ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Canada
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-06-2013, 08:27 PM   #8446
BackRoader
Heading There Next
 
BackRoader's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: The Center of Canada, Home of the Arctic Vortex
Oddometer: 4,563
All that shit is better than hanging out on the bald ass prairie!!!


Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
__________________
2011 BMW R1200GS Triple Black, 1983 Yamaha RZ350, 1978 Yamaha XS650 SE,1967 Honda CD125, 2007 Kawasaki Super Sherpa, 2004 Yamaha BWS, 1980 Honda C70 Cub.
BackRoader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 08:40 PM   #8447
Lappeman
He's Down Again!
 
Lappeman's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Lappe, ON Coldest, wettest place...well not quite!
Oddometer: 2,097
Quote:
Originally Posted by BackRoader View Post
All that shit is better than hanging out on the bald ass prairie!!!


Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
I might have to agree with you on that one
__________________
Lappeman
Photos http://s891.photobucket.com/profile/Lappeman
Youtube http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCB-w...7m3yBQA/videos
2003 KLR 650 Alaskan Adventure
2007 YZ250F Blue Death
Lappeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 09:32 PM   #8448
ZZR_Ron OP
Underground
 
ZZR_Ron's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2004
Location: Thunder Bay, Ontario, Canada
Oddometer: 8,004
As Lappeman said...this is different kind of adventure! I'm pretty pumped bout it.

As this isn't the ride reports section, we can post some pics later...besides, part of the adventure will be on two wheels. Mountain Bikes!
__________________
Great minds think alike;small minds seldom differ...

ZZR_Ron screwed with this post 09-07-2013 at 04:08 AM
ZZR_Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 10:48 AM   #8449
FINNDIAN
Mine goes to 11
 
FINNDIAN's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Wawa, ont, Canada
Oddometer: 1,732
Saw something interesting at Tim hortons today. Thought Relic was in there.




Sent from somewhere, somehow using tapatalk4
__________________
The more side roads you stop to explore, the less likely that life will pass you by. ~Robert Brault. 2004 KTM 950 S GO!!!!(Blacked out),03 Beta Rev3, 1973 Rokon Trailbreaker 2x2, 1999 Intruder 1500, 08 Aprilia rxv450, 90 DRBIG 800,79GS850
Ride Reports
FINNDIAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 03:14 PM   #8450
guzzirelic
Gnarly Adventurer
 
guzzirelic's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: near Espanola Ontario Canada
Oddometer: 180
Hey Gord,
thanks for that photo. Looks like a '73 Eldorado- drum brake was replaced with a disc for '74. I was out today with my Eldo and on Hwy 17 but not quite so far west as Wawa...




wife wanted a photo of the bush in bloom and wants to know what kind it is. I'm guessing she'd like to add one to her garden. (another obstacle for me to try and avoid with the lawn tractor)

Relic
__________________
I wonder where this goes...
2006 DR650(for sale); 1989 DR750
1974 MotoGuzzi Eldorado/sidecar outfit
1976 Yamaha DT400C; 1960 Panther M120
1970 Yamaha 100 L5TA Trailmaster
guzzirelic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 07:24 PM   #8451
ZZR_Ron OP
Underground
 
ZZR_Ron's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2004
Location: Thunder Bay, Ontario, Canada
Oddometer: 8,004
Lappeman, Nanabijou and I did the "Quest for the Tower" . I had to bow out for the last kilometer or so, because I "hit the wall" for a while. They took some great video, and pictures along the way, which I hope they post! ( I think my legs may be in deep physical pain)

Those guys were excellent today!
__________________
Great minds think alike;small minds seldom differ...

ZZR_Ron screwed with this post 09-08-2013 at 07:57 PM
ZZR_Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 09:45 PM   #8452
benwr
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Location: Kenora, ON
Oddometer: 101
Picked up a set of Zegas and a Sargent seat over at f800.org, Check em out:


benwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 09:48 PM   #8453
BackRoader
Heading There Next
 
BackRoader's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: The Center of Canada, Home of the Arctic Vortex
Oddometer: 4,563
Nice looking set up... You will appreciate the Sargent Seat.


Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
__________________
2011 BMW R1200GS Triple Black, 1983 Yamaha RZ350, 1978 Yamaha XS650 SE,1967 Honda CD125, 2007 Kawasaki Super Sherpa, 2004 Yamaha BWS, 1980 Honda C70 Cub.
BackRoader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 10:08 AM   #8454
Lappeman
He's Down Again!
 
Lappeman's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Lappe, ON Coldest, wettest place...well not quite!
Oddometer: 2,097
Fire Tower...

Since I still can't post photos, I'll leave that to Ron and Mike. This is the trip that I attempted on my KTM 530 last year but came up short at a locked gate. I now see that I never would've found my way there on the bike anyway.

We found that the tower that is standing, was not the original tower, as we found footing for the original one beside the current tower. Date on one footing was marked as 1955 and that would be the tower that Ron's Dad worked at and brought Ron to back in the 60's.

Some stats from our grueling adventure yesterday. We ended up boating on Shebandowan Lake for 29.7kms, 3.9kms out of our way as we missed the turn into the bay and had to backtrack. Mike and I hiked for 13.7kms in total and Ron, who amazingly was even doing this after his heart surgery in April, covered 11.9kms, not being able to finish the last mile up a steep pitch to the tower. We walked 4.45kms out of our way following false trails, roads and trying to figure out how to get to certain points. We wasted a lot of time trying to stay dry crossing the creek that flows to Greenwater Lake...it was quite hilarious trying to cross over on a maze of dead trees that had fallen in the water! We ended up wet anyway and one the way back we just walked across the creek at a partial beaver dam where the water was only knee deep!

The tower is in decent shape and still contains the table complete with the rotating top that the old Alidade sat on, which was the instrument that contained a map and compass degree ring on it. We believe we found the remains of the old Towerman's cabin down near a nearby lake. Nothing left but an old cooking wood stove, sink, garbage and the old roofing tin from the original tower.

It was a long 13 hour day and my body hurts from toes up to my neck but it was very satisfying reaching this old historical landmark, as they are disappearing more and more every year!

Here's a link to give you an idea of the life of a Tower watchman http://ontarioftl.bravehost.com/towermen.html
__________________
Lappeman
Photos http://s891.photobucket.com/profile/Lappeman
Youtube http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCB-w...7m3yBQA/videos
2003 KLR 650 Alaskan Adventure
2007 YZ250F Blue Death

Lappeman screwed with this post 09-09-2013 at 10:42 AM
Lappeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 10:18 AM   #8455
BackRoader
Heading There Next
 
BackRoader's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: The Center of Canada, Home of the Arctic Vortex
Oddometer: 4,563
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lappeman View Post
Since I still can't post photos, I'll leave that to Ron and Mike. This is the trip that I attempted on my KTM 530 last year but came up short at a locked gate. I now see that I never would've found my way there on the bike anyway.

We found that the tower that is standing, was not the original tower, as we found footing for the original one beside the current tower. Date on one footing was marked as 1955 and that would be the tower that Ron's Dad worked at and brought Ron to back in the 60's.

Some stats from our grueling adventure yesterday. We ended up boating on Shebandowan Lake for 29.7kms, 3.9kms out of our way as we missed the turn into the bay and had to backtrack. Mike and I hiked for 13.7kms in total and Ron, who amazingly was even doing this after his heart surgery in April, covered 11.9kms, not being able to finish the last mile up a steep pitch to the tower. We walked 4.45kms out of our way following false trails, roads and trying to figure out how to get to certain points. We wasted a lot of time trying to stay dry crossing the creek that flows to Greenwater Lake...it was quite hilarious trying to cross over on a maze of dead trees that had fallen in the water! We ended up wet anyway and one the way back we just walked across the creek at a partial beaver dam where the water was only knee deep!

The tower is in decent shape and still contains the table complete with the rotating top that the old Alidade sat on, which was the instrument that contained a map and compass degree ring on it. We believe we found the remains of the old Towerman's cabin down near a nearby lake. Nothing left but an old cooking wood stove, sink, garbage and the old roofing tin from the original tower.

It was a long 13 hour day and my body hurts from toes up to my neck but it was very satisfying reaching this old historical landmark, as they are disappearing more and more every year!
Awesome stuff. Thanks for sharing.
Ron is a trooper when it comes to reminiscing the old haunts.
__________________
2011 BMW R1200GS Triple Black, 1983 Yamaha RZ350, 1978 Yamaha XS650 SE,1967 Honda CD125, 2007 Kawasaki Super Sherpa, 2004 Yamaha BWS, 1980 Honda C70 Cub.
BackRoader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 10:53 AM   #8456
ZZR_Ron OP
Underground
 
ZZR_Ron's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2004
Location: Thunder Bay, Ontario, Canada
Oddometer: 8,004
Guess someone has thier facts wrong! We not only livid on the tower for two summers, but we did it with a mostly blind mother.

"Most towermen were supplied with ham radios and live-in bunkhouses where they lived all summer. The towers were often so far back in the bush that commuting wasn't an option. It goes without saying that being married or raising a family was not always a part of a towerman's life during their tower tenures. Recently, however, I had the chance to talk with the wife of an ex-towerman. According to Mrs. Gloria Weight, who's husband ran the Lutterworth Fire Tower at Moore Falls, Haliburton, "As far as I know I was the only wife who got to spend the summer at a fire tower. I cooked on a little gas stove and met visitors to the tower. We raised our son there in the summer and he climbed the 85 ft. tower by the age of one. We only got to go into town for food and paycheques once a month during a rainfall."


__________________
Great minds think alike;small minds seldom differ...

ZZR_Ron screwed with this post 09-09-2013 at 11:05 AM
ZZR_Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 02:09 PM   #8457
BackRoader
Heading There Next
 
BackRoader's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: The Center of Canada, Home of the Arctic Vortex
Oddometer: 4,563
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZR_Ron View Post
Guess someone has thier facts wrong! We not only livid on the tower for two summers, but we did it with a mostly blind mother.

"Most towermen were supplied with ham radios and live-in bunkhouses where they lived all summer. The towers were often so far back in the bush that commuting wasn't an option. It goes without saying that being married or raising a family was not always a part of a towerman's life during their tower tenures. Recently, however, I had the chance to talk with the wife of an ex-towerman. According to Mrs. Gloria Weight, who's husband ran the Lutterworth Fire Tower at Moore Falls, Haliburton, "As far as I know I was the only wife who got to spend the summer at a fire tower. I cooked on a little gas stove and met visitors to the tower. We raised our son there in the summer and he climbed the 85 ft. tower by the age of one. We only got to go into town for food and paycheques once a month during a rainfall."


Ron!!! Your doing it up fine buddy!!! Keep on sharing the history!
__________________
2011 BMW R1200GS Triple Black, 1983 Yamaha RZ350, 1978 Yamaha XS650 SE,1967 Honda CD125, 2007 Kawasaki Super Sherpa, 2004 Yamaha BWS, 1980 Honda C70 Cub.
BackRoader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 03:28 PM   #8458
skysailor
Rat Rider
 
skysailor's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Kenora, Canada
Oddometer: 3,338
Quote:
Originally Posted by benwr View Post
Picked up a set of Zegas and a Sargent seat over at f800.org, Check em out:


Just can't get any nicer than that! Great find Ben.
Lyle
skysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 04:55 AM   #8459
ZZR_Ron OP
Underground
 
ZZR_Ron's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2004
Location: Thunder Bay, Ontario, Canada
Oddometer: 8,004
Back to work today. That is all.
__________________
Great minds think alike;small minds seldom differ...
ZZR_Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 05:02 AM   #8460
dryden_rider_54
Sun Seeker
 
dryden_rider_54's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: Just ahead of a flat line.
Oddometer: 1,612
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZR_Ron View Post
Back to work today. That is all.
Kind of sad really, make the most of it Ron.
__________________
Lemon Socialism - Privatize the Profits, Socialize the Losses.
His - 2006 KLR Red, 2010 F800GS 30th Anniversary edition
Hers - 2003 KL250 Super Sherpa Green, 2010 F650GS Biarritz Blue Metallic

Find us on Spot http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...YGllfEZqqxYWcA
dryden_rider_54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 01:40 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014