Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-31-2013, 09:05 AM   #16
LewisNClark
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 970
Have a WR250R and an F800Gs

For me its the perfect combo. I do ride the WR daily for short trips less than
100 miles, WR feels Like 1/2 the weight of F800GS.

Atlanta to Seattle last year and I actually prefer the F800 over a former 1200GS.
See a nice dirt off road trail, take it. Would not do that on the 1200, due to weight and expense.

Service on F800GS: I buy oil filters from Autozone for 1/2 what beemer charges. Air Filters I buy on eBay. Only thing I don't want to deal with is valve adjustment and tire changes, I can do pretty much Any thing else..not rocket science. Valve adj and tire change ...take it in and wait for it.

Btw...as said plan on a $2,500 for a real seat, windscreen, rear rack and probably hard bags. I like my Jessie's.

F800GS Adventure...so little difference except weight....if I wanted a bigger bike I'd have stuck with the 1200GS. I do think you will find the F800 HOTTER on the legs than the WR250.

People all over the country buy the F800Gs's and find it too tall, or bike is not for them. I found one 7 days old 256 miles on the odometer (guy found it was too tall for him)....and i saved $2 ,000 off retail.

Like the F800Gs but love the little WR250R.

LewisNClark screwed with this post 08-31-2013 at 06:12 PM
LewisNClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 11:35 AM   #17
wyobohunter OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 417
I want.... No, I need a bigger bike!

I'll probably sell my WRR (jury still out). One less thing to maintain/license/insure. The WRR is fun for exploring but I find it underpowered for my 225 lbs when it comes to any serious obstacle and running 70 mph down the highway. not that I'll be hitting serious obstacles with the F800 (typically I trend toward challenging but not death defying), I should be able to ride it on the highway in hot weather without it running too hot like the WRR does.

If I ever decide I need a for real serious offroad bike I'll look into the Yam WRF (after wife's pulse drops to normal levels, she ain't exactly thrilled about the BMW).

It's just like I keep telling her when it comes to a new gun... "Yes, the last one I bought was the last one... As in the last one I bought", I don't know why that always confuses her ;-)

wyobohunter screwed with this post 08-31-2013 at 11:42 AM
wyobohunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 06:56 PM   #18
wyobohunter OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I pick up my new 2013 F800GS Tuesday, extremely excited!

Got the white one fully loaded with traction control, ESA, ABS (of course), centerstand, computer, heated grips, hand guards, Fastway pegs, SW-Motech engine guards, BMW skid plate, Vario luggage... And the dealer is installing the Continental TKC 80 tires at no charge (they'll keep the ones that came on it). Also had them throw $1,000 on the deal for riding gear. I've been wearing denim up to now and decided I better protect myself.

I put my WRR up for sale if anyone is interested.
Old 09-02-2013, 04:34 AM   #19
trail90man
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
[QUOTE=wyobohunter;22225098]I'll probably sell my WRR (jury still out). I should be able to ride it on the highway in hot weather without it running too hot like the WRR does.

This was a big deal for me also. I have had an F800GS for 3 seasons and 19,000 miles now. Just got back from an 8 day trip across Beartooth pass through the Utah Salt Flats, across Death Valley, up the Pacific coast a ways and back to North Dakota again through Glacier National Park. The highest temp I measured was 106 F. It is a relief to be flying across the desert at 85 MPH and the only thing you are worried about keeping cool is yourself.

Things I wish I had known before I got the bike farkled to the way I like; Windshields are a tough thing to get right on this bike, I deal with a lot of wind and side winds are a neck twister. Madstad makes makes a good windshield system that gives real protection. TKC 80 tires are great on and off road but short lived, Heated vests are a necessary item if you want to go from 90 F to driving through snow on a trip (like Beartooth Pass), A steering damper does wonders for handling on gravel roads, Raise the handlebars until you can comfortably stand and ride ( my secret to 600 plus mile days), One extra tooth on the front sprocket puts the bike in a much happier rpm for super slabs (does affect low gear but the people that take these bikes up rock washes are crazy anyway), and don't take what the yahoos on this forum (including my advice) say to seriously!
trail90man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 07:03 AM   #20
JRose
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 627
I chose the GS over the GSA. I find the bike to be bulky and heavy enough as it is, the extra bulk of the GSA doesn't appeal to me, not for a little added fuel capacity.

That being said, I think it's a minor difference. I would be tickled shitless with either. Especially if I were coming of a WR, riding that kinda mileage.
JRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 12:00 PM   #21
chris73
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 220
[QUOTE=trail90man;22235138]
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyobohunter View Post
I'll probably sell my WRR (jury still out). I should be able to ride it on the highway in hot weather without it running too hot like the WRR does.

This was a big deal for me also. I have had an F800GS for 3 seasons and 19,000 miles now. Just got back from an 8 day trip across Beartooth pass through the Utah Salt Flats, across Death Valley, up the Pacific coast a ways and back to North Dakota again through Glacier National Park. The highest temp I measured was 106 F. It is a relief to be flying across the desert at 85 MPH and the only thing you are worried about keeping cool is yourself.

Things I wish I had known before I got the bike farkled to the way I like; Windshields are a tough thing to get right on this bike, I deal with a lot of wind and side winds are a neck twister. Madstad makes makes a good windshield system that gives real protection. TKC 80 tires are great on and off road but short lived, Heated vests are a necessary item if you want to go from 90 F to driving through snow on a trip (like Beartooth Pass), A steering damper does wonders for handling on gravel roads, Raise the handlebars until you can comfortably stand and ride ( my secret to 600 plus mile days), One extra tooth on the front sprocket puts the bike in a much happier rpm for super slabs (does affect low gear but the people that take these bikes up rock washes are crazy anyway), and don't take what the yahoos on this forum (including my advice) say to seriously!
But riding up rock washes is fun! I ended up leaving the 16 tooth on. I want a 15 tooth for off road and a 17 tooth for vibes. Decided to adjust to both and ride it. I really like the tkc. Not a commuter tire, but if you put 10000 kms or less on the bike a year, it isn't that bad.
chris73 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 06:36 PM   #22
wyobohunter OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks all

Tires - I'll prolly average 1,500 to 3,000 miles/year. At worst l'll have to buy new shoes every year (I hope). Likely 1-2k road and .5-1k dirt.
("k" = thousand miles, not kilometers ;-)

Sprockets - I will do very little super slabbing so I highly doubt I'll be adding a tooth to the front. Even the road miles will be mountain pass type stuff.

Input greatly appreciated. Picking her up tomorrow. Wish I could ride her home but She'll be trailered. I'm in Utah for work and had to take my truck down.
Old 09-04-2013, 03:54 PM   #23
wyobohunter OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Dude... Daddy likes!
Trailered it home last night and rode to work this morning.

wyobohunter screwed with this post 09-04-2013 at 04:05 PM
Old 09-04-2013, 06:52 PM   #24
JRose
Studly Adventurer

True pimps rock white. Good choice.
Old 09-04-2013, 10:48 PM   #25
wyobohunter OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks. Just came in from bolting on the SW-Motech engine guards (or crash bars or whatever they are called), Fastway pegs, BMW aluminum skid plate (not thrilled it has to be removed for oil change... At least it's pretty easy), and BMW hand guards.

My Cont TKC 80's weren't in when I picked it up. Dealer will ship them to me and let me keep the Pirelli Scorpion shoes at no charge which is a sweet deal because they were going to swap to the TKC at no charge.

I didn't intend do do much offroad until I get a good feel for this as it is obviously not the same bike as the WRR. Save street wear on the tires I want when I'm ready for the dirt.
Old 09-05-2013, 03:38 AM   #26
JRose
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
BMW aluminum skid plate (not thrilled it has to be removed for oil change...
When you're not bleeding oil from your filter in the middle of the woods, you'll appreciate the coverage that extra :10 mins worth of work every 6-8000 miles.
Old 09-05-2013, 04:55 AM   #27
wyobohunter OP
Gnarly Adventurer

True. I just thought they could have designed it for access. Now that I think of it. If my tools could reach the plug and especially filter, so could rocks. I was comparing to the Flatland plate on the WRR. Filter is completely different. Flatland plate is also heavier duty and is made to actually support the weight of the bike/rider while the BMW plate appears to be designed mainly for protection from flying objects and doesn't appear it was built for supporting the bike repeatedly and on purpose. I don't think I'll be surmounting any logs with the new bike anyway.

wyobohunter screwed with this post 09-05-2013 at 05:01 AM
Old 09-06-2013, 02:43 PM   #28
Nevada
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 300
Quote:
Dude... Daddy likes!
Trailered it home last night and rode to work this morning.
Congrats!! I hope you enjoy it. I'm curious as to why you didn't consider the Tiger 800XC?
Nevada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 06:20 PM   #29
wyobohunter OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevada View Post
Congrats!! I hope you enjoy it. I'm curious as to why you didn't consider the Tiger 800XC?
I did consider it. The BMW seemed to get a bit of a nod over the Triumph for offroad. Better clearance (though not by much) and the weight is carried a little lower IIRC. Don't remember all of the reasons. They were all minor but enough for me. I would have been happy to take a Tiger though. Definitely more sporty.
Old 09-06-2013, 08:51 PM   #30
ADVCanuck
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRose View Post
True pimps rock white. Good choice.
Werd.

"Wherever you go, there you are" - Jon Kabat-Zinn
ADVCanuck is offline   Reply With Quote