User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-09-2013, 07:46 AM   #1
whamp OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
CRF230L/M Carb Problem - Self Induced

So this is an embarassing thread to start but I have to cause at this point I'm totally stumped. There may be a couple points in this thread where you shake your head and say "Wow, what a newb". The truth is when it comes to Carb's and dirt /dual sports I am most definitely a totaly newb so please cut me some slack, but I will accept insults that come with good advice!

Anyway here is the issue. I bought a new pilot and main to rejet the carb on my 2009 CRF230M. Turns out, I confused the 230f and the 230L with regards to which is essentially the same as my bike, the 230m (it's the 230L not the F). I only discovered this error after having the whole bike stripped to get access to remove the carb and I had the float bowl off. I had purchased the pilot and main for a 230F which has a totally different carb. Unfortunately the directions I was following were also for a 230F and this got me quite lost.

I buttoned everything back up with the stock carb jets after realizing I was, in fact, an idiot. The bike wouldnt start. It took some diagnosing but i realized I wasn't getting any fuel into the float bowl. After a couple more cycles of disassembly/reassembly I realized I had installed the float upside down inside the float bowl. Once I fixed this the bike started right up. I was thrilled at redeeming myself and proceeded to head to the street for a celebratory wheelie. . . which is where I discovered the bike had no top and and no torque aynymore either.

I texted a friend and he suggested maybe I didn't have the float bowl screw back into its original spot. After inspecting this it turns out he was right, i didn't and it was all the way screwed in tight. However when i tried to take it back out to it's normal spot (5/8ths out from all the way in) the bowl just started draining all the fuel that was in it.

My question is how do I fix this? Is it possible when i screwed the screw in after draining the bowl I did it too tightly and broke something? If so what is the likely culprit that needs replacement (other than me).

Other background information is 3500 miles on the bike and it ran flawlessly until I decided to mess with it like a fool.
Help!!
whamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 09:19 AM   #2
bobfab
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,227
float bowl screw? AS in the drain screw, mark up a couple photos it would help immensely!
Old 09-09-2013, 09:58 AM   #3
whamp OP
Adventurer

Yes I think im referring to the drain screw. Here is a picture. I have some other pics of the carb internals I took as well ill try to post.
Old 09-09-2013, 10:02 AM   #4
whamp OP
Adventurer

The carb from the front installed. 30mm constant velocity stock Keihin carb

sent from my S4 on Tapatalk 4
Old 09-09-2013, 10:04 AM   #5
whamp OP
Adventurer

Figuring out that the float was upside down. Pic shows it properly installed.

Old 09-09-2013, 10:10 AM   #6
whamp OP
Adventurer

More internal pics

Old 09-09-2013, 10:11 AM   #7
whamp OP
Adventurer

The piece of macaroni I found when I opened the airbox the first time:

Old 09-09-2013, 10:20 AM   #8
bobfab
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,227
yes, that is the bowl drain screw, it should be kept all the way in to prevent it from draining the bowl. There is no adjustment for that, it is in (closed) or out (drain).

Sounds like you may have done something else. Did you put the jets back in the right respective spots (ie switch the main and the pilot?). Think simple.
Old 09-09-2013, 10:28 AM   #9
whamp OP
Adventurer

So I never ended up removing the jets because I realized my error before that. One thing I noticed was the drain screw was harder to turn before draining the bowl the first tine versus now it feels very free. Maybe that was just from build up and anyway as you said it supposed to be screwed all the way in.

Old 09-09-2013, 10:34 AM   #10
whamp OP
Adventurer

I did remove the metal cap on top of the carb at one point. There was a rubber seal and very loose/light spring underneath. Here is a picture of the cap

Old 09-09-2013, 02:39 PM   #11
Johnrunner89
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
I used to have a 2009 CRF230L and when I went to clean the carb I too discovered it had a different carb than the crf230f. It has a CV carb rather than a PV style carb like the "f" model and most other carb'd bikes. The piston valve carbs allow for a lot more "tuning" than the CV carbs but alot are more finicky to changes in elevation and minor changes. However, there ARE kits available for performance upgrades for the crf230L/M bikes.

Dyno jet sells one. That's the one I got for my carb.

Here it is on sale for $50
http://www.jcmotors.com/p-15321-dyno...x#.Ui5AEJU1bFI
Johnrunner89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 05:10 PM   #12
whamp OP
Adventurer

Re: CRF230L/M Carb Problem - Self Induced

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnrunner89 View Post
I used to have a 2009 CRF230L and when I went to clean the carb I too discovered it had a different carb than the crf230f. It has a CV carb rather than a PV style carb like the "f" model and most other carb'd bikes. The piston valve carbs allow for a lot more "tuning" than the CV carbs but alot are more finicky to changes in elevation and minor changes. However, there ARE kits available for performance upgrades for the crf230L/M bikes.

Dyno jet sells one. That's the one I got for my carb.

Here it is on sale for $50
http://www.jcmotors.com/p-15321-dyno...x#.Ui5AEJU1bFI
Awesome thanks and perfect timing. I had a buddy come over to strip it down again and get it working and it turned out the needle housing which is under the metal cap I showed in the last picture above had been seated just wrong. Its amazing how small of a difference makes a HUGE difference in carbed bikes. Anyway great learning experience and thanks for posting up guys. As bobfab guessed it was something really simple.
Old 09-09-2013, 07:43 PM   #13
frog13
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,238
Whamp,retain your positive attitude,you'll do well in life.
frog13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 11:47 AM   #14
whamp OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by frog13 View Post
Whamp,retain your positive attitude,you'll do well in life.
Thank you for the kind words!