Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Latin America
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-17-2013, 05:02 AM   #1
Rods OP
bikers help desk

Oddometer: 7
No temporary permit required for brazil anymore!!

Hi everyone,

Just thought would be interesting to give this advice to everyone coming into Brazil.
The brazilian customs(RECEITA FEDERAL) issued a new rule about permits saying that it´s NOT required anymore the TIP when you enter Brazil riding your vehicle. I know it sounds strange but that´s what is from now on. you still have to stamp your passport(of course!!)but threre´s no need of the permit.

From this situation I can see many possibilities, first is that you can leave your bike in Brazil for as long as you want. Second, you leave the bike in Brazi in case you want to sell to another travellers and he´ll be ableto pick it anywhere without tha hassling to get a new permit.

If you have an questions please let me know and I would be happy to get the official information from the customs.

Cheers
Rod
www.bikershelpdesk.blogspot.com
Rods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 08:19 PM   #2
damasovi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,606
hi,

Well I may be mixing things here (confuse?) I am Mexican and require a visa to enter the country, will this change too? Regarless of this, does the new changes apply to us also? or just some nationalities?

Thanks!

Damasovi
Old 07-31-2013, 07:16 PM   #3
GastonUSAChile
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 771
Regardnig the stamp on the passport, it doesn't mean that the vehicle won't be controlled too. You must exit with the vehicle upon tourist visa expiration.
Stamps on the passport are proof of entry, but also there si a tourist card issued when you enter the country (Brasil or any other).

So, at the end it is the same, with exemption of not having a separate form for the vehicle. And yes, you can leave without the vehicle but be sure to enter and exit before the tourist visa expire.

Countries in Latin America, including Brazil always stamp your passport when you enter and when you exit.

US SHIPPING Now open: JUNE-JULY 2014 Share Container CHILE to MIAMI or HOUSTON
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=741582 www.samericaxplorer.net
GastonUSAChile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 07:24 PM   #4
TeeVee
His mudda was a mudda!

Oddometer: 736
Quote:
Originally Posted by GastonUSAChile View Post
Countries in Latin America, including Brazil always stamp your passport when you enter and when you exit.
um...no. nicaragua, costa rica, and panama do not stamp passports when you exit.
TeeVee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 07:09 AM   #5
csustewy
Motojero

Oddometer: 536
Quote:
Originally Posted by GastonUSAChile View Post
Regardnig the stamp on the passport, it doesn't mean that the vehicle won't be controlled too. You must exit with the vehicle upon tourist visa expiration.
Stamps on the passport are proof of entry, but also there si a tourist card issued when you enter the country (Brasil or any other).

So, at the end it is the same, with exemption of not having a separate form for the vehicle. And yes, you can leave without the vehicle but be sure to enter and exit before the tourist visa expire.

I am not convinced that you must exit with the vehicle upon tourist visa expiration. Since there is no longer a TVIP issued by Brasil, they are not establishing a specified departure date for your vehicle. Unless there is something in the new law that defines a vehicle departure date based on the date of entry, but I highly doubt that because that would not be a change from the old permit ways.

And no, not all countries issue tourist cards. Many just use the entry stamp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeVee View Post
um...no. nicaragua, costa rica, and panama do not stamp passports when you exit.
Those countries will stamp your passport when you exit, as I have exit stamps from each, but may not be necessary for all travelers/nationalities/situations.
csustewy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 08:43 PM   #6
TeeVee
His mudda was a mudda!

Quote:
Originally Posted by csustewy View Post
Those countries will stamp your passport when you exit, as I have exit stamps from each, but may not be necessary for all travelers/nationalities/situations.
that's funny, i have 22 pages of passport stamps from those 3 countries and not a single one on exit. i guess your special. or maybe i am!
Old 08-03-2013, 06:43 AM   #7
csustewy
Motojero

Quote:
that's funny, i have 22 pages of passport stamps from those 3 countries and not a single one on exit. i guess your special. or maybe i am!
You definitely have more data than I do - that's a lot of entry stamps! You better be glad you're not getting the exit stamps because you can only add so many pages to a passport.
Old 08-03-2013, 04:50 PM   #8
TeeVee
His mudda was a mudda!

Quote:
You definitely have more data than I do - that's a lot of entry stamps! You better be glad you're not getting the exit stamps because you can only add so many pages to a passport.
i've been flying to nicaragua once or twice per month for 4 years. panama and CR occasionally.

secret: when you renew your passport, order it with extra pages. costs a bit more but worth it if you travel a lot.
Old 08-04-2013, 05:26 AM   #9
csustewy
Motojero

Quote:
i've been flying to nicaragua once or twice per month for 4 years. panama and CR occasionally.

secret: when you renew your passport, order it with extra pages. costs a bit more but worth it if you travel a lot.
That's great that you get to spend so much time in those Central American countries! Just a thought on the exit stamps - maybe leaving from the airports is a different story than crossing land borders (where we got departure stamps on our way through).

And yeah, extra pages can be important. You can also get additional pages added (for a fee) at many embassies.
Old 09-04-2013, 07:19 PM   #10
dcstrom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,546
Thanks for that info Rod, just what I was looking for. I'm in Peru now but may have to return to the US for a few months or up to a year. Looking for the best country to leave the bike! If your info is correct, it sounds like Brazil would be the place. Or does anybody have other suggestions?

Do you have a link to a web site where I can confirm the Brazil Customs information?

thanks

Trevor
Old 09-04-2013, 07:43 PM   #11
Two Moto Kiwis
Homeless Somewhere

Oddometer: 3,487
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstrom View Post
Thanks for that info Rod, just what I was looking for. I'm in Peru now but may have to return to the US for a few months or up to a year. Looking for the best country to leave the bike! If your info is correct, it sounds like Brazil would be the place. Or does anybody have other suggestions?

Do you have a link to a web site where I can confirm the Brazil Customs information?

thanks

Trevor
I can ride your bike around Trevor ... make sure it has new tyres and a full tank

She must be pretty nice to have to go back for that longer mate, hope all is well.

Just had Maya serviced at R2R in Medellin the guys you gave us the card for, these guys rock!!!!
....Where The Hell Are We .. Spot Us
Two Moto Kiwis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 08:57 AM   #12
dcstrom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,546
Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Moto Kiwis View Post
I can ride your bike around Trevor ... make sure it has new tyres and a full tank

She must be pretty nice to have to go back for that longer mate, hope all is well.

Just had Maya serviced at R2R in Medellin the guys you gave us the card for, these guys rock!!!!
Nice offer Andi, and good to know that Orange Bike riders are aware of the need for a reliable backup ;-)

Glad the Medellin service worked out.

Trevor
Old 09-05-2013, 12:26 PM   #13
AndyT
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 478
Quote:
Just a thought on the exit stamps - maybe leaving from the airports is a different story than crossing land borders (where we got departure stamps on our way through).

Different country, but...having traveled to Guatemala several times, both by plane and bike, they don't stamp an exit into your passport when you leave by air, but they do by land. This caused a minor hassle the last time I left by land because it looked like I had way overstayed my visa, since I had been stamped in at the airport from my previous trip but not out. They let me fill out a form, and swear on a stack of bibles that I had in fact left the country, then they gave me a retro active exit stamp, in addition to the current exit stamp I was asking for.

Moral of the story is that I will be asking for an exit stamp in the future at airports.
Old 09-06-2013, 10:23 PM   #14
snatchy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 79
Quote:

thanks

Trevor
You can take it as gospel
I went through as one of the last to get one in late May. My second entry and exit in August was without paperwork for the bike.
snatchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 06:10 AM   #15
Two Moto Kiwis
Homeless Somewhere

Oddometer: 3,487
Quote:
Nice offer Andi, and good to know that Orange Bike riders are aware of the need for a reliable backup ;-)

Glad the Medellin service worked out.

Trevor
...other way round man ...just wanted to see what it is like to ride substandard product
....Where The Hell Are We .. Spot Us
Two Moto Kiwis is offline   Reply With Quote