ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-05-2013, 03:43 PM   #1
Brendan33c OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
Front tyres - recommendations?

Hi All. I've read many a post on this fine forum about tires, but haven't had the best of luck in finding much about the specific front tires I'm looking at changing too. Currently using a full bore front tire which was on the bike when I bought it. It's not actually too bad in gravel for a cheap tyre and works well enough on the road for me. Last weekend I was up the hills after a light snow, most of the snow had melted leaving the gravel road a bit greasy in places which gave me a few scares. I had planned on replacing the full bore tire at some stage and going to something a bit more knobbly, but this motivated me to get onto it sooner. I'm looking at a TKC80 front, but they are really expensive here in little old NZ and I don't like the thought of a soft sidewall and dented rims. Has anyone had any experience with the following?

Metzeler Karoo 2
metzeler karoo 2T
Mitas E09
Mitas E10
Michelin T63

Thanks guys, any advice would be really appreciated.
Old 09-06-2013, 01:50 PM   #2
Balsta
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan33c View Post
Hi All. I've read many a post on this fine forum about tires, but haven't had the best of luck in finding much about the specific front tires I'm looking at changing too. Currently using a full bore front tire which was on the bike when I bought it. It's not actually too bad in gravel for a cheap tyre and works well enough on the road for me. Last weekend I was up the hills after a light snow, most of the snow had melted leaving the gravel road a bit greasy in places which gave me a few scares. I had planned on replacing the full bore tire at some stage and going to something a bit more knobbly, but this motivated me to get onto it sooner. I'm looking at a TKC80 front, but they are really expensive here in little old NZ and I don't like the thought of a soft sidewall and dented rims. Has anyone had any experience with the following?

Metzeler Karoo 2
metzeler karoo 2T
Mitas E09
Mitas E10
Michelin T63

Thanks guys, any advice would be really appreciated.
Ive run through Karoo, Karoo T, TKC 80 and T63. They are all comparable (excep for Karoo T which bites less on gravel). I ended up preferring T63 but I dont really remember why the T63 won over the TKC80. TKC80 is fun because geometry make the bike turn easier. Last summer I went one step knobbier with the really gravel-safe Pirelli Scorpion Rally (to the price of less perfect on tarmac but still OK) Not tried the Mitas yet.
Old 09-06-2013, 02:34 PM   #3
KnowFear
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
Karoo 2
Old 09-06-2013, 06:54 PM   #4
Rodknee
I wish I was Ghetto

Oddometer: 2,214
balsta is spot on. pirelli scorpion rally is the bomb for dual sport up front on the big girls. i am very happy with mine, and will not run anything else up front.
NY to Alaska Ride Report Aug 14'
2014 Rides: Katie M Big girl & Berg Hoon'icycle
RIP Buddy 1999-2014
Rodknee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 07:07 PM   #5
Pete640
I hate sand.......

Oddometer: 1,674
+1 on the Scorp rallye. Excellent tyre and great wearing.
Old 09-06-2013, 09:33 PM   #6
Carnage
FKR!!!

Oddometer: 21
Pirelli Scorpion MT 21 works a treat. I've tried TKC 80, Karoo, 606, Desert & the MT 21 has worked the best for me...
Carnage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 11:10 PM   #7
Top Bloke
Porky Rider

Oddometer: 111
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnage View Post
Pirelli Scorpion MT 21 works a treat. I've tried TKC 80, Karoo, 606, Desert & the MT 21 has worked the best for me...
+1

I'm running an MT21 now and just blasted it through 1200km of mixed surface desert. Looks like new still. Cheap too.
Top Bloke is offline   Reply With Quote