ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 15 votes, 4.93 average. Display Modes
Old 09-06-2013, 04:42 PM   #3436
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,071
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymboze View Post
I now have ZERO faith in the unit in an emergency, as a press of the SOS button may not stay active if the unit again shuts down.

They offered me a $50 credit towards the price of a new unit, but I would not even consider another one.

NEVER AGAIN WILL I BUY A SPOT UNIT.

I bought this thing for use in an emergency, but if it is unreliable, what's the point...?
I think the Spot Connect has a lot of issues but my Spot I and II units have always been reliable. Maybe you should see if they'll allow you to switch to a different model?
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 04:52 PM   #3437
DangerMoney
Loud Helmets Save Lives

Oddometer: 1,384
I bought the replacement unit insurance when I purchased my first SPOT II. For a $30 deductible they send me a new unit when one fails.

If you buy something at REI and it fails, take it back to REI and you get a replacement free or a refund. I assume this policy works for SPOT units.
DangerMoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 05:41 PM   #3438
jaymboze
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
I was told there is nothing they can do, apart from a credit towards another unit which I'm not interested in.
Next purchase will be a sat phone, for emergency use only.

My experience with spot has not been great and would not recommend it to a friend. Too many issues with both their hardware and software, and given that this unit is deigned to help you in a bad situation, that's just not good enough in my book.
My subscription is up in February and I will not be renewing it.

Paper weight anyone...?

I READ IT ON THE INTERNET, SO IT MUST BE TRUE...
jaymboze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 07:10 PM   #3439
eddyturn
Wannabe

Oddometer: 1,404
I got rescued by a SPOT II message the other day as there were no cell services where I was at the time. Some flash floods had left some dicey road crossings and I had made several of them... till the last one. the mud looked the same but it was deeper and I got stuck big time. I unloaded the bike and still could not budge it. I hit the help button and my wife got the email that she needed to let the sheriff in that county check on me.

They asked about any medical conditions and over did it and sent in the sheriff, EMT, fire department. Within about 20 minutes there was a guy in his pickup next to me asking if I was the guy they were looking for and if I was OK. He then called off the ambulance that was coming from ~60 miles away. All I needed was some help pushing back and that we did. Loaded all the luggage back up and turned back to an alternate route.

SPOT worked as it should have and saved my butt. I bought the II rather than the III as it's too new and untried. I would have loved to have had a Connect but have read too much negative about that thing and they apparently haven't fixed it yet. Too bad.
Old 09-06-2013, 08:01 PM   #3440
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 4,584
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddyturn View Post
I got rescued by a SPOT II message the other day as there were no cell services where I was at the time. Some flash floods had left some dicey road crossings and I had made several of them... till the last one. the mud looked the same but it was deeper and I got stuck big time. I unloaded the bike and still could not budge it. I hit the help button and my wife got the email that she needed to let the sheriff in that county check on me.

They asked about any medical conditions and over did it and sent in the sheriff, EMT, fire department. Within about 20 minutes there was a guy in his pickup next to me asking if I was the guy they were looking for and if I was OK. He then called off the ambulance that was coming from ~60 miles away. All I needed was some help pushing back and that we did. Loaded all the luggage back up and turned back to an alternate route.

SPOT worked as it should have and saved my butt. I bought the II rather than the III as it's too new and untried. I would have loved to have had a Connect but have read too much negative about that thing and they apparently haven't fixed it yet. Too bad.
Good to hear it worked out well for you Bob!
Smugmug Pics - Save $5: Y2l43o9LVBERU
BlueLghtning is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 08:05 PM   #3441
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymboze View Post
I was told there is nothing they can do, apart from a credit towards another unit which I'm not interested in.
Next purchase will be a sat phone, for emergency use only.

My experience with spot has not been great and would not recommend it to a friend. Too many issues with both their hardware and software, and given that this unit is deigned to help you in a bad situation, that's just not good enough in my book.
My subscription is up in February and I will not be renewing it.

Paper weight anyone...?
It's a shame you've had so much trouble with the SPOT Connect, but yours isn't the first bad report I've heard and probably not the last. I'm still using a SPOT 1 with great success going on 5-6 years and really don't plan to upgrade. The SPOT 3 might get my attention after some good usage reports but its still pretty new.

Anyway, its a shame to write them off based on that one device that obviously has had a less than stellar track record just from reports here on ADV and probably a lot more out there too. That device just didn't get enough real world testing before it went to market or just wasn't ready for prime time use.

I can't say I've ever had any issues with the website over the course of that time either.
Old 09-06-2013, 08:34 PM   #3442
Mike E
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
I had two Spot 2 units fail on me. I hope the new version proves better, but I'm now very skeptical until I hear more about their reliability.
Mike E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 01:51 PM   #3443
jaymboze
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike E View Post
I had two Spot 2 units fail on me. I hope the new version proves better, but I'm now very skeptical until I hear more about their reliability.
I would not even consider another Spot purchase after 2 failures.
You are a braver man than I...!

I READ IT ON THE INTERNET, SO IT MUST BE TRUE...
jaymboze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 05:05 PM   #3444
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

GPSCentral in Calgary have the Spot II for $119, and a $50 rebate makes it even cheaper. Don't forget to try the Free Tracking code described in one of the other threads here on ADV if you buy one of these. Saves yet another $50.
Old 09-10-2013, 05:12 PM   #3445
250senuf
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,123
Spot discount code

Check this thread re discount code:
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=796139

Go to the last posts then read toward the start.

250senuf screwed with this post 09-10-2013 at 06:12 PM
250senuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 04:18 AM   #3446
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

From the GPSCity Facebook page yesterday:

Im happy to confirm that the SPOT 3 unit was certified by the FCC today.

Hardware will start shipping from the US to Canada tomorrow. Back orders will start arriving next week. Yay!!!
Old 10-18-2013, 03:07 PM   #3447
Altego
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 126
I lost my Spot Gen II yesterday on a ride in the middle of nowhere and I immediately felt vulnerable. It is funny how much safer I felt carrying it. I ride solo almost exclusively and frequently far off the beaten path. I used it to check in with the wife regularly and also for tracking and I never had a single problem in the last 3 years of use.

I called Spot and they suspended the service and will transfer it to my new device once purchased.

I know that there are Spot haters out there but it is a system that has worked well for me
Old 10-18-2013, 03:52 PM   #3448
fluff34567
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 814
I assume u didn't have tracking function?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2
fluff34567 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 05:32 PM   #3449
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altego View Post
I lost my Spot Gen II yesterday on a ride in the middle of nowhere and I immediately felt vulnerable. It is funny how much safer I felt carrying it. I ride solo almost exclusively and frequently far off the beaten path. I used it to check in with the wife regularly and also for tracking and I never had a single problem in the last 3 years of use.

I called Spot and they suspended the service and will transfer it to my new device once purchased.

I know that there are Spot haters out there but it is a system that has worked well for me
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluff34567 View Post
I assume u didn't have tracking function?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2
That's what I was going to ask? If the tracking had been on, you could probably go right to it.
Old 10-18-2013, 06:08 PM   #3450
ArmyJoe
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 963
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLghtning View Post
That's what I was going to ask? If the tracking had been on, you could probably go right to it.
Even with tracking enabled, you can't find it without another GPS device to verify your position.

My latest adventures detailed at ArmyJoe's Perpetual Picture Thread:
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=888783
ArmyJoe is offline   Reply With Quote