Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-06-2013, 11:18 PM   #1
Staffy OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
Best location for spotlights and suggested spotlights?

Firstly I've spent the best part of an hour digging around trying to find answers to this on here but I must be missing the gold..

I'm after some spotlights/driving lights and am looking for suggestions. They need to be fairly lightweight and I'm thinking this would put the LED type up the front of the options. However, I'm trying to keep them under $100 for a pair (though I may be dreaming).

I've also got two locations I'm thinking of to mount them but am undecided on which to use.

The first is to mount them on the forks using brackets which utilize the same bolts that hold the front fender on. This will allow them use a solid mount but will add to unsprung weight and could create steering feedback with drag.

The other option is to mount them under the fairing. This will get around the drag issue but they will be mounted by only one bolt and may put extra stress on the fairing.

I'm trying to think about the physics of where the beam would point in these two applications as well but it's making my brain hurt....

Ideas and opinions are welcome....

The bike it's going on is a CX500 with a full fairing.
Staffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 04:11 AM   #2
davsato
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 799
hi mate are you using them to see better or to be seen better?

if the first, good spotlights are easy to find in your price range

if the second, wide angle lights mounted low and wide to give you as big a "triangular" light picture as possible to oncoming traffic.

i dont know what is available to you at what cost in the states but ive seen an excellent LED strip light that fits nicely just inside the fairing under the headlight, and works very well. also a pair of 3LED spots have been on the market for a while that a lot of people here rave about, chinese i think but good quality and value. (LED lights use less juice that filaments and dont really need any special wiring, you knew that right?)

davsato screwed with this post 09-07-2013 at 04:16 AM
davsato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 04:52 AM   #3
Rutabaga
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 729
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=751838

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=839163

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=607184

These three are from the vendors section of the Flea Market forum. Lots of info, some opinions and some facts.
Rutabaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 12:48 AM   #4
andrewhtf
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 115
CX500 with full fairing. U mean this?

andrewhtf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 03:46 AM   #5
Staffy OP
Adventurer

Thanks Rutabaga, there's one or two there that will fit the bill nicely.

Davsato, that answers my question perfectly. I'd be looking at improving night riding so the first instance you mention is bang on. For that reason I'll aim to mount them higher. I'm in Australia too, not that it matters as we get much the same stuff they do in the 'states.

andrewhtf, close but I don't look quite that dapper I'm afraid. Here's a couple of picks of the steed. She now has some dririder bags and a gearsack rack permanently mounted too with a pair of koni shocks to replace the marzocchis. It's a great bike and completely bulletproof. It would want to be though as it's been a 3 year ground up build.

Old 09-08-2013, 07:59 AM   #6
Grinnin
Forever N00b

Oddometer: 2,443
You might be able to fit some of those where your horn is. The subframe that holds the radiator is certainly strong enough although the bracketry may need to go back then forward and you'll want lightweight lights. (Can the horn fit under the headlight? IIRC there're mounting holes on the bottom tripple.)

Grinnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 03:00 PM   #7
Staffy OP
Adventurer

No there's a pair of stebel horns on either side one each of two different frequencies. The only seem to work when mounted at the right angle so I made plates to mount them to the radiator surround where the reflectors used to bolt on.

I guess I could fabricate a bracket the bolts onto those mounts and goes to the fairing mount bolt in front of it. That may be over-engineering though (I have a tendency to do that) and the fairing mount bolts would likely be sufficient if the lights were not too heavy.
Old 09-12-2013, 02:32 PM   #8
L.B.S.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,171
Apologies, I have nothing to add as far as the lighting question, but what an interesting looking fairing!

It looks like a cross between a CX500Turbo fairing and a CB1100R fairing

Very neat, and superb looking CX example!
L.B.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 03:26 PM   #9
sledgegreen
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
You could mount a length of aluminium bar to the fairing below the headlight. You can get aluminium bar which is designed to be used to protect the edge of stair treads - it has an L-shaped cross section so it is nice and rigid and looks better than ordinary ali angle.

The fairing surface probably isn't flat - I would mount it with 4 bolts arranged in a rectangle and use spacers made from brake hose or similar so that the plastic isn't forced to conform to the aluminium. Four bolts spreads the load on the fairing, and putting the bolts in 2 rows stops the bar rocking.
sledgegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 06:46 PM   #10
max384
Disgruntled Student

Oddometer: 3,054
I have some Advmonster model 30s. They're mounted on the forks where the fork reflectors used to be. They create a good triangle of light that helps me be seen from a distance. The one downside to this location is that in the case of a drop, the lights are exposed, and thus the mounts bend very easily. I solved this by buying a KLR250 so that I could stop taking the SV offroad!

I plan to buy a single ADvmonster model 60 and tuck it up underneath the front fairings to use for high beams only.

I'm very happy with my Advmonster lights, and they're BRIGHT, and the ones I have aren't even their bright models!

http://stores.advmonster.com/-strse-...Categories.bok

Pennsylvania to Newfoundland Ride Report
max384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 02:16 AM   #11
Staffy OP
Adventurer

Thumb

Thank LBS, appreciate it!

Sledgegreen, not a bad idea but I'm not too keen on cutting into this fairing. It's the only one of its type any of us aussie CX owners have seen so I'm going to try and do things that don't involve drilling into the fibreglass.

I'm handy with a welder so I may look at bracket work that bolts on the the fairing bracket and comes through in front of the horns. I want to spend a few hours tomorrow having a look at how to get around this so hopefully I come up with something.

At any rate, I found a local seller on ebay who had some that looked quality (and it turns out they are). They were on an ebay sale when I grabbed them so I saved about $30 - not too bad.

They're quite small and light so should suit my needs nicely.

I'll let you know how I go. Thanks for all the ideas and advice too, much appreciated!

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....m=251341121440

Old 09-20-2013, 11:29 PM   #12
Staffy OP
Adventurer

After much deliberation and musing over locations and options to mount these I decided on the simplest approach.

I've got some relatively short tube pressed, bent and drilled at either end to put the spotties back in the recess in front of the horns. In hindsight I should have read the angle of the fairing where the bolts are and put that angle into the mounts but I can always do that down the track. For now I'll get them wired up and see how the mounts go. If they work ok I'll build two more that have the right angle in them, give 'em a lick of paint then use those.

I've already dummy tested them during the day and they cast some good shadows so they should suit my needs quite well.