Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-04-2013, 07:26 PM   #3571
flossandfly
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 330
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExpatADV View Post
I'd be up for that too and I still owe the (Canadian) baconator a beer for finding my wallet on the trail in Waiporous! Is the ride big bike friendly, as in a Super Tenere? Or does one need more single track credentials than that...?

lycan1 says iut is okay for a super tenere... better than guys on dirtbike style dualsports saying it is fine. he has a ktm 990
flossandfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 09:18 PM   #3572
slabm7
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 306
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycan1 View Post
Super Ten should be fine, as long as you are confident on it. You did Margaret Lake so this should be a cake walk.Dutch Creek road and Allison creek road have a couple of wash outs that have go arounds (from what I hear). As long as we have a few riders we can help the big bikes through any tough spots. Most of the route is easy cruising though.
We rode the Dutch Creek road and Allison creek road last Friday and had no problems, no washouts of any concern, even for bigger bikes. We did it on 650 thumpers (KTM 640 Adv, XR650R, 2-DR650s, KLR) but no reason a 990 Adv and Super Tenere couldn't get through it easily.

Nobody EVER lies on their death bed and says "I should have worked more".
slabm7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 09:39 PM   #3573
slabm7
Gnarly Adventurer

This is a picture of the first washout you encounter headed south on the 940, about 20kms south of Highwood jct. There is about a 5ft ledge in the front of the washout, you can drop down on the left hand side and it's an easy rocky ride across from there.

This is a picture of the same washout looking north from the south end of it, it's probably 3/4 of a mile long.

Old 09-04-2013, 09:55 PM   #3574
slabm7
Gnarly Adventurer

Here are a few other random pics from the weekend we spent in Elkford, camped in Elkford and did day trips south of Sparwood and north of Elkford.

From a lookout just north of Elkford

From what we thought was the North Fork Pass, after looking at google maps turns out we were on the wrong trail, but turned out to be an excellent ride. This was a rather technical climb with loaded bikes, steep and loose rock. Alot steeper than the pic makes it look.

Cracked the magneto cover on one of the DR650s, around a corner to fast and down on it's side, duct taped it and limped it back to camp where some jb weld got it practically brand new and got it home.

Good as new!!

On the Flathead FSR, about 15kms north of the states border, got turned around here by running out of daylight. Really wanted to see where this road went.

Old 09-04-2013, 10:21 PM   #3575
RED CAT
Bumpy Backroader

Oddometer: 2,883
Good On You!

Guess we'll try the 940 although its officially closed from Highwood Junction. Is there only the one washout on the 940 south to Dutch Creek? And is there just that one usual washout on Dutch Creek to Coleman? I know the 532 is not passable except on a Trials bike.
RED CAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 10:30 PM   #3576
slabm7
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED CAT View Post
Guess we'll try the 940 although its officially closed from Highwood Junction. Is there only the one washout on the 940 south to Dutch Creek? And is there just that one usual washout on Dutch Creek to Coleman? I know the 532 is not passable except on a Trials bike.
It is "closed", I don't ride around closed gates if they are there for environmental or wildlife reasons, but if it's closed just because it is "impassable", then I will try. We stopped and talked to the road repair crew and they were more than happy to let us through, could of cared less if we were there. There are about 5 washouts in total, the first was the easiest. It took us about 4 hours to go 20 kms. But most of the time was spent walking the wash outs to make sure we could get the bikes out once we were in and planning a line through. There are quad tracks around all of them except the first one. Probably from field operators having to reach that gas well. That was the only reason we kept going, we figured if quads could do it so could we. So it was just a matter of finding the quad trails and walking them to make sure we could do it. If I was to do it again it wouldn't take near that long. And the only real trouble spot on the Dutch Creek was more of a down into a small creek crossing and back up the other side, wouldn't of even slowed us down except one of us washed out the front tire on the downhill and went down and stripped the oil filter cover, another Macyver fix and we were back on the way.

slabm7 screwed with this post 09-05-2013 at 12:19 PM
Old 09-05-2013, 08:03 AM   #3577
Shibby!
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,656
Looks like you REALLY need a new front tire...

I run dirt bike take-off's on my XRR most of the time, but never do they get that bad =)

Wonder which pass that is. I don't think it's one I've done before, and I've done the furthest north illegal pass.

The lookout is great. Better views then the picture shows and easy ride up. I want to go there in winter with my splitboard and ride down the road...
Dirt Donkeys Do Baja: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=671095

Shibby! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 09:18 AM   #3578
RED CAT
Bumpy Backroader

Oddometer: 2,883
slabm7

Thanks for the info. May be a bit much for my big pig S10 but will check it out next week.
RED CAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 12:17 PM   #3579
slabm7
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shibby! View Post
Looks like you REALLY need a new front tire...

I run dirt bike take-off's on my XRR most of the time, but never do they get that bad =)

Wonder which pass that is. I don't think it's one I've done before, and I've done the furthest north illegal pass.

The lookout is great. Better views then the picture shows and easy ride up. I want to go there in winter with my splitboard and ride down the road...
The front tire isn't as bad as it looks in the pics, it's a D606 with about 2500kms on it. I don't think we were on any pass, looking on google maps it just looks like a quad trail up to a mountain lake.

Old 09-05-2013, 06:33 PM   #3580
MCMXCIVRS
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,218
Got out this afternoon for a bit of a ride. Slabbed it to Stud Creek road out by the Burnt Timber plant, rode through to Mountainaire Lodge, then further west to Ya-Ha-Tinda. First time I've gone all the way up to the ranch in over thirty years. Came back home through Sundre then took a few side roads between there and the city.

2009 BMW F800GS, 2008 BMW K1200GT
MCMXCIVRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 06:45 PM   #3581
Shibby!
Beastly Adventurer

Haha. Just giving you a hard time.

Did you get the bike running well? Check for air leaks? (seal that collar around the bell housing)

Old 09-05-2013, 07:42 PM   #3582
slabm7
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shibby! View Post
Haha. Just giving you a hard time.

Did you get the bike running well? Check for air leaks? (seal that collar around the bell housing)
It's running ok. Haven't checked for air leaks. Haven't had time this week. The bike runs great besides the hanging idle. Very crisp and snappy. Starts well with no choke. I am going to check for leaks and richen it up one more jet on both the pj and mj just to see how it acts. I'm going to play with the float bowl level as well. Fall project to get it dialed in for next year.

Old 09-06-2013, 10:30 AM   #3583
where2next?
Map guy

Oddometer: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by slabm7 View Post
It's running ok. Haven't checked for air leaks. Haven't had time this week. The bike runs great besides the hanging idle. Very crisp and snappy. Starts well with no choke. I am going to check for leaks and richen it up one more jet on both the pj and mj just to see how it acts. I'm going to play with the float bowl level as well. Fall project to get it dialed in for next year.
I've never played with XR Jetting but the hanging idle problem on my WR450 is fixed by adjusting the fuel screw and idle (throttle stop) settings. If I recall, its rich if it hangs. Very touchy on the fancy FCR carb on the WR and it's known to need adjustment with fairly small changes in temperature or elevation. Check out Thumpertalk for the goods on this I suspect.
where2next? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 03:01 PM   #3584
Shibby!
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by slabm7 View Post

Does the a/f scew cause changes in the idle? If not, it's wrong.

Follow the manual and bump to a faster idle, then adjust fuel screw. It should go up and down at both ranges of the adjustment (1-3 turns, don't go past those, if below or above that means you need to change the pilot). If it hangs my guess is you have a leak, which will play havoc with all your settings. Put a bead of silicone or RTV sealant around that adapator. There has been a few that come without proper sealing. Also, confirm you have slack in cables. I have my carb on the lightest pull (I'm pretty sure at least) and no issues with lack of spring tension. That was a huge bonus to this carb as the stocker requires white knuckles to cruise down the highway.

I never touch my pilot, but my idle does change with elevation (air density changes). The pumper is my issue. Sometimes it's awesome, sometimes it lags. It's hard to tune perfect around here with our elevation changes. Worse when you go to Colarado or areas with larger elevation variences. That being said, it's not a KTM 990 and it still starts and runs....

Shibby! screwed with this post 09-06-2013 at 03:07 PM
Old 09-08-2013, 03:18 PM   #3585
Up&Downer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Look good to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianX View Post
Anyone have dealing with Dirtbagz? Looking for some feedback on this business as a friend is looking for hard luggage.
Have taken a look at the bags at Cycle City and the build quality looked good and I don't think you can beat the price around here.
Up&Downer is offline   Reply With Quote