Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-29-2013, 01:29 PM   #211
EvanADV OP
Big Bearded Boy

Oddometer: 1,337
Tempe, AZ to Las Cruces, NM
July 28, 2010

The next stretch of the trip was interesting for me. I didn’t have many solid contacts between here and home. One in Dallas, one in Sikeston, MO, and one in Nashville, TN. That left a lot of gaps.

The gap I was facing now was between here (Tempe, AZ) and Dallas, which was over 1000 miles. At this point 400 miles was about all I could comfortably do in a day. I was prepared to camp, or at least I thought I was, having brought along a thermarest pad and a small tent. I had discovered the Tent Space map and noticed an inmate, barko1, located in Las Cruces, NM, right along my route to Dallas. I reached out to him and he generously offered up his spare bedroom.

After my night in Tempe at my friend’s apartment I headed west the next morning toward Las Cruces. The ride was fairly uneventful I remember stopping for gas in Bylas, AZ and noticing it was almost all Native Americans, Navajo or similar I guess. That’s something I never expected to encounter, not sure why I never thought of it. They were all nice people and seemed interested in me and the bike just like any other people group I’d encountered.

https://www.google.com/maps/preview#...3.1!17b1&fid=7

It was very hot, and I enjoyed a powerade at a table inside the air conditioned gas station. Filled up my camelback with ice and water and got back on the road.

I remember as I approached Las Cruces it suddenly turned green – from the Rio Grande I assume, as well as plenty of irrigation for the development around the city. If you look at the satellite imagery it’s very obvious. I didn’t even know I was crossing the Rio Grande at the time, but Jon aka barko1 mentioned it later when I commented on the greenery. Strange how hundreds of miles of desert will make a little bit of green be a landmark event for the day.

I arrived at Jon’s house without any trouble, google maps powered Droid got me there without a hitch as usual. He was there to greet me and motioned for me to pull into his garage. I noticed several bikes immediately, a DR650 and an FJR are the only two I rememeber specifically. I’ve owned both since then. Guess he made an impression.

We introduced ourselves and got to talking about bikes. He told me all about his purple framed DR650 and offered to let me take it for a spin. I obliged. First time I’d ridden a dirtbike since my 98 XR100 as a kid. I loved the seating position and the gruntiness of the engine. It felt light and flickable, like I could go anywhere. Maybe it had something to do with the thousands of mile I’d recently spent on my fully loaded Bandit, but my interest was sparked, that’s for sure.
I noticed the popup camper on his F-250 and asked him about it. He and his daughter did a lot of travelling in it together. That’s the first thing I’d seen such a thing and my wheels were spinning about how my future wife and I could load up in something like that and head to Nicaragua. That’s the one thing I still haven’t done (yet) that Jon showed me.

He helped me fix a camera mount I had been using for my bike with one of his spare socket cap screws. I thought it was awesome he had a supply of metric screws around and decided that was something I’d invest in upon returning home.
I met his daughter, Kayla, who was close in age to me, and brought my stuff inside. Kayla was an animal lover, like my wife, and told me all about her animals. She had some serious pain issues, I remember, but still rode occasionally on a four wheeler. After a while Jon asked if I’d be interested in grabbing some Mexican food, and we went on our way. He took me to one of his favorite spots in town and we had tamales, a first for me. They ask if you want red or green (sauce), and I chose red. They were wonderful, and I’ve since ordered tamales often but they’ve never been quite as good. Jon insisted on paying the check.

We talked quite a bit through dinner and the rest of the evening. Jon was a psycholoest in counseling at New Mexico State University. He’d been on ADV for quite some time. Had recently went to Australia and borrowed a DR650 to ride around for a week or two. Jammin Jay of “Jammin Through The Global South” had stayed with him just a few weeks before.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=556240
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...8&postcount=63

I enjoyed my time there and talking to Jon. He was encouraging and seemed to have a better understanding of what I was doing than most people I encountered. It was good to be in good company.

Back home I got a great night’s sleep in a room all to myself. Can’t ask for much better than that.
First Trip on 2 Wheels. 10,000 miles. 21 years old.
NC to Maine for Lobster Dinner

EvanADV screwed with this post 08-29-2013 at 01:35 PM
EvanADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 03:14 PM   #212
riverbound51
The new guy here

Oddometer: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by docwyte View Post
I've done the heat a paper clip deal for a fingernail and if you're alone, it's hard to get the paper clip hot enough to pierce the nail. However, it is easy to get the paper clip hot enough to cause you much pain and distress.

Being a dentist, when this happens to me I go to my office, grab a drill and use it to drill a hole in my nail. It's completely painless, incredibly quick and makes relieving the pressure very, very easy.

You gotta go with what you have available tho...

Done the drill bit a few times over the years. Nothing to it. And it's not like when the red hot nail, paper clip, etc hits that wound. You have more control with the drill bit.

Nice Ride report. Very interesting. You have a talent for making each day interesting to the reader. Subscribed and thanks for sharing.

riverbound51 screwed with this post 08-29-2013 at 03:17 PM Reason: .
riverbound51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 01:42 PM   #213
EvanADV OP
Big Bearded Boy

Found this pic of me and my little sis riding in Vegas.

And the wife and I at Hard Rock in Vegas, sis in background on left.

Anybody still reading? My wife's grandma (Maw Maw) passed away this afternoon and I have a feeling I may be a little preoccupied with that for the week. Maybe more to come the following week. I have a habit of not finishing things I start. This will not be one of them.

EvanADV screwed with this post 09-04-2013 at 06:27 PM
Old 09-04-2013, 03:52 AM   #214
Rutabaga
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 729
Family first. We will keep.
Rutabaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 11:36 AM   #215
Snownut
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanADV View Post
San Francisco to Monterey, CA
July 12, 2012

My pelican case had fallen off and the bar end mirror had broken off. That was all that was immediately apparent.
I've been reading (and enjoying) your RR and am very familiar with the Western US areas you are posting pictures of. I was riding the North West Coast in June and love it there. Wyoming, Montana and Idaho are some of my regular riding areas. Isn't Yellowstone Lake Lodge beautiful? So many people are intent on staying at Old Faithful Lodge but I think the lake lodge is much more peaceful. Your photos are making me itch for some fall rides.. :)

Just out of curiosity did your latch break that holds your pelican case to your rack? I have the same setup on two bikes and although the pelicans help save the bike from damage I have broken two of those latches. I always take a spare with me just in case. Something I am a firm believer in as well is Bark Busters, they would have saved your brake lever in a tip over and they are good protection in wind and storm.
Snownut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 11:44 AM   #216
EvanADV OP
Big Bearded Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snownut View Post
I've been reading (and enjoying) your RR and am very familiar with the Western US areas you are posting pictures of. I was riding the North West Coast in June and love it there. Wyoming, Montana and Idaho are some of my regular riding areas. Isn't Yellowstone Lake Lodge beautiful? So many people are intent on staying at Old Faithful Lodge but I think the lake lodge is much more peaceful. Your photos are making me itch for some fall rides.. :)

Just out of curiosity did your latch break that holds your pelican case to your rack? I have the same setup on two bikes and although the pelicans help save the bike from damage I have broken two of those latches. I always take a spare with me just in case. Something I am a firm believer in as well is Bark Busters, they would have saved your brake lever in a tip over and they are good protection in wind and storm.
Thanks for reading along. I thoroughly enjoyed Yellowstone, can't wait to get back there some day.

Yeah, the lock itself actually broke on the Pelican attachment. Designed that way, apparently. Didn't know about bark busters before this trip but have had them on many bikes since then!
Old 09-04-2013, 12:16 PM   #217
Snownut
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
Quote:
Thanks for reading along. I thoroughly enjoyed Yellowstone, can't wait to get back there some day.

Yeah, the lock itself actually broke on the Pelican attachment. Designed that way, apparently. Didn't know about bark busters before this trip but have had them on many bikes since then!
There is so much to see in the surrounding areas of Yellowstone, I particularly like the North East Corner of the park heading out towards Cooke City and Red Lodge. Vegas is much more fun on bike in December.. ;) There is a great group of riders in the Vegas area that are awesome hosts and tour guides. Looks like a great adventure that you won't soon forget!! Sorry about your loss though, as previously mentioned "family first"..

The last latch (pair) I ordered I mentioned that I felt it was a weak link in thier mounting system. I received the same "designed that way" answer.. I told him that great design put me in the hospital. It was a drop that should have only knocked the wind out of me, I didn't get much response.. I have been toying with adding a locking mechanism that won't let the case come off the rack if something happens like that again on a long trip. But I wouldn't be caught without a spare latch at this point.. Did the bottom pop off?

Snownut screwed with this post 09-04-2013 at 12:45 PM
Snownut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 06:30 PM   #218
EvanADV OP
Big Bearded Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snownut View Post
There is so much to see in the surrounding areas of Yellowstone, I particularly like the North East Corner of the park heading out towards Cooke City and Red Lodge. Vegas is much more fun on bike in December.. ;) There is a great group of riders in the Vegas area that are awesome hosts and tour guides. Looks like a great adventure that you won't soon forget!! Sorry about your loss though, as previously mentioned "family first"..

The last latch (pair) I ordered I mentioned that I felt it was a weak link in thier mounting system. I received the same "designed that way" answer.. I told him that great design put me in the hospital. It was a drop that should have only knocked the wind out of me, I didn't get much response.. I have been toying with adding a locking mechanism that won't let the case come off the rack if something happens like that again on a long trip. But I wouldn't be caught without a spare latch at this point.. Did the bottom pop off?
Yikes, mine just left me with a messed up fingernail, thankfully. No, bottom was just fine, literally all that broke was the "tongue" that turns with the key to lock the case on at the top of the bracket.
Old 09-04-2013, 10:11 PM   #219
LittlePosum
Scrappy Marsupial

Oddometer: 309
Quote:
I hadnt fully prepared myself for what a big deal it would be to see the Redwoods. Id grew up playing in the forest everyday as a child. Id seen miles and miles of forest back home in NC. Sure, I knew this would be different, the trees would be much larger, but essentially the same.

Well, that was about as far from what I experienced as possible.

Its hard to describe what its like to ride through the Redwoods for the first time, never having seen anything like it before. It is one of very few natural things Ive seen that has made me so feel incredibly small. These Sequoia trees are as big around as a car, and several hundred feet tall. I felt like I was in an optical illusion at first, as if Id been transformed into a microscopic version of myself causing the trees to look so huge. It would not surprise me at all if people had literally worshipped these and thought of them as beings, because they are very god-like.
My dad drove my brother and I down there for the first time when I was five years old. WOW big trees indeed! We bought a tiny little sapling that was inside of a test tube to take home and plant in the back yard (western Oregon). Now that Sequoia is taller than any other tree or structure on the block. I'm guessing about 50 feet tall and growing. The Redwoods are beautiful and special place in the world for sure.

I'm glad your sneeze induced get off did not result in more damage to you or the bike!
Old 09-05-2013, 04:03 AM   #220
XCRider803
Loftin' the wheel

Oddometer: 814
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittlePosum View Post
My dad drove my brother and I down there for the first time when I was five years old. WOW big trees indeed! We bought a tiny little sapling that was inside of a test tube to take home and plant in the back yard (western Oregon). Now that Sequoia is taller than any other tree or structure on the block. I'm guessing about 50 feet tall and growing. The Redwoods are beautiful and special place in the world for sure.

I'm glad your sneeze induced get off did not result in more damage to you or the bike!

Funny, after you mentioned it I remember getting one of those test tube saplings. Sadly, mine is long lost...
XCRider803 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 01:11 PM   #221
Eagletalon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 383
We will be waiting patiently. Family has always come first in my book

Later
John
Eagletalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 06:09 AM   #222
slowpoke69
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 494
Great RR!

Lovin' the RR, sorry for your loss.

I'm enjoying this more than I thought I would, glad to know you got back ok.

Congrats on the nuptuals!
slowpoke69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 07:56 AM   #223
EvanADV OP
Big Bearded Boy

Thanks for hangin' in there with me folks. Back at it and trying to wrap this up.
Old 10-04-2013, 08:37 AM   #224
ShadowMan
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
Quote:
Later, at an Iowa gas station, I ran into this big yellow van full of college students. They were apparently big sports fans. Very cool van. Couldn't help but cheer me up to see something like that.

I caught a few pictures of it on the interstate, with my remote triggered camera, when I eventually caught back up with them.

This is the first time I've ever commented on a ride report, but yours is different. It's refreshing to see a Christian who isn't afraid of mentioning God and the things he sent to cheer you up at a low point in your trip, like the fighter jet, the bright yellow Iowa Hawkeyes tailgate bus and the Christian couple. Being from Iowa, I'm a Hawkeyes fan and its funny to see something like that show up in a ride report.
Congrats on getting married, and to a beautiful girl at that.
Looking forward to the rest of the trip.
ShadowMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 05:39 PM   #225
JoeyBones
Encouraging Entropy

Oddometer: 1,380
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardwaregrrl View Post
Hey Evan....next time you need rain gear stop at a HD shop. XL is usually the smallest size most of them carry, no joke. And they're rain suits are very nice.
Excellent advice!
One State left to ride: Hawaii. IBA #48773.
Check out my Motorcycle Courier Adventures or the Charlotte Ride Planning & 3rd Thursday Pizza-Meet

"I picked up a nice burlap thong. It makes me feel pretty." - BluRidgeRider
JoeyBones is offline   Reply With Quote