Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-03-2013, 12:04 AM   #76
Dan950ser
NW Shredder

Oddometer: 416
My 950 SE is the best bike I've owned to date and is the perfect mixture of offroad and road capable for me. Taken me through baja twice and will again in October. 1100 miles all dirt besides maybe 100 of it. Got it in street ridden only condition three years ago with only 3100 miles for $8500. Probably could sell it for more than that now. If you find a nice one my advice is jump on it before someone else does. Might require a fly and ride though.

2014 KTM 250 XC-W
Dan950ser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 06:13 PM   #77
Nowwhat
I'll Go Second...

Oddometer: 4,672
Right down the middle

'Berg 570..Trail Beast
Nowwhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 12:55 AM   #78
veriest1
Grand NOOBlet

Oddometer: 2,380
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowwhat View Post
Right down the middle

There's no emoticon for that amount of awesome.

Sent from my HTC using magic.
veriest1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 04:09 AM   #79
Mosseltje
Alive

Oddometer: 175
I crashed my SE so many times it should have side wheels.
After replacing the decals, handguards and footpegs the bike is almost new again.

Wonder what damage will happen when the 1190R topples over.
Old 09-05-2013, 07:15 AM   #80
jonz
Miles are my mantra

Oddometer: 2,207
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosseltje View Post
I crashed my SE so many times it should have side wheels.
After replacing the decals, handguards and footpegs the bike is almost new again.

Wonder what damage will happen when the 1190R topples over.
I'm in the same boat - my SE is amazingly crashworthy as it has come out of some better than I I may have been the most featured rider in Riceless 950's victims thread. My SE has an aftermarket skidplate and lever guards, that's it. Even with the engine armor on the ADV's they look more susceptible to damage though Riceless950 certainly put his 950ADV through alot. My first thought when seeing the 1190 was it's beautiful followed shortly by "I wonder how long it would look beautiful after I owned it?"

For the OP, it sounds like the SE is what you're looking for. I have done many thousands of miles on the pavement when I had to (like riding home to southern California from Miami after returning from a South America trip). It wasn't a bad ride though I do have a Lynx "fairing" which helps. And I've done thousands of miles of "offroad" (really off pavement) in Baja (including the 1000 race course) and up here in Montana.

The one bad thing I will say about the SE is that the suspension is crude. But it seems just about everyone modifies their offroad suspension no matter the bike so that may not matter to you. I've heard the ADV suspension is more tuneable but can't say from experience since every ADV I've ridden was someone else's and figured it wasn't polite to start fiddling with the clickers.

You'll have fun no matter what bike you chose.
Honda ST1300 ABS (newest addition to the stable)
STOC #326 IBA #217
jonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 07:54 AM   #81
v8toilet
Nothing to see here.

Oddometer: 1,712
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonz View Post
I'm in the same boat - my SE is amazingly crashworthy as it has come out of some better than I I may have been the most featured rider in Riceless 950's victims thread. My SE has an aftermarket skidplate and lever guards, that's it. Even with the engine armor on the ADV's they look more susceptible to damage though Riceless950 certainly put his 950ADV through alot. My first thought when seeing the 1190 was it's beautiful followed shortly by "I wonder how long it would look beautiful after I owned it?"

For the OP, it sounds like the SE is what you're looking for. I have done many thousands of miles on the pavement when I had to (like riding home to southern California from Miami after returning from a South America trip). It wasn't a bad ride though I do have a Lynx "fairing" which helps. And I've done thousands of miles of "offroad" (really off pavement) in Baja (including the 1000 race course) and up here in Montana.

The one bad thing I will say about the SE is that the suspension is crude. But it seems just about everyone modifies their offroad suspension no matter the bike so that may not matter to you. I've heard the ADV suspension is more tuneable but can't say from experience since every ADV I've ridden was someone else's and figured it wasn't polite to start fiddling with the clickers.

The rear shock on the SE is the same basic unit from a KTM 85. The LC8 Adv unit is a much nicer PDS unit.
v8toilet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 01:02 PM   #82
Sporting Wood
I <3 Energizer Bunny

Oddometer: 891
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonz View Post

SE forks are better, more travel and better stock valving. Shame they didn't put the good PDS of a 950S ADV on those. If I can get our buddy Brewcito to do this loop of Mexico we're planning, we could meet up and do a suspension comparison in Bajajaja. He's had Bruce Triplet do the terrain tamer mod to his SE forks like the EXC he had last time there, one side compression and one side rebound. Says its awesome. Think he swapped o an ADV shock too.

IMHO, the 1190 is a far better BMW GS. Speaking of which, could you guys get back to bashing GS's instead of all this interorange infighting?
Sporting Wood is offline   Reply With Quote