User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-06-2013, 04:07 PM   #76
Johnnydarock
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 242
Mexico Route

Hey DR Rambler: You should be able to get a tire for a Suziki DR65o in just about every big town...including Mazatlan or Puerto Vallarta...and there should be no good reason to ever go to Guadalajara (in my opinion). I would head south along the coast and stay in Sayulita. Going to all those colonial cities is good but if it were me...I would stay along the coast and cut up to Uruapan and see Paricutin (one of the wonders of the world) then stay at Patzcuaro. This is the best colonial city in my opinion with Guanajuato a close second. the others have their charm but if you are pressed for time...you can miss them. Mexico City is very intimidating for most but I love the place...but you can bypass it and head to Taxco via Toluca and never see Mexico City. Then head to the coast and but don't stay in Acapulco. Ride south to Nexpa and then to Zipolito or Puerto Angel. Oaxaca is my favorite big city in Mexico and shouldn't be missed. Then to San Cristobal and Palenque if you have time. That should keep you busy.
Johnnydarock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 05:27 PM   #77
DRRambler OP
AKA Albertastrom

Oddometer: 837
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnydarock View Post
Hey DR Rambler: You should be able to get a tire for a Suziki DR65o in just about every big town...including Mazatlan or Puerto Vallarta...and there should be no good reason to ever go to Guadalajara (in my opinion). I would head south along the coast and stay in Sayulita. Going to all those colonial cities is good but if it were me...I would stay along the coast and cut up to Uruapan and see Paricutin (one of the wonders of the world) then stay at Patzcuaro. This is the best colonial city in my opinion with Guanajuato a close second. the others have their charm but if you are pressed for time...you can miss them. Mexico City is very intimidating for most but I love the place...but you can bypass it and head to Taxco via Toluca and never see Mexico City. Then head to the coast and but don't stay in Acapulco. Ride south to Nexpa and then to Zipolito or Puerto Angel. Oaxaca is my favorite big city in Mexico and shouldn't be missed. Then to San Cristobal and Palenque if you have time. That should keep you busy.
Great input Johnny, what about Durango? Worth riding that road?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2
DRRambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 06:18 PM   #78
BC Brian
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 572
Subscribed and "Liked"

Great RR
BC Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 06:59 PM   #79
Johnnydarock
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 242
Road to Durango

Yes...that road is amazing but I heard they are working on it as we speak so maybe somebody can give you the latest news. I think they are taking all the good curves and scenery out of the "Devil's Backbone". Durango is kind of a cool small city. There's a couple of cool hotels near the city center that have bike parking.

Johnny da Rock
Johnnydarock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 07:28 PM   #80
DRRambler OP
AKA Albertastrom

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC Brian View Post
Subscribed and "Liked"

Great RR
Thanks Brian. I'll be a British Columbian upon my return from Argentina
Old 09-06-2013, 07:29 PM   #81
DRRambler OP
AKA Albertastrom

Pretty sure I'll make my way to Durango, thanks Johnny.
Old 09-06-2013, 07:32 PM   #82
DRRambler OP
AKA Albertastrom

Day 14 Becoming a Caboholic

Day 14 Cabo San Lucas No mileage, no sore butt

There has been a tropical storm warning for southern Baja that I have been watching closely. Since these things are unpredictable and Iím riding a motorbike, I decided to stay at least 1 more night at Los Milagros in Cabo. Itís a nice place actually and would recommend it but too expensive for me on this trip. Despite that Iím staying here.

Today I walked around quite a bit, checking out the marina and some of the tourist zone. I canít count how many $20 dollar massages Iíve been offered. Not to mention Cuban cigars and jewelry for my wife. Note I have not taken any one of them up on their offers.

Itís pretty windy but the rain is light down by the water. It must be raining harder up in the city because the roads down here are full of water flowing into the ocean.
Dark and windy tourista zone

My friend Cindi has been to Cabo a few times so I sent her a message gloating that I was here. She responded by checking with her network of Caboholics to find a cheap place for me if I need it tomorrow. The end result of many messages and a short walk to check a place out is wonderful. A member of the Caboholics Facebook page has offered to cover the cost of a hotel a few blocks from here. So tomorrow regardless of the weather Iím staying another night in Cabo. Generous people are everywhere! Thanks Cindi, John & Maddie.
My new windshield sticker, not so professionally installed.

Tomorrow another day in Cabo
Old 09-06-2013, 07:42 PM   #83
Super Tenere
Voyager

Oddometer: 327
Import sticker

Hey Dave they told us not to put the sticker on the windshield because they steal them, just keep it on you if they ask, just thought you would want to know.

Jeff
Super Tenere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 08:47 PM   #84
pne
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 554
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRRambler View Post
Riverside has been a great help to me. I encourage folks to visit them and BUY A RHINO!
won't catch me in one of those... but one of those ktm exc's or the super tenere on the showroom has got me drooling!

Are you finding you can get by reasonably without speaking much mexican? I'm hitting the books to try to learn spanglish in preparation for a costa rica ride next year.
pne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 09:16 PM   #85
kalahari-k
Kalahari-K

Oddometer: 170
Thumb Bike report

I am following with great interest, concerned about your well-being, appreciative of the great pictures, but most interested in the hard working Suzy.....we need more pictures of her, and a description of how she is performing. . Great report - keep it coming!
kalahari-k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 10:00 PM   #86
DRRambler OP
AKA Albertastrom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Tenere View Post
Hey Dave they told us not to put the sticker on the windshield because they steal them, just keep it on you if they ask, just thought you would want to know.

Jeff
Oh, that's a good point. I hope it will come off without difficulty
Old 09-06-2013, 10:23 PM   #87
DRRambler OP
AKA Albertastrom

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalahari-k View Post
I am following with great interest, concerned about your well-being, appreciative of the great pictures, but most interested in the hard working Suzy.....we need more pictures of her, and a description of how she is performing. . Great report - keep it coming!
Thanks for that, I have been feeling like there hasn't been enough about the machine. I'll get right on it
Old 09-06-2013, 11:50 PM   #88
BC Brian
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 572
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRRambler View Post
Oh, that's a good point. I hope it will come off without difficulty
When I was in Mexico, the customs lady told me to carry it
and just show it when asked. I stuck the decal on my windshield
anyhow, as I felt I didn't want a reason for the policia to stop me
and ask where was my decal.

They do come of easy, but the square, sticky "frame" part is hard to remove.
BC Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 07:03 AM   #89
DRRambler OP
AKA Albertastrom

Quote:
Originally Posted by pne View Post

Are you finding you can get by reasonably without speaking much mexican? I'm hitting the books to try to learn spanglish in preparation for a costa rica ride next year.
I'm getting by fine with my limited Spanish. I took 3 Spanish courses from the Edmonton Hispanic Society before I left. I know how to form a sentence in the present tense and my numbers are good. It's my vocabulary that sucks.
Old 09-07-2013, 07:58 PM   #90
DRRambler OP
AKA Albertastrom

Day 15 Cabo 0.5 km

Day 15 Cabo 0km

I feel guilty.

I am really enjoying my time here and all Iím doing is hanging out.

I took my time getting out of Los Milagros Hotel after getting an omelette at The Crazy Lobster, a close by restaurant. At exactly 11:00am I jumped on my bike for the 2 minute ride to the Siesta Suites. Juan, the manager had received the message about my arrival and set me up in a room. After unloading Skelly I walked her up three steps into the courtyard and parked her in a nice safe spot.

I asked the housekeeper if she could wash some clothes for me and she obliged.
Sitting in the new room I got caught up on my banking then decided to go for a walk to the beach. The Siesta Suites is two blocks north of the Wyndham Hotel on the west end of the Marina. Itís a pretty good walk to the beach but I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Walking in the warm ocean surf was fantastic. I regret that I did not wear my swim suit and didnít go for a swim but there will be other beaches.

On the way back I stopped for a couple of cold ones. Sitting in the bar with a stupid grin on my face, I had to pinch myself. I actually rode a motorcycle to Cabo San Lucas and am sitting in a bar enjoying drinks. Wish you were here!

Lands End as seen from the public beach

After my walk I decided to take a water taxi out to Lands End to see the famous Arch. I found a boat and was the only passenger. It is really spectacular and I shot dozens of photos. Alas....my camera had no memory card in it! What a silly gringo I am. Rather than get upset about it I just decided Iíll have to come back for a vacation sometime.

Dinner was delicious at Wicked Pizza (Sorry Food Photo haters)

Tomorrow La Paz and the Ferry