Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-13-2013, 08:43 AM   #16
mrbreeze
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,895
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pecha72 View Post
I saw a comparo, where the Glee-Stroms acceleration & 1/4 mile figures were pretty much on par with the F650GS twin (=800cc engine). The "real" F800GS has more top end, so I am a bit surprised, if it's not ahead.

But these bikes are not about performance numbers.
Yeah, I would expect the 800's to be faster than the DL650. I was surprised to learn that they were not much faster though.

but it's like you said, these bikes are not about numbers.

Travels with Maw Maw
mrbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 09:11 AM   #17
St. Arbucks
Looking for clues...

Oddometer: 365
Don't Forget The Heat

When comparing the Wee-Strom with the Tiger 800, you have to consider the heat issue with the Tiger.

Which...I know many people will argue does not exist. Let's accept, for the moment, that it does. (Also check Motorcycle USA's Tiger 800 XC Comparison article here, for their observations of the Tiger's heat:

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/256/11...omparison.aspx)

I had a wee for many years. I also have a Honda ST-1300. I recently picked up a Tiger 800 XC.

I used to ride the Wee during hot summer months when it was just too doggone hot to ride the ST (a known leg-cooker). I admired how the Wee pulled along stoutly, very smooth at highway speed and cool during triple digit weather. It was excellent for channeling heat away from the rider.

I cannot say the same for the Tiger. In 90+ weather, at slower speeds, I find the heat intolerable. At highway speeds, I can live with it.

Obviously, YMMV. I am NOT trying to start another Tiger-heat thread, only to tell the Op that heat might be an issue depending on his locale and personal tolerance.

The Wee is far superior in the area of heat management.

2013 Tiger 800 XC, 2007 ST-1300, 1991 KLX-650

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe...
St. Arbucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 09:23 AM   #18
Mtneer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 81
I was looking at both of these bikes, had been going back and forth over which one to buy, I bought a 2012 800 Road, it was demo, saved 2k over new, new generation Wee's are selling for $7745 OTD(plus T&T), the price difference was $1255 between the 2 bikes. I had owned an 06 Wee already, which I sold when I bought an 09 Street Triple R, still have it and a 2011 Daytona, I like the triples. The 800 doesn't make the power the 675's do but it still makes @ least 20HP on the Wee, for my intended purpose the Tiger was better suited. I don't think you could go wrong with either bike, just one is going to cost you more up front, as for reliability, my 675's have been great, STR has 14k, Daytona pushing 8k, reg/rectifier were recalled but neither had failed, the closest Triumph dealer to me is 120 miles away, if I need something, order and ship it, if I need service on something that I can't fix or warranty work, I'll take it back to the dealer I purchased all 3 bikes from, small family run place, mechanic is top notch, the dealer is honest, a rarity these days. I missed out on a deal on 2012 Wee, $6545 new, or I would be riding orange instead of venom yellow, to me it was almost a toss up.
Mtneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 09:57 PM   #19
invicta1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbreeze View Post
http://www.zeroto60times.com/Motorcy...mph-Times.html

according to this website:

0-60 1/4 mile
DL650 3.5 12.4
800XC 5.6 12.7
F800GS 3.8 12.4

that 0-60 number on the 800XC doesn't look right to me, but that's what the websiter says. I would think it would be pretty equally matched to the BMW. What is surprising is that the DL650 is competitive with the 800's.
Those times are wrong. Perhaps the 650 and the XC were switched. Quarter is 3 something. Worst 1/4 I've seen from tests is ~12.2.
Old 09-07-2013, 01:52 PM   #20
The_Precious_Juice
Two pump chump

Oddometer: 1,139
Very informative thread!

Thanks for creating this thread!
_
It did not take long for me to relieaze that for my personality, the 2012+ DL would be the right 19" tire bike for my adventure touring needs.

I like the overall look of the Tiger. But, that is because there is a skid plate of sorts. The DL looks good also, but the exposed under belly looks really horriable. I'd go with the Weld86 skid plate before the $287 under cowl that does nothing from damage from below.

The Tiger has better city manners and off-roading manners:
1. narrow wheell base of the Tiger.
DL 61.4" vs 60.2" of Tiger.

2. I like how the seat can be lowered with the Tiger down to 31.9"
But, I'd be fine on the DL's 32.9" seat height.

3. The width of the bike: Tiger is 31.3" and the DL 32.9"

4. ABS can be turned off. So really good for off-roading for the Tiger.
I'd be spending maybe 20% of my time off road, and 90% of that would be well groomed roads that a car could travel on. It's the last 10% that would cause me problems. But, everything I've read says the DL actually has ABS that is none intrusive on the dirt.

5. Tiger has better suspension. Front: 7", Rear 6.7" or so. The DL is 5.? front and 6.? in the rear.

I'm really impressed with how light the Tiger is. For having three pistons and stuff, the bike is nearly ten lbs lighter than the DL. But the DL holds about 2.5lbs more of fuel, or .3 gallons, plus tank mass to hold it.

Holy shit, if I wanted to splurge, I'd go Tiger all the way. I never mintioned the butter smooth engine and transmisson of the tiger. "magic carpet ride" feel of the ride.

However, I'm a frugal guy. Like the pack mule that she is, the Suzuki would out distance the Tiger by miles and miles.

With the initial savings on the 13 models: Tiger: $10,999 DL $8,499.
The $2,500 would go along way on the great low maintence of the Suzuki, and paying for the $187 skid plate.

I'd be riding at speeds well below 75mph, so the Strom would be fine. In fact, the 6th gear in speeds around 50mph would be money for approacing the 60mpg zone. I'm trying to avoid interstates on my touring.

I'm not really a horse power guy, so going real fast is not part of the journey. So the HP on the Tiger would not really be used and waisted on me.
___
I'm glad the Tiger is around. Great choices for the consumers.
The_Precious_Juice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 02:11 PM   #21
freecat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 143
Heat issue

To get a sense of the "heat issue" on the Tiger, take the heat poured onto your legs by an FJR on a hot summer day at low speeds and divide by 10.
freecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 02:14 PM   #22
freecat
Gnarly Adventurer

Performance

Motorcycle Consumer News got the following figures for the Tiger 800XC:

0-60: 4.06 seconds
Standing quarter mile: 12.19 seconds @ 108.72 mph.

I think that's quicker than a Wee Strom.

Edit: The 1/4 mile is, the 0-60 is not.

http://www.mcnews.com/mcn/features/2011AugTriBMW.pdf
Old 09-07-2013, 10:13 PM   #23
SpaceManSpiff
Man of Mystery

Oddometer: 1,075
Hey precious juice,

sometimes, it is not about the specs, but what moves you.

"I'm really impressed with how light the Tiger is. For having three pistons and stuff, the bike is nearly ten lbs lighter than the DL. But the DL holds about 2.5lbs more of fuel, or .3 gallons, plus tank mass to hold it."

FWIW, that is a bit of an apples to oranges comparison. The '12+ Glee weighs about 470 lbs, or about 33 lbs lighter than the 503lb 800XC. The Glee with the Adventure package adds about 47 lbs with the luggage mounts, panniers, crashbars, and taller windscreen to be 516 lbs. Figure a similarly equipped XC would be approx. 550lbs.

"5. Tiger has better suspension. Front: 7", Rear 6.7" or so. The DL is 5.? front and 6.? in the rear."

The XC has 8.66" F/8.46" R; the Tiger roadie 800 has 7.09"F/6.7"R
The DL650 has 5.9" F/6.3" R

Either way, sounds like a Tiger 800 roadie might fit your needs well.
HTH,
spaceman
Old 09-08-2013, 04:06 AM   #24
freecat
Gnarly Adventurer

The magazines didn't really test the Roadie very much -- they focused (understandably) on comparisons between the XC and the F800GS. But the Roadie is lighter, figures to be ever so slightly quicker.

But among us, the centerstand-and-topcase crowd, how much does it matter? What matters a bit is roll-on power between curves, the ability to pass, low-speed fueling, highway mileage, smoothness, etc.

Both bikes (Tiger and DL) are great all-around bikes in this regard. If I were going for pure grin factor, I would've bought a Street Triple R. But I'm just assuming a 600 mile day on that bike would be at least as uncomfortable as it was on my SV650 (which also had a topcase and centerstand...).

I consider the Tiger's alternator output (645W) to be quite a bonus. With my Wee, I might have been pushing it a bit with heated gear, aux lights, GPS, etc.
Old 09-08-2013, 05:29 AM   #25
buls4evr
No Marks....

Oddometer: 2,310
Then there is that beautiful mini Jaguar Tiger sound.... vs what sounds like a Suzuki generator working an irrigation pump. I own a WeeStrom but that Tiger engine is a jewel, heat or not. The Tiger has better build quality, that is less flimsy plastic panel kind of stuff.The Tiger has much better suspension units, just a lot more adjustable and sophisticated and is a lot more attractive.With all that said you just ride the Wee forever and have no problems. You can't make a bad choice between these 2 bikes IMO.By the time you upgrade the Suzuki suspension units so they are as good as the Triumphs these bikes cost the same thing. If you ride any dirt you need engine guards and a skidplate on the Wee for sure also or small stones just hammer the lower side of the engine, so add that on too.
buls4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 06:19 AM   #26
marcone
V-Stromer

Oddometer: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cjsgptx View Post
+1

I think the V-Strom is the KLR of Beasts.....
And it does a fantastic job at being just that!
marcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 07:55 AM   #27
freecat
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by buls4evr View Post
The Tiger has much better suspension units, just a lot more adjustable and sophisticated and is a lot more attractive.
My Roadie has less suspension adjustability than my '04 Wee did (the Wee has rear preload and rebound, and front preload, whereas the Roadie only has rear preload).

However, the Tiger has much, much BETTER suspension. It's more compliant. The upside-down fork is more rigid (less flexy) and due to cartridge internals gives better front end feel. It is set up more firmly for sport riding... which I like. The shock seems better as well, better damped, despite the lack of damping adjustment.

But if you can get a new Wee for around $8000-$8500 OTD, you have basically gotten more for your money than you can with any other bike. Short of a dresser, it's about as comfortable for touring as it gets, it has great range, is more fun in the twisties than heavier touring bikes, it can go down gravel roads, dirt roads and goat paths that make sport-tourers nervous, and generally just works.

But I still bought a Tiger when I decided it was time for a new bike. I don't think I'll be sorry.
Old 09-08-2013, 01:31 PM   #28
Zapp22
ZAPP - Tejas

Oddometer: 13,643
Quote:
Originally Posted by freecat View Post
To get a sense of the "heat issue" on the Tiger, take the heat poured onto your legs by an FJR on a hot summer day at low speeds and divide by 10.
and Tenere, divide by 2??

I totally agree about the weestrom. we get triple digits here anytime from February into October [have had 50+ days this year]. I don't LIKE to ride in such temperatures, but I never felt heat from the weestrom unless sitting still, and little then. by contrast, the DR650 single I have is a leg cooker on one side. I need to check its exhaust header....
the Wee is even cooler and less prone to head drift in crosswind if one removes the splashdam beneath the nose cone. also reduces buffeting, which is very little if one uses madstad + givi

Zapp22 screwed with this post 09-08-2013 at 01:37 PM
Zapp22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 03:26 PM   #29
freecat
Gnarly Adventurer

I haven't ridden an S10, but if you've ridden an FJR, even one with some heat-reducing mods, the Tiger's heat is hardly worth noting. It's more than the Wee puts out. But without a fairing you can just splay your knees for a moment and it's gone. And you don't feel it at all at speed.
Old 09-09-2013, 04:23 AM   #30
buls4evr
No Marks....

Oddometer: 2,310
Quote:
Originally Posted by freecat View Post
My Roadie has less suspension adjustability than my '04 Wee did (the Wee has rear preload and rebound, and front preload, whereas the Roadie only has rear preload).

However, the Tiger has much, much BETTER suspension. It's more compliant. The upside-down fork is more rigid (less flexy) and due to cartridge internals gives better front end feel. It is set up more firmly for sport riding... which I like. The shock seems better as well, better damped, despite the lack of damping adjustment.

But if you can get a new Wee for around $8000-$8500 OTD, you have basically gotten more for your money than you can with any other bike. Short of a dresser, it's about as comfortable for touring as it gets, it has great range, is more fun in the twisties than heavier touring bikes, it can go down gravel roads, dirt roads and goat paths that make sport-tourers nervous, and generally just works.

But I still bought a Tiger when I decided it was time for a new bike. I don't think I'll be sorry.

Well, maybe not the "goat paths" you mention and not even all "dirt roads" if they are sand especially. Let's not get carried away. They get a lot more versatile if you spend another $2K on upgrades to suspension and protection.All surfaces that you want to put a Wee on need to be pretty solid.
buls4evr is offline   Reply With Quote