Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Canada
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-28-2013, 07:24 PM   #16
Mr. Canoehead
Taste Gunnels!

Oddometer: 1,426
The best recent trend is articles with the words "public opinion" in the title which contain nothing but twitter quotes. How is that journalism?

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2

"No matter how many [internet] opinions you line up, you can't vote nonsense into truth"- Kevin Cameron
Mr. Canoehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 01:38 PM   #17
Corbeau
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 377
I've spent 10 years as a member of the Fourth Estate. I was a talented news getter, writing for community weeklies at first, then dailies (a never ending string of term contracts and freelance.)
Then, six years ago, I decided to switch careers and did a one-year B. Ed and became a teacher. Huge drop in the pay check but my income now matches what it would have been had I remained a reporter (which means top of the grid for an inkslinger, halfway up the grid as a teacher...)
Do I regret my decision? Only when I read the bylines of former colleagues at The Citizen (not the one in Prince George...) covering a huge story...
But the business is so different then when I started. Weeklies are still the place to start, but you work much harder to feed the beast that is the web. And dailies aren't offering staff positions, are cutting back on the number of reporters in the newsroom and are asking those who are there to turn in more stories in a day...
Corbeau is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 02:16 PM   #18
Embers
n00b

Oddometer: 2
So many aspects!

So many aspects to this seemingly simple topic have been brought up already. How about the aspect of paperless journalism? (Reducing paper use.) I'm not sure how I feel about it myself - there's a nice quality to holding a hard copy in your hands (not to mention job retention)...but I like to respect the environmental impact as well.
Embers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 03:41 PM   #19
jackd
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,937
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbeau View Post
I've spent 10 years as a member of the Fourth Estate. I was a talented news getter, writing for community weeklies at first, then dailies (a never ending string of term contracts and freelance.)
Then, six years ago, I decided to switch careers and did a one-year B. Ed and became a teacher. Huge drop in the pay check but my income now matches what it would have been had I remained a reporter (which means top of the grid for an inkslinger, halfway up the grid as a teacher...)
Do I regret my decision? Only when I read the bylines of former colleagues at The Citizen (not the one in Prince George...) covering a huge story...
But the business is so different then when I started. Weeklies are still the place to start, but you work much harder to feed the beast that is the web. And dailies aren't offering staff positions, are cutting back on the number of reporters in the newsroom and are asking those who are there to turn in more stories in a day...
Good luck in the teaching world - I think you made a good choice. My ex is a teacher and the industry is still healthy from what I can tell. I just got off the phone with my university going Son and we were discussing the demise of the Globe - he agreed that the quality had diminished over the last few years. He is now turning his sights to the European rags - Le Monde, The Guardian, etc. They still seem to be doing a good job of it and seem to be healthy. Maybe the disease of which we speak is more of a North American phenomena.
jackd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 08:40 PM   #20
nvdlboy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 987
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdwalker View Post
I wonder if the journalists like to eat. Or own houses.
I have a number of paid subscriptions to other newspapers and magazines - electronic and physical formats; I used to subscribe to the G&M, however, I have found that the quality of much of their product has gone steadily downhill over the past 20 to 25 years or so - much more quickly in the past 5 or so.
Old 08-30-2013, 09:16 AM   #21
Rinty
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 537
I read the A section of the Globe daily so I can keep tabs on Central Canada's view of what is going on out West. I like the paper's writers, regardless of whether I agree with their positions. Sometimes, as in Jeff Simpson's column today about the identity of Quebecers, they can be brilliant.

As for the future of newspapers, I think we're headed for a Jeff Bezos world, so we'll have keep a tablet handy in the bathroom.

Rinty screwed with this post 08-30-2013 at 12:58 PM
Rinty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 11:02 AM   #22
Argus16
Fake n00b

Oddometer: 419
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackd View Post
...They still seem to be doing a good job of it and seem to be healthy. Maybe the disease of which we speak is more of a North American phenomena.
Pretty much agree. I make paper for a living and while our order-book for N.A. is in steep decline our contracts for Central and South America remain healthy. For how long is the question...
Argus16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 09:48 PM   #23
bigbadandugly
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 391
I would actually pay a monthly subscription fee for some of these online "newspaper" sites if the subscription fee actually eliminated the annoying advertising on the websites.
Dyno testing of a PC-V + Full Akropovic system on an R1200GS
bigbadandugly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 10:37 AM   #24
jackd
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,937
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinty View Post
Sometimes, as in Jeff Simpson's column today about the identity of Quebecers, they can be brilliant.
Jeff Simpson is a true treasure to read and hear. It's the Margaret Wente's and their drivel that started the race to the end of what was once a great publication.
jackd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 09:17 AM   #25
Rinty
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 537
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackd View Post
It's the Margaret Wente's and their drivel...

On a related note, Diane Francis has an excellent column in the August 27 Financial Post, on where Jeff Bezos is taking the Washington Post. I couldn't get it to link, because I haven't paid any subscription.
Rinty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 04:01 AM   #26
ZZR_Ron
Underground

Oddometer: 8,004
I'm one of thousands of laid off paper mill workers. It's a changed world, and there isn't much you can do about it. I can't believe how many fairly modern paper mills shut down in my corner of the world.