User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-06-2013, 11:40 AM   #1
Chiriqui Charlie OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 300
How can I get quality parts?

I hear a lot of advice on avoiding shitty Chinese parts, but how do I avoid it? I am in western Panama, about half way between Panama City and San Jose, CR.
I have a Yamaha XT250. When I needed brake shoes, the local Yamaha dealer quoted me $110 for a set. I found Chinese ones for $12. I needed a battery, the local Yamaha dealer quoted me $238!! I got a Chinese one for $35. The local Yamaha dealer wants $15 for an oil filter, Chinese ones about $5.
I don't mind going Chinese for these kinds of parts, put what about when I need critical things, like chain and sprockets, or bearings? Is there any answer other tan buying over the 'net and paying shipping and customs??
Chiriqui Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 04:01 PM   #2
TeeVee
His mudda was a mudda!

Oddometer: 728
not in latin america. maybe ask folks coming into the country to bring stuff for you. aside from that, you're gonna be stuck paying hideously inflated prices for everything.

what amazes me the most is this: take that $12 set of chino pads. assuming that import duties applied to them as well, and given the cost of shipping from china to central america, profit etc, the manufacturer must be selling those pads for about $1.00

p.s. you are paying customs duties on all those things anyway
TeeVee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 04:02 PM   #3
Two Moto Kiwis
Homeless Somewhere

Oddometer: 3,392
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiriqui Charlie View Post
I hear a lot of advice on avoiding shitty Chinese parts, but how do I avoid it? I am in western Panama, about half way between Panama City and San Jose, CR.
I have a Yamaha XT250. When I needed brake shoes, the local Yamaha dealer quoted me $110 for a set. I found Chinese ones for $12. I needed a battery, the local Yamaha dealer quoted me $238!! I got a Chinese one for $35. The local Yamaha dealer wants $15 for an oil filter, Chinese ones about $5.
I don't mind going Chinese for these kinds of parts, put what about when I need critical things, like chain and sprockets, or bearings? Is there any answer other tan buying over the 'net and paying shipping and customs??
I would just run with the cheaper consumables knowing you can buy 3, 4 or 5 of them and still break even, critical stuff I would say stump for that.
....Where The Hell Are We .. Spot Us
Two Moto Kiwis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 06:24 PM   #4
Chiriqui Charlie OP
Gnarly Adventurer

That's ind of what I thought, but I was hoping that somebody knew about a fantastic shop that stocked quality. I'm used to paying inflated prices, (but $238 dollars for a battery is rediculous) but that would be better than ordering to be shipped. My main concern with cheap parts is getting stranded in the middle of nowhere, or something like a chain break causing an accident.

Chiriqui Charlie screwed with this post 09-06-2013 at 06:31 PM
Old 09-07-2013, 07:50 AM   #5
TeeVee
His mudda was a mudda!

Oddometer: 728
i have no moto-related experience in panama city, but ive heard that you can get just about anything there. have you tried looking there? may be cheaper to make a run there. given CR's high import tariffs i suspect panama might be cheaper. don't know though.
TeeVee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 08:14 AM   #6
Chiriqui Charlie OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I ave only been in Panama City a couple of times looking for MC accessories, not parts, so I am not familiar with the local situation. And unless I have a specific need, I am not likely to make the trip., a very boring ride and lots of traffic. I am hopeing that somebody who is familiar chimes in with specific places to check.
Old 09-07-2013, 08:14 AM   #7
bike-nicaragua
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
Hola,

In Costa Rica you will find "good" spare parts. You will find brake-pads from SBS or EBC in good quality. They cost around 35 US $ a set.
The cheap chinese ones for my Hondas can you buy here in Nicaragua for only 4 $ !!! or original Honda for 85 $, for example.

Chain and sprockets they sell as well from "Japanese brands" cheaper than the "original ones" or look if you will find original japanes D.I.D. chains outside from Yamaha-stores.

I bought my stuff in Costa Rica not in Nicaragua. In the bigger cities, even small towns they sell a big range of stuff.

If you come to Nicaragua and to León drop me a message.

saludos Jürgen
bike-nicaragua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 03:38 PM   #8
Chiriqui Charlie OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I'll take you up on that! I've only been to Nica once, spent a couple days on the beach at SJDS, a couple in Granada, and a short visit to Matagalpa. I will make another trip next dry season, I want to see more of the country, especially Leon! How difficult is it to cross into Honduras, is it worth it?
Old 09-07-2013, 04:09 PM   #9
bike-nicaragua
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
Hola,
it's rather easy to go to Honduras as long you pay at the border

If it's worth to visit - that depends on you. For me Nicaragua is much more interesting and as well safer than the northern neigbour countries.

saludos Jürgen
bike-nicaragua is offline   Reply With Quote