ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-06-2013, 06:11 PM   #46
Chiknmunky
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
178 is still closed.. There is a detuor,but I'm not sure how far around it takes you.
Chiknmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 06:48 PM   #47
Whitebread117
I do what I want

Oddometer: 456
I believe the detour takes you around toward East Fork/Glady Creek and 276, which is the opposite direction from Gorges.

For those coming up from SC, plan on coming straight up 281.
Whitebread117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 09:05 PM   #48
kaosbandit
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 177
Its not firmed up yet, but I may join you guys on Sunday. Its looking good right now.

I will be on a red gen 1 KLR 650. Stretch160 and I started riding dual sport at the same time so I too am an improving noob offroad, but I think I will be able to keep up.
Old 09-07-2013, 07:11 AM   #49
Whitebread117
I do what I want

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaosbandit View Post
Its not firmed up yet, but I may join you guys on Sunday. Its looking good right now.

I will be on a red gen 1 KLR 650. Stretch160 and I started riding dual sport at the same time so I too am an improving noob offroad, but I think I will be able to keep up.

You'll be fine I'm sure. Gorges is a good place to get more comfortable offroad unless it's really wet, then it gets interesting. We haven't had enough rain recently to get it sloppy in there so it should be good.

Our rider count could be as high as 10 based on replies here and pm's I've received, so we might consider meeting down the trail from the parking lot a little bit. It's a legal road, but is a tree hugger haven and there will likely be a number of people in the parking lot that would frown/complain about a dozen dual sports going past in one big group.
Old 09-07-2013, 07:38 AM   #50
trespalacios
Oh libertad

Oddometer: 643
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitebread117 View Post
You'll be fine I'm sure. Gorges is a good place to get more comfortable offroad unless it's really wet, then it gets interesting. We haven't had enough rain recently to get it sloppy in there so it should be good.

Our rider count could be as high as 10 based on replies here and pm's I've received, so we might consider meeting down the trail from the parking lot a little bit. It's a legal road, but is a tree hugger haven and there will likely be a number of people in the parking lot that would frown/complain about a dozen dual sports going past in one big group.
I think you're right. It's getting interesting for sure!!!

Antioquia, tierra de mis amores
Some trail riding stories
trespalacios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 01:46 PM   #51
Whitebread117
I do what I want

Wicked

By my count we've got 4 definites and 6 maybe/probably. Like I said it's a public road but it doesn't take a lot of complaints to get the forest service real pissy, so lets not all meet in the parking lot. Lets meet a little ways into the woods. That way bikes will be rolling through in smaller groups and are much less likely to cause complaints from the militant-tree-hugging-types. Apologies if you fall into that category, but I can't help your narrowmindedness It's a sad fact of riding in this area, but we lose more and more access every year and I don't want to be a contributor to that loss.

When you enter Gorges from 281, stay on the main road until you come to the 3 way stop with the visitors' center straight ahead. Turn left at stop sign, and stay on main road after that. It'll weave steeply downhill below the visitors' center and come to another parking lot. Straight through the end of this parking lot is a dirt road with a wooden gate (open). Coordinates for you gps types are:

35.088652,-82.951092

There's also a sign that will be very similar to the one below. Road name cropped off the top in photo. This photo is of the identical sign on the other end of the road:

Go straight down the road, and hold the hooliganism over the first several water breaks (there will be plenty more ). The road will turn to the left and head downhill a bit, there's several clearings after that. Stop in the first one that looks convenient. I'll try to be down there before anyone else, but if you've gone a half mile off pavement and haven't seen anyone else then you're probably the early bird.
Old 09-07-2013, 02:07 PM   #52
Wlfman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,289
I'll be at the lower lot between 1030-11. I'll unload and gear up there and ride in as you suggest to look for/wait on the group.

Those who say it cannot be done should not interrupt the people who are doing it."
"Now and then it's good to pause in our pursuit of happiness and JUST BE HAPPY."
Wlfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 03:20 PM   #53
mdrake
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 182
Thanks for letting me tag along. It was a great day.
mike klx250
mdrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 04:13 PM   #54
Whitebread117
I do what I want

Definitely a good day. Whoever has photos of the rattler post them up. I neglected to take any.

Hope everyone had fun.

I didn't get my camera charged last night so I only took one short video with my cell phone. I'll post it up after a while
Old 09-08-2013, 04:32 PM   #55
Wlfman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,289
Made it home. Sorry i bugged out early. That last get-off I had tweaked the hell out of my bars and forks. Tire pointed one way and bars the other (neither centered) and my shifter was tweaked to.

Had a blast. Hopefully we can do it again before it turns too cold.

Those who say it cannot be done should not interrupt the people who are doing it."
"Now and then it's good to pause in our pursuit of happiness and JUST BE HAPPY."
Wlfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 07:19 PM   #56
Whitebread117
I do what I want

Video link below. Like I said, didn't take any pictures. First ride I've been on in a while where I wasn't leading the whole way or riding sweep to pick up the stragglers, so wasn't prepared to have time to stop for pictures.

Thanks to all for a great ride. In the past I've refrained from posting pictures/videos of other peoples' offs, but those that have ridden with me for any length of time know that there's ample opportunities to get evidence of my dirt naps. So now I don't feel bad or hold back posting others' oh sh*t moments

Ride with me more than once and I guarantee you'll have a chance to return the favor

https://vimeo.com/74074973

I definitely want to get back in there after the Bad Creek gate opens. There's also 2 more roads that are promising and I want to explore. Also, the cliff photo I posted earlier (and trespalacios was questioning me about) is only about 25 minutes from the gas station. So a lot of riding opportunities nearby, and I intend to venture back that way soon.

Old 09-09-2013, 09:04 AM   #57
trespalacios
Oh libertad

Oddometer: 643
It was a very good day in my book. Here's a few pics:

Antioquia, tierra de mis amores
Some trail riding stories
trespalacios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 09:23 AM   #58
stretch160 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 474
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitebread117 View Post
Whoever has photos of the rattler post them up.

and one of Trespalacios angling for a better shot.

stretch160 screwed with this post 09-09-2013 at 05:42 PM
stretch160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 09:40 AM   #59
stretch160 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 474
More pictures from our stops at the bridge.

Thanks for the ride guys. I had a blast
stretch160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 05:20 PM   #60
kaosbandit
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 177
It was good to meet all ya'll and share a great ride. Thanks for all the help picking my bike back up!

I am pretty sore today, but I can't wait to go again!