User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-30-2013, 06:04 PM   #1
Emmbeedee OP
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,735
Canadian Rally Avoidance Thread (RAT)

When we mentioned on ADV a few weeks ago that we were coming to Nova Scotia for a holiday this week, we were sent a couple of PMs from people warning us about the Wharf Rat rally in Digby, and that if our itinerary took us anywhere near there, we'd have trouble finding peace and quiet, let alone food and accomodations.

So we really appreciated the warning, and stayed some distance from there. In fact some of the people in the motel we're in live in Digby, and moved away for the weekend. We met lots of riders in NS on Harleys and cruisers who were surprised that we weren't on the way to Digby, but that's just not the kind of thing you do on DR650s. We don't, anyway.

So we thought it might be good to have a thread which warns those who don't find that kind of thing interesting about those events to avoid.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 06:25 PM   #2
jacob_ns
Helicopter Doctor

Oddometer: 179
I have my KLR loaded up and I'm heading down to the rally tomorrow AM with a couple other inmates.

It's a good time, lots of events, lots of vendors and best of all, it's very close to some pretty fantastic trails. If I wanted to, there's plenty of crown land to camp on that wouldn't really be accessible by anything other than a DS or ATV, but I opted to camp near town which cost me $15.

It's not all cruisers. There will be a dualsport presence. You're missing out.
Old 08-30-2013, 06:33 PM   #3
Emmbeedee OP
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacob_ns View Post
It's not all cruisers. There will be a dualsport presence. You're missing out.
This is the first I've heard of anyone saying there's more to it than just cruisers. I hope you have a good time, and I'm sure you will, but we're heading home tomorrow anyway.
Old 08-30-2013, 06:45 PM   #4
jacob_ns
Helicopter Doctor

Oddometer: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
This is the first I've heard of anyone saying there's more to it than just cruisers. I hope you have a good time, and I'm sure you will, but we're heading home tomorrow anyway.
I've been going for about 4 years now. It's predominantly cruisers, but there's a presence by pretty much every other kind of bike. Every year it becomes more varied as the scope of the rally grows.

Everyone is welcoming too. Regardless, I hope you enjoyed your time in Nova Scotia!
Old 08-30-2013, 06:51 PM   #5
Emmbeedee OP
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacob_ns View Post
I've been going for about 4 years now. It's predominantly cruisers, but there's a presence by pretty much every other kind of bike. Every year it becomes more varied as the scope of the rally grows.

Everyone is welcoming too. Regardless, I hope you enjoyed your time in Nova Scotia!
The people in NS are great. It's amazing to see how many people wave, whether you're in a car or on a bike.

We trailered two DRs down. Mine wouldn't start this morning so we took the car out instead.

It was very windy and sprinkling, anyway. I need to stop at Atlantic Motoplex tomorrow for a battery so I can ride when I get back home, on Monday.

Hope the weather's good for you!
Old 08-31-2013, 05:06 AM   #6
rob1313
Still learning

Oddometer: 4,297
Seems to me that I find what I expect to find. If I expect to find unpleasant people that's what I get, if I go in with an open mind I usually get great people and a good experience. Dual sport, cruiser, harley, sport bike, it's all music, just a different genre.
Old 08-31-2013, 05:21 AM   #7
dryden_rider_54
Sun Seeker

Oddometer: 1,580
I took my KLR to Sturgis. It is not about the type of bike heading to a rally, it is about the type of people. I would say that you missed out on an experience. It may have been a great one and may have been a miserable one but it was a missed opportunity none the less.

We went down to the Aerostich Very Boring Rally last weekend, there was a mix of all types of bikes but to me everyone had a common bond and that was to ride a motorcycle of their choice and not be judged for it.

Personally I would never avoid a rally based on a strangers recommendation so would not find this thread that useful. I make my own judgement and don't let others put me between the painted lines in the parking lot.

It is a lot of what adventure riding is all about

Find us on Spot http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...YGllfEZqqxYWcA
dryden_rider_54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 06:31 AM   #8
Emmbeedee OP
Procrastinators

All good points. I have been to rallies before and know there are good people everywhere. I also know I ride to get away from noise and crowds, so I appreciated the warning.

I have nothing against rallies; I just choose the ones I want to attend, or not. So an alert that one is on won't necessarily mean I won't be there. Just that I won't be surprised when I get there.
Old 09-03-2013, 08:44 AM   #9
bwokentoof
Pollyanna Man

Oddometer: 328
Once rode our DS's to a quilting bee....

Bit of a let down.
Old 09-03-2013, 01:57 PM   #10
amk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 462
Yea, there are places to be avoided for sure. Yesterday I passed by Cochrane, near Calgary, the whole place was crowded with cowboys, you know, the guys with pistols under the belt, spikes on heels, huge hats. And that was good, since I missed the major gay/lesbian parade/gathering the day before...
amk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 05:43 PM   #11
bwokentoof
Pollyanna Man

Oddometer: 328
Lesbian cowboys are people too yahknow.....
Old 09-04-2013, 02:51 AM   #12
Deadly99
Fast and Far

Oddometer: 8,477
Whoa, lesbian cowboy rally....this I gotta see. When and where?

TCAT (Trans Canada Adventure Trail)

Gravel Travel Canada - Canada's Source for Overland Travel
Deadly99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 06:42 PM   #13
CanadianX
Oh!? That is deep.

Oddometer: 1,222
Used to live a couple hours away so we took a cruise down on the GSA for the day. Definitely one if not the only DS but no problem we rolled down the bikes only street, parked flipped open the panniers dumped our gear and donned our sandals and walk around for a couple of hours. Definitely some cool bikes, albeit mostly HD and the like. Wasn't a bad way to spend an afternoon, not sure what the night scene would have been like but who knows might have been a hoot. As it was we were happy to have taken it in for a few hours and also happy to be back on the bike enjoying rolling some miles under the tires.
CanadianX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 05:50 PM   #14
dresda
shut up and RIDE!

Oddometer: 930
Quote:
Originally Posted by dryden_rider_54 View Post
Personally I would never avoid a rally based on a strangers recommendation so would not find this thread that useful. I make my own judgement and don't let others put me between the painted lines in the parking lot.

It is a lot of what adventure riding is all about
Since the point of a lot of vacations is to 'get away from it all', finding an unexpected several thousands bikers might not be a good thing.

Personally I'd like to know in advance if an area is to be invaded! Full motels and restaurants are not what I hope to find when I'm on a holiday.

The point of this thread is to simply list the rallies so we can avoid those areas during those time periods when we plan to be travelling to an area!
'....and I shall baffle you with cabbages and rhinoceroses in the kitchen, incessant quotations from "Now We Are Six" through the mouthpiece of Lord Snooty's giant, poisoned, electric head. ' from My Pink Half of the Drainpipe by Bonzo Dog Doo Dah Band.
dresda is offline   Reply With Quote