Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-18-2013, 06:36 PM   #16
Hesaid OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 923
Thanks for the input. It looks like carbon/gripper is the choice of many, and I think it will be mine also. I like the colored stiching on some of those seats, but can't really think of anything that would really be worth it on a grey and black bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xaman View Post

Might want to tell them what bike, what kind of riding, and what material pants you generally wear.
This actually sounds like a really good plan, the only problem being, aside from the bike (which I'm pretty sure I know what it is), I'm fairly new to all of this, and don't really know yet what/how I'll be riding, and even what pants I'll be wearing. Pants are jeans for now, but I plan on some dedicated riding pants in the future. Though any seat would still have to be compatable with jeans, because, let's face it, I'll be on the bike in jeans. Hell, I'm hoping to be on the bike from time to time in my whatever-the-hell synthetic work pants as well. But those would be short trips. I don't think I'll ever be really aggressive in my riding, back roads and forest roads are more my style, but who knows what I'll feel like in a year or two. Nice thing about the Seat Concepts is that I can afford to change it out if I end up wanting something different down the road.

Again, thanks for the thoughts, and feel free to let me know any others.

MV
Old 06-18-2013, 07:59 PM   #17
SuperD!
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 204
I got the all carbon for my WR250R and I love it, but it is very slippery when wearing my Motoport cordura pants. Strangely it doesn't seem slippery at all when in jeans.
On my Husaberg I've got gripper top/carbon sides. I've only ever ridden it in the cordura pants, but it feels fine. Not too grippy or slippery & considerably less grippy than the stock seat.
Regardless, Seat Concepts seats are awesome! Best money I've spent on either bike.
SuperD! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 06:32 AM   #18
Electrified
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
What is the ADV discount code?
Electrified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 08:35 AM   #19
RENCRN8
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 242
I have the gripper top and carbon sides on my 450exc and my 950ADV. Interestingly enough the gripper material is different on both seats yet the carbon is the same. The gripper on the 450 is much grippier. I also went with orange stitching on both seats. Love them!

RENCRN8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 09:26 AM   #20
DuctTape
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 351
I have the Suede and really love the feel with the Klim Adventure britches.

2010 Ducati 1198S

DuctTape screwed with this post 09-08-2013 at 09:51 AM
DuctTape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 09:34 AM   #21
nwvic
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
Carbon/Gripper for me but if I had to do it again I would probably go Carbon/Carbon, the gripper really grips. However, after a little riding I'm pretty much used to the gripper now.
nwvic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 02:13 PM   #22
Stobie
Mr. Motivated

Oddometer: 1,852
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperD! View Post
I got the all carbon for my WR250R and I love it, but it is very slippery when wearing my Motoport cordura pants. Strangely it doesn't seem slippery at all when in jeans.
I got the all carbon on my 530 EXC and have the same experience. With my Klim mesh pants, I'm sliding all over the place; very fatiguing in the woods, fighting to stay put. With my Carhartt double-front canvas briar-busters, I don't slide around. I think I might order a gripper cover, but the suede is tempting.

Problems cannot be solved at the same level of awareness that created them.

-Albert Einstein
Stobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 02:30 PM   #23
yzmaico
Slacker

Oddometer: 301
I went with standard vinyl, I like a gripper on a 450 motocrosser but like the ease of moving around on the DR with the vinyl.
yzmaico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 03:32 PM   #24
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,780
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrified View Post
I don't remember, but I am sure there is a Seat Concepts thread in VENDORS, so look there.
Old 09-08-2013, 10:07 PM   #25
mxbundy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 857
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrified View Post

ADVRIDER.COM (all caps)

Check out http://seatconcepts.com/ , your ass will appreciate it!
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=621311
mxbundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 11:32 AM   #26
rsteiger
Bob

Oddometer: 170
Have a SC kit on my WRR and went with the all carbon.

Also have SC kits on my Beta 520 RR and KTM 450 EXC but with the gripper top and carbon sides.

IMHO the gripper top and carbon sides are the way to go. I have had my nuts jammed against the WRR gas tank too many times from either aggressive braking or rocks that I did not see early enough.
2001 GasGas XC250
rsteiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 07:35 PM   #27
Hesaid OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 923
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keithert View Post
I got whatever is their standard cover. I'm happy with that. I had to have them re-do is because the foam was too firm. It is still a bit firmer than I would like but is better. I want it as cushy as my Polaris ATV!
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwvic View Post
Carbon/Gripper for me but if I had to do it again I would probably go Carbon/Carbon, the gripper really grips. However, after a little riding I'm pretty much used to the gripper now.
Well, it has been hundreds, if not thousands of miles now on my carbon/gripper seat. And it's... ok. I think it's better than the factory seat, but not by the margin that I guess I was expecting from reading other's praises. I do think it's a bit on the firm side. I thought maybe it would break in a bit, but I haven't noticed it doing so. I'm glad I went with the carbon/gripper, it keeps me in place without making it difficult to move when I want to, so that part works out just fine. I still think it was worth the price, but I'm not sure if I'd pay more. I had been thinking that compared to everyone else's $300-$400 seat that this was a steal, now I'm wondering what the others feel like.

MV
Old 11-07-2013, 05:27 AM   #28
rpet
Awesometown

Oddometer: 809
I could take a softer foam in mine; I'm lighter than the average guy. My seat has 6500 mi with not much noticeable break in.
Read my homie's underway Africa trip RR - Round Africa with a Surboard
WTB: Clarke tank for DR650 for cheap - any color but blue.
rpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 07:04 AM   #29
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Oddometer: 5,367
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesaid View Post
Well, it has been hundreds, if not thousands of miles now on my carbon/gripper seat. And it's... ok. I think it's better than the factory seat, but not by the margin that I guess I was expecting from reading other's praises. I do think it's a bit on the firm side. I thought maybe it would break in a bit, but I haven't noticed it doing so. I'm glad I went with the carbon/gripper, it keeps me in place without making it difficult to move when I want to, so that part works out just fine. I still think it was worth the price, but I'm not sure if I'd pay more. I had been thinking that compared to everyone else's $300-$400 seat that this was a steal, now I'm wondering what the others feel like.

MV
I hear ya, the SC are priced right but a little firm for my tastes. They still have a ways to go to match an XPC or Renaczo but for about 1/2 the price it's a good deal.
RideFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 07:16 AM   #30
shil
deus ex machina

Oddometer: 157
Standard vinyl.
I ride a KLR.
shil is offline   Reply With Quote