jacket for sale. BMW makes top notch gear. They are known for their NP (orange in color) armor. Similar to D30 and other armor with non-Newtonian properties. The armor is very extensive in BMW gear, which is why I have a whole gammat of BMW gear. Armor is my #1 reason for buying gear - haha I've been down too many times to wear small floppy armor.

Anyways, This would make for an excellent jacket in the winter using the soft liner. I'd keep up, but I just have too many other jackets.

Check it out! Come on over and try it on!

Cheers,

Steedy

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=917842
Looks like a nice jacket, and good luck on the sale, but there is no way that will fit me. Based on the size chart in your link I would need something along the lines of a Euro 66-64. (Strangely when they go to the long sizes the chest measurements get smaller, so they don't make anything in a long for a 48" chest).

Old 09-07-2013, 11:01 AM   #14234
russbryant OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,038
Quote:
Russ...your bike is way cool...good to see you last night. Of course the big surprise of the evening was DUSTYMARCOS showing up.
Thanks HTM, great to see you, John , and Skip too and glad the leg is all healed up. I started gettin' bike envy after looking Dusty's KTM 690 over!!

See ya next time.

Russ
1989 BMW R100 GS
russbryant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 12:36 PM   #14235
Drizzt
Ranger

Oddometer: 1,032
I've commuted on the drz all the way through winter, in January my rides started before the sun rose, so about as cold as it gets in AZ.

Being a poor HS student, I found that layers are they key. I found one of the most important layers is a long sleeve Under Armour shirt (the tight kind). Then various layers of light cold weather gear depending on how cold. Then a riding jacket, then the second most important, the windbreaker. I found without either the windbreaker or Under Armour I was freezing no matter how many other layers I had. The windbreaker keeps the cold out, Under Armour keeps the heat in. Same concept with gloves, I had some of those small cotton gloves, as well as big poofy winter gloves.

That's my experience, maybe an electric vest would be better, so you don't have to have 5 layers of cold weather gear but I found that I was fairly comfy with what I had said above.

And what is good, Phaedrus, and what is not good- Need we ask anyone to tell us these things? Pirsig
Drizzt is offline   Reply With Quote