ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-08-2013, 07:21 PM   #16
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,882
Quote:
Originally Posted by pfdskipper View Post
339 bucks for the EarthX36,,,,,
don't do it .. put a Deka 14AH AGM for about $70 and be done. Deka and Odyssey both have excellent reputations.
_cy_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 07:53 PM   #17
renogeorge
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,256
I am trying to remember how many posts I have read where a guy got 5 years, 7 years, whatever out of an OEM Yuasa AGM battery and is looking for something different to replace it. I fell for it and have tried 2 different brands of the Lithium Super dupers. 3 replacements and questionable cold weather starting. Gotta buy the special charger, keep everything just right (don't ever have a drain or leave something on and drain the battery).

I am sure that they will get these new batteries figured out someday. I just don't plan to prototype for them at these prices out in the boonies on my 450 pound Adventure with no kick starter. Sorry, not very adventurous.....
Old 09-08-2013, 08:13 PM   #18
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,882
Quote:
Originally Posted by renogeorge View Post
I am trying to remember how many posts I have read where a guy got 5 years, 7 years, whatever out of an OEM Yuasa AGM battery and is looking for something different to replace it. I fell for it and have tried 2 different brands of the Lithium Super dupers. 3 replacements and questionable cold weather starting. Gotta buy the special charger, keep everything just right (don't ever have a drain or leave something on and drain the battery).

I am sure that they will get these new batteries figured out someday. I just don't plan to prototype for them at these prices out in the boonies on my 450 pound Adventure with no kick starter. Sorry, not very adventurous.....
bummer .. sounds like you got nailed by installing twice .. too small LiFePO4 batteries, which seems to be the most common reason for LiFePO4 failure.

almost all LIFePO4 listings for 990Adv will not be correct size. KTM engineers spec the smallest AGM battery they could get away with. 11AH AGM for a high compression 1,000 cc motorcycle is marginal.

BMW did the same thing with HP2 .. they spec a 11AH AGM for a 1,200cc motor or marginal at best.

so LiFePO4 mfg gets to believing their own promo and think that somehow their 18AH lead acid equivalent which is about 5AH actual can actually replace a 11AH AGM (which should have been a 14AH)

so during moderate weather bike starts just fine .. all is good until cold weather hits. then all of a sudden that way too small LiFePO4 falls flat on it's face. naturally the battery gets blamed .. when the actual fault is installing too small LiFePO4 battery.
_cy_ is offline   Reply With Quote