ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-07-2013, 01:45 PM   #14236
russbryant OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drizzt View Post
Being a poor HS student, I found that layers are they key. I found one of the most important layers is a long sleeve Under Armour shirt (the tight kind). Then various layers of light cold weather gear depending on how cold. Then a riding jacket, then the second most important, the windbreaker. I found without either the windbreaker or Under Armour I was freezing no matter how many other layers I had. The windbreaker keeps the cold out, Under Armour keeps the heat in. Same concept with gloves, I had some of those small cotton gloves, as well as big poofy winter gloves.
I agree with Drizzt, long sleeve UA type moisture wicking base layer, wind breaker outer layer and then layer as needed in between. Will let you ride down in the low 30's and even the 20's for a while.

Russ
russbryant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 03:53 PM   #14237
mntdawg
NOT FRAGILE OR GREEN

Oddometer: 935
Mitts

Last winter I used these handlebar mitts. One more layer and cheap.

Old 09-07-2013, 05:16 PM   #14238
MotorcycleWriter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,014
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedySteve View Post
Heya Mate -

I just posted a jacket for sale. BMW makes top notch gear. They are known for their NP (orange in color) armor. Similar to D30 and other armor with non-Newtonian properties. The armor is very extensive in BMW gear, which is why I have a whole gammat of BMW gear. Armor is my #1 reason for buying gear - haha I've been down too many times to wear small floppy armor.

Anyways, This would make for an excellent jacket in the winter using the soft liner. I'd keep up, but I just have too many other jackets.

Check it out! Come on over and try it on!

Cheers,

Steedy

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=917842
Looks perfect for me. I'm an exact BMW50. Haggle on price???
MotorcycleWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 01:41 AM   #14239
erbemone
Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiSig1071 View Post
This may be a little premature but what do most of you use for winter riding gear? This will be my first winter with the DRZ and I am looking forward to some rides where I'm not sweating gallons, but I don't want to freeze. I wear a Koerta for protection, and I was thinking about something like the ARC Back Country/ MSR Trans/Fly Patrol jacket, and maybe adding some kind of fleece pullover under it (over the Koerta) if it gets really cold. It's either that or some kind of 3/4 length jacket, like a Kilimanjaro or similar.

As for pants, I am debating over the Bilt Explorer Air pants (Which are mesh, but have a waterproof liner, and a quilted liner) or an overpant of some kind, like the ARC Back Country pants (I wear Tech 3's and knee guards, so armor in the pants is not important).

The Bilt is a nice all-season pant, if they hold up and the quality is even halfway decent. I have a friend who commutes daily on a KLR (from Continental Ranch to Three Points, he's a fireman) and he has the Bilt Explorer Air jacket, and he loves it.

The ARC Back Country pant is slightly less expensive, but it's a waterproof pant with relatively limited venting. I would need to buy dedicated summer mesh pants in addition to these in order to get the versatility of the Explorer Air.

So, what do you have for winter kit?
Tee shirt and flip flops of course.

Bemer
erbemone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 11:46 AM   #14240
HoosierTrailmaster
Just an Old Grizzly

Oddometer: 2,512
Can anyone think of a better place to post potty humor than Tucson ADV?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...Lnhuzh9uY#t=66
Old 09-12-2013, 01:36 AM   #14241
rpage11
Skip

Oddometer: 487
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierTrailmaster View Post
Can anyone think of a better place to post potty humor than Tucson ADV?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...Lnhuzh9uY#t=66
prairie dogging, now that's a new term that made beer come out my nose
Old 09-12-2013, 02:30 AM   #14242
basstodave
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 119
Laugh Where to go in Tucson for repair on my Versys

I have a 2009 Versys and am looking for a good shop I can trust for routine repair and maintenance. I have had a terrible experience dealing with Ride Now and CSA in the recent and distant past.
I just had two new tires put on at On Any Moto and once again left in bewilderment as another Tucson shop implodes. I had a 20 minute phone conversation with a guy there named Bill. I paid over the phone for two new Michelin tires with Ride On sealant in both front and rear for a great price. We joked about the price. We become pals. They ordered the tires. I never got an email receipt. The tires come in they get installed and I look down at my receipt for two new Dunlop Sportmax Q3 tires without sealant. Bill has no idea what I'm talking about. What conversation about Michelin tires. He did offer to take them off. I'm sure the Dunlop tires will work fine for me and I decided to keep them but WTF? Oh yeah, Bill forgot to tell me about the $40 rebate on the Dunlops that expired August 31st. I paid in advance on August 23rd. Another added irony to the story.
The routine maintenance I had done earlier in the year and subsequent debacle at CSA was worse.
Any Tucson riders able to offer advice? I know I should have been much more business like and firmly asked for a receipt for my ordered tires after I gave a deposit. I don't have time nor talent to wrench my own bike. I can't really consider buying another bike because I don't trust anyone in Tucson. I'm not too crazy. Pretty reasonable and been driving for 45 years.

basstodave screwed with this post 09-12-2013 at 02:58 AM
basstodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 03:32 AM   #14243
PhiSig1071
What's ******width?

Oddometer: 2,309
Quote:
Originally Posted by basstodave View Post
I have a 2009 Versys and am looking for a good shop I can trust for routine repair and maintenance. I have had a terrible experience dealing with Ride Now and CSA in the recent and distant past.
I just had two new tires put on at On Any Moto and once again left in bewilderment as another Tucson shop implodes. I had a 20 minute phone conversation with a guy there named Bill. I paid over the phone for two new Michelin tires with Ride On sealant in both front and rear for a great price. We joked about the price. We become pals. They ordered the tires. I never got an email receipt. The tires come in they get installed and I look down at my receipt for two new Dunlop Sportmax Q3 tires without sealant. Bill has no idea what I'm talking about. What conversation about Michelin tires. He did offer to take them off. I'm sure the Dunlop tires will work fine for me and I decided to keep them but WTF? Oh yeah, Bill forgot to tell me about the $40 rebate on the Dunlops that expired August 31st. I paid in advance on August 23rd. Another added irony to the story.
The routine maintenance I had done earlier in the year and subsequent debacle at CSA was worse.
Any Tucson riders able to offer advice? I know I should have been much more business like and firmly asked for a receipt for my ordered tires after I gave a deposit. I don't have time nor talent to wrench my own bike. I can't really consider buying another bike because I don't trust anyone in Tucson. I'm not too crazy. Pretty reasonable and been driving for 45 years.
I have had a lot of good experiences with Z's Motorcycle Works in Tucson, south of Ajo by Kino hospital. Owned by Frank Z, he's a member here, he advertises motorcycle storage over in the vendors section, I think his SN is Zmotoman. http://www.zmwadventures.com/

I have also had a few members recommend a place called Motion Sports, it's off Ina near I-10, I can't personally vouch for them, but I have been told they're very good. http://www.motionsportstucson.com/

I understand your pain, I have ordered and paid for parts from Ride Now that I still haven't recieved. Thankfully they're nothing more serious then a tail light bulb and a few DRZ crush washers, but it was enough for me to know, never again.

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem
PhiSig1071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 07:43 AM   #14244
HoosierTrailmaster
Just an Old Grizzly

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpage11 View Post
prairie dogging, now that's a new term that made beer come out my nose
If you were a golfer, you would have known that term long ago...we used it all the time cause once you are on the course what the hell do you do until you get back to the clubhouse.
Old 09-12-2013, 11:00 AM   #14245
PhiSig1071
What's ******width?

Oddometer: 2,309
Quote:
If you were a golfer, you would have known that term long ago...we used it all the time cause once you are on the course what the hell do you do until you get back to the clubhouse.
Field Deuce.

That's why it helps to have a long belt, you take it off and wrap it around a tree and hang onto it leaning backwards. Lets you get your ass further out from your ankles without any added strain.

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem
PhiSig1071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 11:06 AM   #14246
FatSlowUgly
confused bicyclist

Oddometer: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiSig1071 View Post
I have also had a few members recommend a place called Motion Sports, it's off Ina near I-10, I can't personally vouch for them, but I have been told they're very good. http://www.motionsportstucson.com/
I've taken a bike to Motion Sports and plan to do so again.
FatSlowUgly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 01:24 PM   #14247
HoosierTrailmaster
Just an Old Grizzly

I am riding Saturday (really)... and this is what I plan to do Well, maybe not the last bit...that would be over the top

http://www.bing.com/videos/watch/vid...climb/207b4f9t
Old 09-12-2013, 03:25 PM   #14248
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,361
Quote:
I am riding Saturday (really)... and this is what I plan to do Well, maybe not the last bit...that would be over the top

http://www.bing.com/videos/watch/vid...climb/207b4f9t

Perhaps it's to the benefit of us all but, your link is not working.
swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 03:54 PM   #14249
KIC
Proud Army Dad

Oddometer: 1,080
It worked for me. That is awesome ! Who was it, Eric? that had a trials climbing bike like that .

HTM..you are grounded from trying anything like that ! Inventory shows you only have 2 bones left to be broken.
1985 Yamaha YZ 250 - Sold
KIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 05:05 PM   #14250
HoosierTrailmaster
Just an Old Grizzly

I still haven't cracked my skull yet.

PS: Judging by the accent I am guessing it was someone coming over the border.