http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=908417
Old 08-30-2013, 07:49 AM   #107
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 23,498
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBo1 View Post
Ryan Wallace (USA)

(For those that can't be arsed to follow the previous link I provided)

Im a dummy
Old 08-31-2013, 05:11 AM   #108
JayBo1 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,604
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBo1
I'll also have an announcement about another sponsor tomorrow that will see me looking sweet on the start line at the Safari and the Dakar.
I'm very, very happy to announce that Monza Imports are going to be helping me out a bit with some cool riding gear. Hopefully the new kit will arrive in time for the Safari, as it would be great to showcase it for them there and also give me a chance to break it in and get comfortable and recognised in it before the Dakar. So I should be resplendent in Fox 360 pants and shirts, Dianese body armour and nice shiny Alpinestar Tech 10 boots. I'll get some photo's posted up as soon as the new kit arrives.

I should have the bike running tomorrow. It's starting to look great, but I can't wait for the new graphics kit to get done! More photo's coming.

Ciao
JayBo
KTM 530 EXC-R (R for Rally, right!!) ... or Retired or Redundant
Cagiva 750 Elefant - Lucky Explorer '88
JayBo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 04:50 AM   #109
JayBo1 OP
Beastly Adventurer

It lives, it lives!. I've almost completed the wiring connections but did enough to get it running. It sounds very crisp after the valve adjustment I did with less popping and banging and settling down to a nice idle. Very happy.

Unfortunately it took me a long time because I had a slight earth issue with the indicator circuit. Sorted now but too late to get photo's. I'm also collecting a seat retaining clip from a mate this week, so the seat will sit properly. The Dzus fastener clip that is mounted on the frame was broken and I forgot about it. Now I have the seat back I remember I was supposed to replace the broken clip on the frame so the seat could attach. Then I'll get some photo's of it out there. I can however tell you that if the bike had a TV, fridge and stove on it I wouldn't need to come inside anymore! Very comfy! The shape is going to be brilliant for riding standing up, as it is quite a bit wider than standard at the front and rear and only slightly wider in the middle. While sitting the width will also help with better support over a wider area. I suspect it's going to be close to perfection.

Another little task for me today was to fit the Carbon Fibre fairing, but that also hasn't gone completely to plan. I need to grind away a small section to clear the park light bulb holder. This was going okay with my cheap Chinese pencil grinder thing until the power supply decided it didn't want to play anymore. The output dropped from 6VDC to 2.4VDC and that wasn't enough to charge the battery pack the tool uses internally. So another little task got a little bigger. No worries though. If I don't get the pencil grinder sorted I'll simply remove the park light and silicon up the hole it'll leave in the headlight. Not my preference though.

Ciao
Old 09-03-2013, 02:41 AM   #110
tehdutchie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,646
Keep it up! Doing great work! Looking forward to seeing a rebuilt Rally at the Safari.

Are you teaming up with Don?
Old 09-03-2013, 03:50 AM   #111
JayBo1 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tehdutchie View Post
Keep it up! Doing great work! Looking forward to seeing a rebuilt Rally at the Safari.

Are you teaming up with Don?
G'day Antal.
Thanks mate. I am taking a logistics package with Don and doing my own servicing. It might make the days a bit longer and be better preparation for the Dakar. If I can't do a week of cushy Safari days with a few oil & air filter changes and a few tyre changes then I have no hope of doing a Dakar day, let alone a whole bunch of them. So Don will carry a bit of stuff for me (tyres, swag, bag of clothes, a few tools) and make sure I have fuel everywhere I need it and I'll ride, do my services and smile!

Catch ya soon.
Old 09-05-2013, 07:05 AM   #112
JayBo1 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Developments!
The final proof of the "Official Team Supporter" Tee Shirts is approved. I should have a bunch of shirts in my hot little hands in a week or two. Hopefully by then I'll have worked out how to deal with enabling people to buy them. (Otherwise I just spent a lot of money buying myself bike polishing rags). So, without further ado ... here it is:

I'll post some photo's when the real things are here (assuming I get to try one on - I already have cash from buyers that have pre-ordered sight unseen!) if I can find a nice model. (Oh yeah, I forgot to say they're $50 each, in one colour choice (Chestnut Brown) and a range of sizes from S to XXL).

The other development for the day is that I have been told a very special piece of kit is being couriered to me tomorrow and should be here sometime next week. This will be worth watching for. I'll absolutely post some photo's when it arrives.

Catch ya soon.
Old 09-06-2013, 08:17 AM   #113
JayBo1 OP
Beastly Adventurer

It's a fast moving world now that things are getting closer to race start! Another new sponsor. The mighty 450RFR will be breathing easy with a large complement of air filters from Funnel Web Filters.

I have been supplied with 8 filters for the Safari, which will be used and then bagged for return so they can be dissected for study. I'll then be getting a bunch of them to see me through the Dakar. A great Aussie product doing big things around the world!

I'll have another announcement tomorrow.
Ciao
JayBo
Old 09-07-2013, 02:45 PM   #114
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,920
John! Thanks for putting this dummy onto your thread, buddy!

Excellent, excellent, excellent stuff man!

I am keen to support in any little way I can, so count me in for the swag as well.

As you may or may not have seen, our mine is just 20km from the bivouac at Uyuni, Bolivia, so be sure to have my cell No. just in case you happen to need help on a liaison somewhere.

Looks like the Safari will be a great place for you to simulate the Dakar experience per Christophe's recommendations.

Keep this thread coming, cant wait for the next installment.

Neil
Bluebull2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 06:55 AM   #115
JayBo1 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Hey Neil,
I figured I would be in your neighbourhood in early January. How's the new mine doing? Shame I won't have time for a quick look.
I hear you on the idea of using Safari as Dakar prep. I'll be doing my own everything to push myself into longer days. Should keep things interesting. Being a F5rehoser in a couple of Dakars should also have helped. All those very late nights and very early mornings on top of cycling 65km to/from work and doing a full day in the office. I guess in January I'll be able to know the truth of which is harder to do.

Anyway, on to the update for the day...
I picked up my new Shoei helmet yesterday. Unfortunately I forgot to take a photo of it but it's a helmet ... you get the idea. (It's black and white to suit my new kit ... that's all I'll say until the rest of the kit arrives, hopefully later this week.

The bike is now pretty much ready to go for the Safari. Just a final bit of wiring to do (pick up a power source for a gadget and run an earth to the nav tower so I'm not relying on the bolts through the aluminium brackets) and the graphics to go on. The graphics looks awesome, judging by the final proof sheet I have seen.

Today I final fitted the new Carbon Fibre fairing and the Renazco Racing seat.
Here's a few shots of the fairing:

... and the seat:

Just in case there's any finnicky, observant people out there that know their 450RFR's, the mesh screen that's supposed to be in front of the oil cooler is now fitted. I had forgotten it, but fitted it when I noticed it wasn't on when I put the bike back in the shed.

There will be some more exciting photo's later this week when the Aurora Rally Equipment gear arrives. Thenthe riders view from the cockpit will change a fair bit. Watch this space for a world first!
Old 09-08-2013, 08:09 AM   #116
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,920

She's a beaut, John. Excellent job!

Do you have a link for the people who got the fairing done? Are those indicator lights I see built into the fairing as well? Also is there a link for the guys who made riding gear? I'll be keen to hear how you found the rally jacket they made.

I'm looking forward to see the bike with all its decals.

Yes I will be in SA during the Dakar, and there is a very strong possibility I will be in Bolivia in January when the rally comes through.

BTW, you mentioned the risk of these bikes burning if grass gets in between the header exhaust and the bash plate, and you are quite right it is a risk if you're riding through a lot of bush/grass.

Darryl Curtis made a great fix by installing some mesh over the holes allowing air though and into the base plate (this is where the grass gets in). I reckon that might be a cheaper fix than what you were planning?
Bluebull2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 09:19 AM   #117
KTRMN8R
Wannabe Racer

Oddometer: 1,201
All the best.

JayBo,

Very best of luck & Godspeed in your endeavors. Very inspirational thread,... I just read it complete this morning. Great group of thread followers too. The assylum is full of wonderfully talented people that are willing to share so much of themselves. PM me when ya get the shirts figured out,.... also will give the same offer as given rally Pan Am. I know space is limited but send me dimensions if you like(even if very small) of what you could stand as a care package,... would be glad to send a bit of encouragement your way even if it's a couple licky chewies (jerky, raisins & such).

Thanks again for an encouraging step by step post. I've learned a lot & am subscribed at 5 Stars.

Shout out:

Stagehand,

How's home? I grew up in the Kaatskill Mountains, Dad worked at the IBM Poughkeepsie plant for many years after Kingston closed.

Take care folks,

Sean

KTRMN8R screwed with this post 09-10-2013 at 03:37 PM
KTRMN8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 04:39 AM   #118
JayBo1 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Hey Sean.
Thanks for the comments. I'll definitely post up here when I get the Tee Shirt ordering process sorted. I hope to get the first batch on Monday.

A package left Greece late on Thursday afternoon and was delivered to my semi-rural doorstep this afternoon. I'm going out to the shed to play and maybe take some photo's to post up later.

Thanks Dimitri - looks awesome at first glance and I never expected such a comprehensive little manual booklet with it.
Ciao for now.
Old 09-10-2013, 05:16 AM   #119
640 Armageddon
-oo-

Oddometer: 1,657
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBo1 View Post
A package left Greece late on Thursday afternoon and was delivered to my semi-rural doorstep this afternoon. I'm going out to the shed to play and maybe take some photo's to post up later.

Thanks Dimitri - looks awesome at first glance and I never expected such a comprehensive little manual booklet with it.
Ciao for now.
Wait until you see the DvD Videos

A bit late to the party here but I have been following the thread since it started
Appreciate the comments John, we have not sorted out the packaging yet, that is why you got it bubble wrapped but we will get there...

The bike looks as sweet as it gets and I am looking forward to see it with the graphics on
Also, please put us down for a couple of these shirts, we have to get them. Australasian will be the world's first public appearance of Mk I and in such a tough race We have to remember it

p.s. Data loggers left today. DvD with drivers and software is included, it will be interesting to see what kind of g's and temps you will encounter in the Australasian and in Dakar
Old 09-10-2013, 05:37 AM   #120
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 23,498
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTRMN8R View Post
JayBo,

Very best of luck & Godspeed in your endeavors. Very inspirational thread,... I just read it complete this morning. Great group of thread followers too. The assylum is full of wonderfully talented people that are willing to share so much of themselves. PM me when ya get the shirts figured out,.... also will give the same offer as given rally Pan Am. I know space is limited but send me dimensions if you like(even if very small) of what you could stand as a care package,... would be glad to send a bit of encouragement your way even if it's a couple licky chewies (jerky, raisins & such).

Thanks again for an encouraging step by step post. I've learned a lot & am subscribed at 5 Stars.

Shout out:

Stagehand,

How's home? I grew up in the Kaatskill Mountains, Dad worked at the IBM Poughkeepsie plant for many years after Kingston closed.

Take care folks,

Sean
Hi Sean- How cool to meet (virtually) a hometown guy- It seems like I'm at the opposite corner of the world from everything, up here, and farily remote from the genreal life of the world. Sometimes it makes Perth feel like a cosmospolitan center! It goes well, though- still one of the prettiest places on earth.

IM totally in for a shirt- did I mention that? WHat do I do, JAybo, just paypal you? JohhnyB@ SAfari dot Hey Ewe?