User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-08-2013, 06:22 PM   #2131
Gruesome
Alter Heizer

Oddometer: 716
Cool2 LED strips on the handguards

I finally installed the LED strips on the handguards on my R1150GS. I bought a spool (5m) of these LEDs over a year ago (edit: almost two years ago!), and had connectorized and sealed them already a while ago. Now I finally installed and connected them. Initially I was thinking of hooking them up between +12V and the positive tap of the turn signals, but now I just connected them in parallel to the parking light. They are pretty bright.
I cleaned the handguards with some prep solvent (leftover from painting my cases mandarin yellow), so hopefully the adhesive on the LED strips will hold up.
Here are some pics:

Wiring (fully connectorized):

That parking light is a bear to get to, and of course the bulb gave up in the middle of installation. Radio Shack had some 14V 200mA that fit.

With high beam:

Added: These strips are about 0.2W/LED, 7.2W/meter. They have three 150 Ohm series resistors (labeled '151') per group of three LEDs. I think these 5050 SMD LEDs put out about 50 lumens/Watt, but I'm not sure.
Picture at dusk, to show the amount of light thrown back on the bike, and to the side:

Added: post with details for connectors etc.: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...2&postcount=17

Gruesome screwed with this post 12-17-2013 at 09:44 PM Reason: add shopping details
Gruesome is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 06:30 PM   #2132
ClearwaterBMW
The Examiner

Oddometer: 5,972
You did a very nice job with that but I want to ask you: at night when those LEDs are on is someone coming at you able to see your turn signals? I always get concerned when bright LED lights are so close to turn signals that they may cause oncoming traffic to be unable to notice you turning. please be sure of that for your own safety
Live life like you mean it... but take your family and friends (and DOGS) along for the "ride"
ClearwaterBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 06:43 PM   #2133
Botch
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Head View Post
Changed oil in the engine, trans and F/D for the final time.
So, yesterday more shopping.
So, what did you have, and more importantly, what are you getting next?
Botch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 06:46 PM   #2134
Ravenslair
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 441
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gruesome View Post
I finally installed the LED strips on the handguards on my R1150GS. I bought a spool (5m) of these LEDs over a year ago, and had connectorized and sealed them already a while ago. Now I finally installed and connected them. Initially I was thinking of hooking them up between +12V and the positive tap of the turn signals, but now I just connected them in parallel to the parking light. They are pretty bright.
I cleaned the handguards with some prep solvent (leftover from painting my cases mandarin yellow), so hopefully the adhesive on the LED strips will hold up.
Here are some pics:

Wiring (fully connectorized):

That parking light is a bear to get to, and of course the bulb gave up in the middle of installation. Radio Shack had some 14V 200mA that fit.

With high beam:
I did a similar thing, but used yellow LEDs and tied them into my turn signals. I was going to put some white LED's vertically up the lower struts but have not done so. My turn signal LED strips have been on most of this year and show no sign of peeling off. I still need to add some to the Jesse's as well as red for running/brake lights.

Ravenslair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 07:11 PM   #2135
Gruesome
Alter Heizer

Oddometer: 716
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenslair View Post
I did a similar thing, but used yellow LEDs and tied them into my turn signals. I was going to put some white LED's vertically up the lower struts but have not done so. My turn signal LED strips have been on most of this year and show no sign of peeling off. I still need to add some to the Jesse's as well as red for running/brake lights.
Good to know about the peeling (or lack thereof). Our under-the-counter kitchen strips (same LEDs) have been up for over a year, but are less exposed to the elements.
Strips + turn signals: you could wire them so they alternate with your turn signals, and are on the rest of the time. You'd just put their + connection to steady 12V, and the negative side to the (intermittent) +12V of the turn signals. When the turn signals are not on, the LEDs get their ground through them. As they draw much less current, the turn signals should stay dark. Somebody here actually did that, it's not my idea.
Gruesome is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 07:35 PM   #2136
Ravenslair
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gruesome View Post
Good to know about the peeling (or lack thereof). Our under-the-counter kitchen strips (same LEDs) have been up for over a year, but are less exposed to the elements.
Strips + turn signals: you could wire them so they alternate with your turn signals, and are on the rest of the time. You'd just put their + connection to steady 12V, and the negative side to the (intermittent) +12V of the turn signals. When the turn signals are not on, the LEDs get their ground through them. As they draw much less current, the turn signals should stay dark. Somebody here actually did that, it's not my idea.
I really like that idea. I am home this week so will try that out. I wanted them as running / turn lights but did not put a lot of thought how to make it happen. I appreciate the tip!
Old 09-09-2013, 12:08 AM   #2137
I GS 1
I 90S I

Oddometer: 619
I fitted a nicer angel eye LED to my 90mm headlight (I don't ride with this headlight on during the day). Not sure why it is giving a green tinge to the reflected back light. I may have to get rid of the backlighting to enhance the angel eye effect.

New LED angel eye
I GS 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 12:36 AM   #2138
I GS 1
I 90S I

Oddometer: 619
Quote:
Originally Posted by I GS 1 View Post
I fitted a nicer angel eye LED to my 90mm headlight (I don't ride with this headlight on during the day). Not sure why it is giving a green tinge to the reflected back light. I may have to get rid of the backlighting to enhance the angel eye effect.

New LED angel eye
This is what I had before but the LED's were spaced too far apart. I have found a one which looks very much like the ones on the BMW cars but it is very definately a Daytime Running Light and far too bright to get a roadworthy certificate with. In NZ, the law has it that you have to have a headlight on in the day and DRLs have to switch off when you put a headlight on (transferred from the car legislation I guess) so it will only pass as a position light.

UntitledJ
I GS 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 06:56 AM   #2139
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 6,521
Had a 2004 1150 Adventure, no idea yet what's next. I'm kind of bi-polar when bike shopping.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botch View Post
So, what did you have, and more importantly, what are you getting next?
Right now, leaning two directions, 690, or 990 or maybe go old man crazy and get a dream bike.

Guess that's tree directions.
Old 09-09-2013, 07:42 AM   #2140
Ravenslair
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Had a 2004 1150 Adventure, no idea yet what's next. I'm kind of bi-polar when bike shopping.

Right now, leaning two directions, 690, or 990 or maybe go old man crazy and get a dream bike.

Can't go wrong with either of those
Old 09-09-2013, 09:19 AM   #2141
macadamia
XK Red 27 Technique

Oddometer: 1,338
Quote:

My 650X Challenge is for sale and still available... just sayin'...
Old 09-09-2013, 11:56 AM   #2142
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Yeah I saw that earlier. Lots to consider now that I'm bikeles for sure.
Then I spotted this 1098S. which lead me to a 2008 690R with safari tank and bits. (I was looking at MV's ).
Now, I'm back to trying to beat the dealers down. I've all but given up on the 990 idea. The fuel economy is just too crap for me to be interested. After everything standing in the noonday sun, we are all KLR riders at heart. Cheap as cheap can be.

When I stopped in to buy my last oil filter Brown Motor Works has a 2004 1150 Adventure same color as mine sitting there with only a few more miles on it than when mine was new to me, and not too bad price wise. Jesses on it and some other bits I suppose. I don't think I'll go there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by macadamia View Post
My 650X Challenge is for sale and still available... just sayin'...
Old 09-09-2013, 02:48 PM   #2143
Ravenslair
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
...When I stopped in to buy my last oil filter Brown Motor Works has a 2004 1150 Adventure same color as mine sitting there with only a few more miles on it than when mine was new to me, and not too bad price wise. Jesses on it and some other bits I suppose. I don't think I'll go there.
The KTM 690 and 990 are great bikes. The 690 should get 45-50mpg. The 990 will not be that generous.

I took a look at their inventory. Great looking bike. If you spent more than a few seconds looking at it though...

It can't hurt to take her for a ride
Old 09-09-2013, 03:33 PM   #2144
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

So the last of it,
Oiled and cleaned up a bit,

Old 09-09-2013, 05:41 PM   #2145
Kouros
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by I GS 1 View Post
This is what I had before but the LED's were spaced too far apart. I have found a one which looks very much like the ones on the BMW cars but it is very definately a Daytime Running Light and far too bright to get a roadworthy certificate with. In NZ, the law has it that you have to have a headlight on in the day and DRLs have to switch off when you put a headlight on (transferred from the car legislation I guess) so it will only pass as a position light.

UntitledJ
Could you kindly provide a link to the Angel Eye (the new one you have)? Thanks in advance.
-Kouros
Kouros is offline   Reply With Quote