ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-06-2013, 11:49 AM   #16
selaznog
Avoiding pavement

Oddometer: 2,607
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoco View Post
One of the loops I mapped took me south on 47, then east through Isleta tribal roads, then meeting up with 337.
If you end up trying that route, please report back. I've looked at it several times but haven't made it out there to try.
selaznog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 12:13 PM   #17
krishl
n11b (upgraded!)

Oddometer: 78
There is no road through the Manzanos west-to-east (or vice versa). But, if you ride south to US 60 and then east towards Mountainair, there is a left turn onto Priest Canyon Road a few miles west of the Abo Ruins site (which you should also visit). That road starts as fairly washboardy gravel as it goes through open range ranchland, then it enters the National Forest. Here's what it looks like about halfway between US 60 and the Manzanos.

The road continues and then turns east and comes out on NM 55 in Manzano, near the Manzano Mountain State Park (which is closed). I think the whole unpaved route is about 35 miles. If you enjoyed visiting Abo, then you'll really enjoy visiting the Quarai Ruins site, which is a few miles south on NM 55.

If you then go left (north) on NM 55 and go about a half a mile, you'll come to another forest road that goes to the top of Capilla Peak. It's about 9 miles and dead ends at 9200 ft, near a fire tower, a campground, and an observatory. Good ride. Great views. I highly recommend the ~1mile hike on Gavilan Trail out to the Hawkwatch site. More info

When you get back to NM 55, turn left and continue several miles to to the town of Torreon. Take a left on A008 and then an immediate right on A009 and you should be on the Tajique Torreon Loop. This road is about 17 miles with the first several miles being well maintained gravel road and middle several miles being little maintained primitive road (not recommended if it's been raining, unless you like mud), and the last several miles being well maintained. You'll pass 4th of July Canyon, and there's an excellent hike to do there.

When you get back to NM 55 in Tajique, you turn left, go through town and around a 90 degree bend, then take a left on A015 (gravel), which will eventually get you to 337, which you can take north to Tijeras. West on Old Route 66 there will get you back to the east end of Central Ave in ABQ.
Old 09-06-2013, 12:28 PM   #18
shoco OP
Not So Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 467
Quote:
Originally Posted by krishl View Post
There is no road through the Manzanos west-to-east (or vice versa). But, if you ride south to US 60 and then east towards Mountainair, there is a left turn onto Priest Canyon Road a few miles west of the Abo Ruins site (which you should also visit). That road starts as fairly washboardy gravel as it goes through open range ranchland, then it enters the National Forest. Here's what it looks like about halfway between US 60 and the Manzanos.

The road continues and then turns east and comes out on NM 55 in Manzano, near the Manzano Mountain State Park (which is closed). I think the whole unpaved route is about 35 miles. If you enjoyed visiting Abo, then you'll really enjoy visiting the Quarai Ruins site, which is a few miles south on NM 55.

If you then go left (north) on NM 55 and go about a half a mile, you'll come to another forest road that goes to the top of Capilla Peak. It's about 9 miles and dead ends at 9200 ft, near a fire tower, a campground, and an observatory. Good ride. Great views. I highly recommend the ~1mile hike on Gavilan Trail out to the Hawkwatch site. More info

When you get back to NM 55, turn left and continue several miles to to the town of Torreon. Take a left on A008 and then an immediate right on A009 and you should be on the Tajique Torreon Loop. This road is about 17 miles with the first several miles being well maintained gravel road and middle several miles being little maintained primitive road (not recommended if it's been raining, unless you like mud), and the last several miles being well maintained. You'll pass 4th of July Canyon, and there's an excellent hike to do there.

When you get back to NM 55 in Tajique, you turn left, go through town and around a 90 degree bend, then take a left on A015 (gravel), which will eventually get you to 337, which you can take north to Tijeras. West on Old Route 66 there will get you back to the east end of Central Ave in ABQ.
This ride sounds fantastic, and exactly what I'm looking for. I don't see Priest Canyon Road on the map, but I'll figure it all out. Thanks!
shoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 12:43 PM   #19
krishl
n11b (upgraded!)

Google maps doesn't show the road going through, but it does. This map shows where it starts on US 60. The Abo Ruins site is a bit east of that forest road. You might also enjoy riding on into Mountainair and visiting the Shaffer Hotel, or having breakfast or lunch at Alpine Alley (on NM 55 just north of US 60). There is a gas station in Mountainair too.

This map shows the forest road coming out of the Manzanos past Manzano Mt SP to the town of Manzano.

This map shows how to get from Manzano to the Quarai Ruins.

This one shows the forest road up Capilla Peak.

This map shows Tajique Torreon Loop.
Old 09-06-2013, 01:08 PM   #20
shoco OP
Not So Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Google maps doesn't show the road going through, but it does. This map shows where it starts on US 60. The Abo Ruins site is a bit east of that forest road. You might also enjoy riding on into Mountainair and visiting the Shaffer Hotel, or having breakfast or lunch at Alpine Alley (on NM 55 just north of US 60). There is a gas station in Mountainair too.

This map shows the forest road coming out of the Manzanos past Manzano Mt SP to the town of Manzano.

You're awesome. Thanks.
Old 09-06-2013, 02:09 PM   #21
Kitteh
Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNC View Post
Well that's some sorry BS...and not saying that to claim your info isn't correct. If their signage and/or lack of gates is that bad, latching on to someone and their vehicle almost sounds like a criminal enterprise on the part of those authorities. While I understand the principal of Indian land and a level of autonomy, this ain't Mexico. Maybe it's time for another cowboys and indians scenario.
It would be completely impossible out here to have signs at every road... There are such huge networks of roads in the gas fields, and checkerboards of tribal and private property.

You are also completely responsible to know if you are riding/hunting/whatever on private property or not, so it's not really so different in that respect.

My friend got hassled while riding a horse in a bar ditch beside a road - the county road is "US Property", but the Utes lay claim to the bar ditch. I think he would have taken her horse away and made her walk home if he'd had a trailer. :)

I also agree about being careful during hunting season, and be aware that tribal land is usually heavily patrolled during hunting season.

BTW, OP, y'outta come up North and ride in Farmington or Durango with some of us.

"I want to stand as close to the edge as I can without going over. Out on the edge you see all kinds of things you can't see from the center." - Vonnegut
Kitteh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 02:25 PM   #22
TNC
Candyass Camper

Oddometer: 4,443
Quote:

I spent a day and night in that Manzano mountains area last year coming back from CO in August. It's really quite beautiful and extremely uncrowded. There are quite a few back roads in this area that meander all around in that section of national forest. The only people I ran into were a few backcountry wood cutters getting ready for winter. It was kind of neat.
TNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 02:32 PM   #23
selaznog
Avoiding pavement

Oddometer: 2,607
Quote:
There is no road through the Manzanos west-to-east (or vice versa).
Have you tried Indian Service route 60? It is clearly on maps and visible from Google Earth. Are there locked gates?
selaznog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 03:29 PM   #24
TNC
Candyass Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by selaznog View Post
Have you tried Indian Service route 60? It is clearly on maps and visible from Google Earth. Are there locked gates?
Though I didn't go completely to the end of it, I recall seeing a sign on forest road 422 in the forest that showed it running to hwy 60 to the south as suggested by krishl. I see only one trail/road running to and through the west end of the forest called Grand Enchantment Trail, but on GE it looks like there might be a fence/gate at the border of Indian land.
Old 09-06-2013, 03:41 PM   #25
wbbnm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,787
Old timers (older than me) say they used to get permission from the Isleta governor to ride it. I suspect this ended around 1970.

You can get to the east end of the Isleta road as an offshoot of the forest road that runs parallel to and north of the Tajique road into 4th of July canyon. Guys I ride with say there is a locked gate and No Trespassing signs at that end. My Garmin maps say it is FR 321.

BTW this is a great primitive road, far more fun than the Tajique road.

When I first moved here in 1969 we used to take a road over the mountains at the southern end of Kirtland or Sandia base as it was known then. It came out just off Raven road about where you can get at some of the Otero canyon trails.

We did this up until maybe 1974 when they closed it.

I worked for Sandia and we used the west part of the road for a project we were working on. Which was how I found out about it.

wbbnm screwed with this post 09-06-2013 at 03:46 PM
wbbnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 03:47 PM   #26
krishl
n11b (upgraded!)

Quote:
I spent a day and night in that Manzano mountains area last year coming back from CO in August. It's really quite beautiful and extremely uncrowded. There are quite a few back roads in this area that meander all around in that section of national forest. The only people I ran into were a few backcountry wood cutters getting ready for winter. It was kind of neat.
Hiking in the Manzanos is a really lonely business. Much more likely to see a bear or bobcat than a person. There are also cougars and bighorn sheep, in addition to the more mundane elk and mulies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by selaznog View Post
I have tried from the east side (Escobosa) and found a locked gate with hiking access only.

Quote:
... I see only one trail/road running to and through the west end of the forest called Grand Enchantment Trail, but on GE it looks like there might be a fence/gate at the border of Indian land.
The Grand Enchantment Trail is a long-distance hiking trail, from Albuquerque to Phoenix by way of Sandias, Manzanos, Magdalenas, San Mateos, Gila, and ....
Old 09-06-2013, 03:49 PM   #27
krishl
n11b (upgraded!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbbnm View Post
You can get to the east end of the Isleta road as an offshoot of the forest road that runs parallel to and north of the Tajique road into 4th of July canyon. Guys I ride with say there is a locked gate and No Trespassing signs at that end. My Garmin maps say it is FR 321.

BTW this is a great primitive road, far more fun than the Tajique road.

I will have to check that out. I have explored some of the jeep trails off of the Tajique road, but not all of them.
Old 09-06-2013, 07:54 PM   #28
TNC
Candyass Camper

krishl, that Grand Enchantment trail on GE is a road from what I can see. Of course, not saying that one can't hike on it, just saying it really looks like an established, well used, 2-track road. Check it out on GE and see what you think. Still looks like a possible fence/gate at the Indian border, however. I can't recall if I went on this road or not in my meanderings there last year. Since the whole forest section there isn't that vast, I wasn't too concerned about getting lost and didn't have a good map of this area.

On your comment about wildlife there, a forest service guy came by in the evening just poking around, and we talked a bit. He said to be on the lookout for a big cinnamon colored brown bear that was hanging out in that campground regularly. At some point during the night...in my van...I heard some big time clanging on one of the large, bear-proof, campground trash cans that probably couldn't have been anything but a bear. There wasn't another soul staying in the campground. Kind of glad I was in the van.
Old 09-07-2013, 01:46 PM   #29
shoco OP
Not So Gnarly Adventurer

Nice Ride

Just thought I'd report back on my ride. Got finished a little while ago. 201 miles total.

A BIG thank you to Krishl for the road suggestions. It was exactly what I was looking for.

Click Here for a map of the route.

Here are some photos:

Old 09-07-2013, 02:33 PM   #30
TNC
Candyass Camper

Very nice. That Red Canyon campground is a very nice spot. It's amazing how that section of forest and mountains is pretty much sitting out there on its own. It reminds me a bit of the Chisos Mountains in Big Bend NP...somewhat out of place. You didn't get run over by bunches of tourists there did you?