ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-06-2013, 09:57 PM   #16
LoneRhino
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 125
I know this is probably obvious, but has anyone thought about how fast that motorcycle is? and what riding it at rush hour is like? Was there more water on the inside or out? How fast were you going? Any semi-s around? These are important factors... There is also the serious, always needs to be considered, prototype material, duct tape. That stuff is good, but don't get it on the skin... Plumbers goop is also able to fix any leak, but again, don't seal off any part of the anatomy which should not be sealed off... I'm sorry, but I am a problem solver and... needless to say, nobody mentioned these factors.

AMA / NCTR.net
“Someone once told me the definition of Hell: The last day you have on Earth, the person you became will meet the person you could have become.” – Anon
LoneRhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 04:33 AM   #17
Patj551
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 630
Quote:
Originally Posted by HAYVIATOR View Post
Ditto. Not sure how they designed the pads to ride so low, 2-3 inches in my case
I have Overland pants. The knee pad sleeve is adjustable via Velcro strips. I released the two upper Velcro strips and fastened the lower Velcro strips. That effectively moves the knee pad pocket up a couple inches. I'm 5'7" with 31" inseam. In the raised position the knee pads sit perfectly.

I am very pleased that the overland gear has kept me dry!
Patj551 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 07:46 AM   #18
jjmead1 OP
now THAT"S a bike!

Oddometer: 550
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoJones View Post
I know this is probably obvious, but has anyone thought about how fast that motorcycle is? and what riding it at rush hour is like? Was there more water on the inside or out? How fast were you going? Any semi-s around? These are important factors... There is also the serious, always needs to be considered, prototype material, duct tape. That stuff is good, but don't get it on the skin... Plumbers goop is also able to fix any leak, but again, don't seal off any part of the anatomy which should not be sealed off... I'm sorry, but I am a problem solver and... needless to say, nobody mentioned these factors.
Uh this is the least helpful post actually.

"Guaranteed to keep you dry". None of that claim comes with an asterisk. It means what it says.I know this because Klim tends to back up their claims with great service. I got wet riding in rain, you know the kind that falls from the sky and cars and trucks kick up all over the place. The kind of rain one would buy pants to keep them dry while riding a motor bike. As for speed....let's try the speed limit as it was rush hour, raining, and I have no death wish. Just a desire to stay dry. The bike is a 650 thumper. A top speed of maybe 90 downhill with a tailwind on dry pavement.
I am not duct taping a $300 pair of pants to stay dry. I chose the logical route of calling Klim and asking why my SECOND pair of pants leaks in the same area. Not pissing and moaning but rather asking a fair question and getting a warranty set up. This is after all why they have a customer service department and a great reputation.

Traverse pants with an Overland Jacket. I have found the coverage of the Overland to be far superior than the Traverse, plus the armor is included. Often when you sit the zipper can form a cup in your crotch. Add rain and you can get a puddle. Add vibration of a thumper engine and that puddle is going to seep into the weakest area, and that is the flap and zipper. This zipper would be better if it was the waterproof type used on my jacket. I mentioned this to Klim. Unfortunately, they stated they cannot add a zipper for me. I offered to pay and it became apparent they do not manufacture much stateside. Not sure how they prototype, but I was not going to pester the customer service rep. I just asked and offered my .02

They make great gear. I like it for much more than " looking the part". Aside from this leak issue I have found their gear to fit me very well and be durable to my dirt naps. I trust it will suit me better than a pair of jeans should I ever have to lay it down on pavement. I commute 40 miles one way every day for work. I prefer to ride my bike. Maybe when snow flies I will send the pants back, I am sure Klim will stand by the product, they have in the past. Until then I am not jumping in my cage and I am continuing to ride the pants everyday. Staying mostly dry.
jjmead1 is offline   Reply With Quote