Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-04-2013, 10:08 AM   #1
kallie73 OP
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Tusk Chain Breaker?

Hi

I am looking for a cheap, but effective chain breaker to take with me on a adventure trip in case of a chain failure. I have a KTM 990 with a 525 chain.

Has anyone used a Tusk Chain breaker on a 525? Will it be able to break the chain. Would only utilise the unit in the event of a emergency.

I do not have the luxury of grinding the pinhead off when on the adventure. Chain breaker must be able to break the pinhead.

Thanks

Carel
kallie73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 04:41 PM   #2
bwringer
Gimpy, Yet Alacritous

Oddometer: 2,112
Not a scrap of room for a wee file?
"Do not crinkle your food wrappers loudly. Be considerate to others, or I will bite your torso and give you a disease."
bwringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 09:12 PM   #3
kallie73 OP
n00b

Oddometer: 3
kallie73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 11:56 PM   #4
B-Rod
RubberNecker

Oddometer: 1,894
Quote:
Originally Posted by kallie73 View Post
Hi

I am looking for a cheap, but effective chain breaker to take with me on a adventure trip in case of a chain failure. I have a KTM 990 with a 525 chain.

Has anyone used a Tusk Chain breaker on a 525? Will it be able to break the chain. Would only utilise the unit in the event of a emergency.

I do not have the luxury of grinding the pinhead off when on the adventure. Chain breaker must be able to break the pinhead.

Thanks

Carel
Quote:
It will work on a 525 chain with ease. I have split a bunch of chains with it. It doesn't 'break' anything. It pushed the peened pin through the plate. It un-sqishes the peen, and it does it very easily at that. I carry mine with me all the time. I've used it far more than I ever thought.
Old 09-08-2013, 03:54 AM   #5
bjoseph
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
Can one of you post the info on exactly where to find this? How makes it? Brand etc. I would like to pick one up as well to bring with me on my KTM 500 EXC
Old 09-08-2013, 05:58 AM   #6
codys
Lost in the Vizcaino

Oddometer: 1,246
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjoseph View Post
Can one of you post the info on exactly where to find this? How makes it? Brand etc. I would like to pick one up as well to bring with me on my KTM 500 EXC
http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/...m=chain%20tool
Old 09-09-2013, 12:54 AM   #7
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 6,933
Quote:
Hi

Thanks

Carel
Motion Pro makes a folding tool for this. Find it all over the interwebs...Motorcycle Superstore, Bike Bandit, etc. You can even get spare pins for it. I've used it for 530, 525, and 520 chains without any grinding.

You can also use clip-style masterlinks and safety-wire them. Dab a little RTV on afterwards.
Some are guard dogs of the flock. Some herders, search/rescue, or companions. We Devildogs are those, and also retrievers. Hell is our blazing dogpark, our frigid swimming hole. The fallen are our tennis balls. We don't leave the fallen behind, even if the master has to bring them home for us. Semper Fi, my friends.
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote