ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-15-2013, 09:32 PM   #106
eakins OP
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 16,691
Thanks for all the updates Chris.

In case anyone has not figured out, Chris S is:
http://adventure-motorcyclingh.com/
His book is THE bible on ADV touring!

... you might even my 2c on page 299
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Facebook - please come follow us:
https://www.facebook.com/butlermaps
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 01:45 PM   #107
eakins OP
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 16,691
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
hey all you BDR fans, we're scouting the AZBDR
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=885414

All done & it was epic!

Here's your next spring ride while the snow is still melting in the high-country.

This route will also work well in the fall for a 3 week ADV tour
-up the COBDR
-west and down the UTBDR
-down the AZBDR
- ... on to Mexico, Baja and Panama for the winter

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Facebook - please come follow us:
https://www.facebook.com/butlermaps
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 05:43 PM   #108
skippyjon
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Where to ship bike near start of route?

Hey guys,

We're looking at doing the UTBDR. However, we're from Seattle so we'd like to ship our bikes to near the start of the route (Southern end) - at a town we could fly into. Any suggestions for the nearest town?

I'm thinking we could arrange to ship our bikes to a moto dealer, fly into town and pick them up. Vegas is easy to fly into, but we don't want to burn up new TKC 80's on 6 hours of pavement before we even start the ride.

After we hit the Northern end of the ride we would just ride all the way home.

Thanks,

Darren
skippyjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 06:24 PM   #109
BrassAss
Lost, but not forgotten

Oddometer: 182
Fly in

Quote:
Originally Posted by skippyjon View Post
Hey guys,

We're looking at doing the UTBDR. However, we're from Seattle so we'd like to ship our bikes to near the start of the route (Southern end) - at a town we could fly into. Any suggestions for the nearest town?

I'm thinking we could arrange to ship our bikes to a moto dealer, fly into town and pick them up. Vegas is easy to fly into, but we don't want to burn up new TKC 80's on 6 hours of pavement before we even start the ride.

Thanks,

Darren
Darren,
There are no good choices for what you are wanting to do. Your only choices are, Las Vegas, Salt Lake City, Phoenix for big cities with cheaper tickets. You could fly into Grand Junction CO or Durango or Flagstaff AZ but that will take you all day and will be very expensive. I would do Salt Lake and ride down through the central part if the state, which would be a great ride. No matter what, you're going to put a little wear on the tires. Have a great time on the trip!

Rob
www.backcoutrydiscoveryroutes.com
www.butlermotorcyclemaps.com
BrassAss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 12:42 AM   #110
Britome
Get Free

Oddometer: 978
Quote:
Hey guys,

Thanks,

Darren
We did Cortez CO from Cincy and it worked well. Flights weren't a problem. We had about a 3 hr ride to pick up the dirt section if the trail.
Britome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 07:20 PM   #111
gsxr1k
n00b

Oddometer: 9
should we go on?

myself and 4 other bikes are in Provo after a glue type mud related break downs on long ridge today. We are heading north and have been surprised on the difficulty of this one. We have suffered multiple breaks along the way and are considering giving up Could anyone tell us the condition of the roads north in section 4.5, 5 and 6? Packed gravel ahead or more dirt that turns into impassable glue when wet? We are riding a BMW gs800, KTM 950, 990R, triumph tiger and Buell Ulysses. We have to decide tonight

Thx
gsxr1k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 07:29 PM   #112
BrassAss
Lost, but not forgotten

Mud and mess

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsxr1k View Post
myself and 4 other bikes are in Provo after a glue type mud related break downs on long ridge today. We are heading north and have been surprised on the difficulty of this one. We have suffered multiple breaks along the way and are considering giving up Could anyone tell us the condition of the roads north in section 4.5, 5 and 6? Packed gravel ahead or more dirt that turns into impassable glue when wet? We are riding a BMW gs800, KTM 950, 990R, triumph tiger and Buell Ulysses. We have to decide tonight

Thx
Guys if there is rain in the area then the rest of the route will be impassable. Not all of it will but enough, that will not make it much fun or even doable. That's an issue with the clay soils in Utah.
Rob
Old 09-05-2013, 08:57 PM   #113
gsxr1k
n00b

Thanks Rob for confirming that for us. We learned the hard way today. It takes some of the sting of failure out knowing that. Coming from Oregon we aren't used to getting beat by the rain. It was still an adventure :)
Old 09-05-2013, 09:26 PM   #114
gsxr1k
n00b

Thanks Rob for confirming that for us. We learned the hard way today. It takes some of the sting of failure out knowing that. Coming from Oregon we aren't used to getting beat by the rain. It was still an adventure :)
Old 09-06-2013, 07:25 PM   #115
BrassAss
Lost, but not forgotten

Quote:
Yes, it will be an adventure you can talk about for years and remember for years. I find I remember the tough parts a lot longer then the easy parts.
Old 09-07-2013, 04:36 PM   #116
Oh2RideMore
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,261
Silt took me out in section 1 today. Made it through the marked section then dumped soon after. Killed my GPS and scratched up bike good. That sand silt is no joke.

sent from my perfectly sized do it all galaxy note
Old 09-07-2013, 07:24 PM   #117
cidi
cidi

Oddometer: 12
Wicked

All.
We just finished the UTBDR and northern part of COBDR. We started from Denver on the evening of the 28th and rode to Mexican Hat via some of the Cobdr sections. We started the UTBDR on the 30th. Lots of washed out sections south of I70. As of sept 1 Onion creek was closed from the highway 128 side ( there was no sign about the closure when coming from the south as we did.) We were able to make it through by riding the river bed for 1/4mi. Coming of the LaSalle mountain pass the road is very washed out. Locals told us it is the worst they have seen in many years.
If it rains north of 70 the mud will be impassable. We followed several storms and had some muddy trails but never got stuck. .
Also be aware that the butler map is missing some crucial detail on several intersections and the route / trail numbers do not match what is actually posted on the trails. The GPS tracks are needed.... We did not have them and got lost several times. However it does make for a bigger adventure.
Old 09-07-2013, 07:28 PM   #118
cidi
cidi

Quote:
I think we saw you guys near nine mile ranch. We were headed north on the paved section, outrunning a big storm out of Evanston. Bright yellow helmet black suit on a GS1150 and a F650 GS.
Sorry that you had to abandon.
Old 09-07-2013, 07:35 PM   #119
cidi
cidi

Quote:
Hey guys,

Thanks,

Darren
Darren, don't worry about the six hr drive on the tkc80s. We just finished the BDR and rode from Denver see earlier post. 2500miles in total and the tkc are still holding up fine. I'm on a GS1150...
Old 09-09-2013, 11:00 AM   #120
Chase the Lion
Jeff

Oddometer: 15
Two-up on the trail - section 11

My wife and I have being doing the route. We blew the front brake line in block three west of Monticello and detoured two days to Grand Junction for a new line for my GS1150. Picked up the trail again last thursday in section 4. Got caught in rain and mud Friday night in block 10 SE of Strawberry Lake. Story and pics here. https://www.facebook.com/ChasetheLion . look for album titled "muddy if wet".

Resting for two days at a B&B near Kamas and hope to pick up block 12 and north starting tomorrow. Hoping it is a good drying day today.

FYI: If you miss the turn on the ridge in block 10 and take long trail ridge...it parallels the gps tracks, but then turns in to fourwheeler track. We went for miles...awesome views high on the ridge. Was probably within a quarter mile of getting back on the track util fallen trees stopped the trail. Terrain to rough to go around. Trail ended. Back up the trail and to the ridge (probably 8 miles or so). Great views and some neat camping if you are looking for a diversion off the track.
Chase the Lion is offline   Reply With Quote