Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-09-2013, 07:11 AM   #3046
majorpayne
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12Bong13 View Post
Thanks for the info. Putting a windscreen for me is not an option as I use this bike only for technical trail riding.

I like the idea of more space for dash though. It would be good to be able to tuck the GPS in there.
Well there's a ton more room for a dash. I'll get a better pic of how much room there is now.
majorpayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 07:12 AM   #3047
majorpayne
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12Bong13 View Post
I saw on the Yahoo group that someone used a DR 650 front fork with raising links for the rear.

However there was no details in the post on what needed to be done.

Can anyone confirm this with pics and the work needed?
I'm interested in this as well.
majorpayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 07:12 AM   #3048
WarriorDog
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger seven View Post
That's a really nice bike but honestly the price seems a bit high to me. I bought a low-mileage 2000 Sherpa just about a month ago and while shopping around I saw a few really nice bikes that were in the $2500-2750 range and weren't selling. Bikes in the $2000-2500 range seemed to move pretty easily. I wish you the best of luck with the sale, but I know it can be tough. I just sold a 2011 KLR650 with less than 500 miles on it and I had to drop my price substantially to get a buyer. It's a brutal market right now, but I know a few people that have expressed interest in a Sherpa so I'll pass the link along. Good luck!

Derek

Thanks

A collective cowardice called Political Correctness has slowly stifled American Pride with a liberal brainwashing of shame and guilt.
WarriorDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 08:25 AM   #3049
ChicoProf
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 113
Air mixture?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sequoia View Post
Well I just fixed the lockout safety switch on the clutch it was backwards but that was not the problem.

I have cleaned out the cap & I actually enlarged some of the holes to help keep them from getting clogged so easy.

I did just fill up however & noticed the problem seemed to have got worse afterwards.
Sequoia, have you tried the air mixture adjusting screw? The standard Dr. Jekle mod says 2.75 turns out, but that may not be right for your bike. I had a local expert listen to mine and advise me yesterday, and it looks like at 2.75, mine was running far to rich (I am at 200 ft above sea level; might matter). That stupid screw is nearly impossible to reach, especially while the engine is running, but we got it leaned up a bit, and mine has significantly improved as a result. I will buy a tool that allows precise adjustment and try again. I do wonder if I should have left the jets alone, though. Am I the only one to think the bike generally ran better without the Dr. Jekle jet mod?

Of course, YMMV.

ChicoProf screwed with this post 09-09-2013 at 08:34 AM Reason: bolding to make a point
ChicoProf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 08:59 AM   #3050
ChicoProf
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorDog View Post
Thanks
I probably overpaid for mine, but live in California where they are hard to find: $3100 for a pristine 1100-miles on the odo, purchased 3 weeks ago. Of course, I also thought it was running perfectly, and the fuel cock began to fail the day I picked it, it's got a problem that seems to be just fuel-mixture issue, but still...

I think your price is just a little bit high in a non-CA market, unless you find someone who wants exactly your upgrades (shield and kouba links).

Best wishes for your sale!

ChicoProf screwed with this post 09-09-2013 at 03:42 PM Reason: details, details...
Old 09-09-2013, 09:31 AM   #3051
BigShooter
Head Flunky

Oddometer: 110
adding air valves

Anyone here ever drill and tap the fork tube caps and put Schrader valves in to play with the air-spring
BigShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 03:05 PM   #3052
Doc59
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicoProf View Post
Sequoia, have you tried the air mixture adjusting screw? The standard Dr. Jekle mod says 2.75 turns out, but that may not be right for your bike. I had a local expert listen to mine and advise me yesterday, and it looks like at 2.75, mine was running far to rich (I am at 200 ft above sea level; might matter). That stupid screw is nearly impossible to reach, especially while the engine is running, but we got it leaned up a bit, and mine has significantly improved as a result. I will buy a tool that allows precise adjustment and try again. I do wonder if I should have left the jets alone, though. Am I the only one to think the bike generally ran better without the Dr. Jekle jet mod?

Of course, YMMV.

Chico, I thought I was the only one. I did the jet mod a while ago, rode it once or twice then went back to the stock jets. From memory, yeah it warmed up quicker and maybe felt a bit better at high revs but lost too much mid range power for my liking.
Old 09-09-2013, 03:52 PM   #3053
ChicoProf
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc59 View Post
Chico, I thought I was the only one. I did the jet mod a while ago, rode it once or twice then went back to the stock jets. From memory, yeah it warmed up quicker and maybe felt a bit better at high revs but lost too much mid range power for my liking.
Good to hear. I actually think the warm up was more predictable before I installed the new jets, and I like that better. I think the mixture screw was misadjusted even before the mod, but I really didn't note where it was when I turned it in to prep for more precise turning it back out. I'm going to spend a few minutes soon to try to dial in the right mixture, but depending on how that goes, I'm switching back to the old jets as well.
Old 09-09-2013, 10:27 PM   #3054
ChicoProf
Gnarly Adventurer

Cheap saddlebags...

I wanted some small saddlebags that I could install without saddlebag racks (and I'm cheap), so found these at Amazon for under $11. Large enough to hold an iPad, a cover when I get one (hopefully), and/or camera, phone, etc. they are designed to go over the tank of an ATV, but they separate from the tank holder portion by Velcro. I used those Velcro straps to hook onto the frame under the seat, and will see if I need to use the stick on Velcro to retain the lower parts. It looks like they are well away from anything hot.

UPDATE (6 weeks later): I've removed these for now at least. The zipper on one side is completely shot. They were also scuffing up my side panels a bit, so if I reinstall, I'll likely add a smooth backing. Too bad; they've been handy for keeping my bungie net, snacks and water for long days, etc.

ChicoProf screwed with this post 10-30-2013 at 11:16 AM Reason: Update on product longevity
Old 09-10-2013, 06:22 PM   #3055
810H4Z4RD
Old n00b

Oddometer: 56
I wimped out and took my Sherpa to a shop for a fork oil change.

Pros:
- No more bottoming out on moderate bumps
- Far less diving when using the front brake
- Far less diving when turning / sustaining turns in gravel
- Generally smoother and more comfortable ride

Cons:
- No speedometer, as the mechanic managed to break the speedo sensor when he put the wheel back on.

It will be another 150 mile round trip to let them fix the speedometer sensor, but I get to skip a day of work and ride through Spearfish Canyon again so not all bad.
810H4Z4RD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 05:29 AM   #3056
tiger seven
Adventurer

Oddometer: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by 810H4Z4RD View Post
I wimped out and took my Sherpa to a shop for a fork oil change.

Pros:
- No more bottoming out on moderate bumps
- Far less diving when using the front brake
- Far less diving when turning / sustaining turns in gravel
- Generally smoother and more comfortable ride

Cons:
- No speedometer, as the mechanic managed to break the speedo sensor when he put the wheel back on.

It will be another 150 mile round trip to let them fix the speedometer sensor, but I get to skip a day of work and ride through Spearfish Canyon again so not all bad.
Spearfish Canyon is beautiful, so at least you have that to look forward to! Put new tires on my Sherpa recently and we (me and my friend, a semi-professional mechanic) managed to destroy the speedo sensor, despite the several dozen warnings I'd read on the internet and the multiple warnings I gave him during the procedure!

Glad to hear the fork oil change was a big improvement. I think that's something I'll be doing in the near future. Enjoy the ride through Spearfish and I hope the mechanic gets it right next time.

Derek
Old 09-11-2013, 05:51 AM   #3057
Hawk62cj5
2 Cheap 4 a KLR

Oddometer: 546
I have a new set of 244s coming in for my sherpa today , my trailwing has got right slick off road . Hope I dont brake my speedo , this will be the third time Ive took off the front tire . Glad your fork oil change helped , I changed mine a while back and it was nasty . It looked like mud in one of the forks in a brand new bike (bought it 7/12 with 0.1 miles on it )
Hawk62cj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 06:56 PM   #3058
BigShooter
Head Flunky

Oddometer: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicoProf View Post
I wanted some small saddlebags that I could install without saddlebag racks (and I'm cheap), so found these at Amazon for under $11. Large enough to hold an iPad, a cover when I get one (hopefully), and/or camera, phone, etc. they are designed to go over the tank of an ATV, but they separate from the tank holder portion by Velcro. I used those Velcro straps to hook onto the frame under the seat, and will see if I need to use the stick on Velcro to retain the lower parts. It looks like they are well away from anything hot.

I have been eyeing that same tank bag at Walmart to put on my KLR. They sell it under the Coleman name, but it says Maddog on the bag itsself. I was figuring on finding another bag of sorts to add in between the two side ones for the top of the tank. I might just go ahead and pick up two now and put one on the Sherpa as you did.
BigShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 08:45 AM   #3059
ChicoProf
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigShooter View Post
I have been eyeing that same tank bag at Walmart to put on my KLR. They sell it under the Coleman name, but it says Maddog on the bag itsself. I was figuring on finding another bag of sorts to add in between the two side ones for the top of the tank. I might just go ahead and pick up two now and put one on the Sherpa as you did.
Same bag, same packaging, then. I don't think my local walmart sells them, but this was sold and packaged as "Coleman"; not sure where the "
Maddog" came from. May scrub it off for a plain black look. Great price for the item. I'll pack them full and see if the position bugs me during a longer ride this weekend. I've just received a TCI Borrega rear rack, and i think these combination of these little guys plus that rack will handle my hauling needs.

UPDATE: zippers are cheap, and one no longer works at all just a few weeks later.

ChicoProf screwed with this post 10-30-2013 at 11:19 AM
Old 09-12-2013, 09:35 AM   #3060
McJamie
STROMINATOR

Oddometer: 1,206
I snuck the old girl into a Kawasaki triples meeting last weekend. I was polite, and tried not to embarrass them.......................................too much.