Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-26-2013, 12:51 AM   #1561
ThumperStorm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,118
Quote:
Originally Posted by longfoot View Post
Are new pick-up coils available anywhere?
The pick-coils are part of the stator assembly and no one seems to sell those new. If you find out different, please post it here.

Your best bet might be a used one from ebay. Could take awhile to find one there.
Old 08-26-2013, 09:28 AM   #1562
Larry Ferguson
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by newt_sr View Post
Thanks guys (vudu, all I have is an '83 550, no 600). Larry, nice tip on marking the throttle. A buddy seems to think it's starving for fuel on the top end. Looks like I'll have to pull the carb and see if I missed something. Put some miles on it yesterday to see if it would 'magically' fix itself. Like I said before, it does fine in the lower rpm's. I can cruise at 55 easy enough but over that it starts acting up. Maybe I should just leave it alone. That way it'll keep an old fart like me out of trouble.
I had an intermittent problem on mine once. It turned out that one of the keepers in the plug for the CDI had broken, so that that wire wouldn't make consistent contact. I could have kissed the tech that discovered that! But I didn't. I did make sure the shop owner knew how pleased I was.

'01 Connie
'83 XT 550
'78 XL 350
'73 XL 250
'72 XL 250 (Needs "assembly")
Larry Ferguson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 10:52 AM   #1563
Bart
Constant Lurker

Oddometer: 2,955
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Ferguson View Post
I had an intermittent problem on mine once. It turned out that one of the keepers in the plug for the CDI had broken, so that that wire wouldn't make consistent contact. I could have kissed the tech that discovered that! But I didn't. I did make sure the shop owner knew how pleased I was.
Spark plug caps are another culpret.
Old 08-26-2013, 02:49 PM   #1564
longfoot
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Caps?

Spark plug caps? Are these bikes supposed to have caps on the spark plugs?
longfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 08:08 AM   #1565
steveloomis
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 300
These bikes came from Yamaha with a resistor type cap that snaps over the spark plug.
Old 08-27-2013, 09:18 AM   #1566
Bart
Constant Lurker

Oddometer: 2,955
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveloomis View Post
These bikes came from Yamaha with a resistor type cap that snaps over the spark plug.
I was trying to link a pic for you but my phone is not cooperating. You can buy aftermarket NGK ones cheap. The resitors go in them sometimes.
Old 08-27-2013, 04:31 PM   #1567
longfoot
n00b

Oddometer: 8
cap

Then if I am understanding you correctly, the sparkplug should not need the extra little thread-on metal cap that some older bikes needed. i don't think mine ever had one.
longfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 04:47 PM   #1568
steveloomis
Gnarly Adventurer

You are correct, the threaded part is to be exposed on the stock spark plug boot or cap. Some boots require the larger surface and need the little screw on cap.
Old 08-27-2013, 06:51 PM   #1569
steveloomis
Gnarly Adventurer

New programmable CDI for Early XT's

As promised I will report on a new programmable CDI for the Early XT's. This will not replace the newer TCI type of igniter with the plugs on the unit.

Mine is being shipped as I write this. It is fully programmable but is plug and play out of the box as it is already programmed with the stock advance. If you wish to customize the advance, set an RPM limit or adjust the minimum starting RPM you will need either a standalone programmer or a USB interface cable and software for windows. Software is included. Programmer or USB cable is optional extra.

Since I did not know when this unit would be available I ordered a Hyperpak from New Zealand because MY 86 XT600 was dead due to no spark. I ordered the hyperpak with the simplest wiring which means no kick stand switch or neutral switch wiring. Most of these old kick stand switches are defective and bypassed anyway so why waste time even wiring them in. I did have to bypass the neutral switch wiring at the cdi plug and move the black ground wire to the CDI black ground wire using female bullet connectors. Very easy and could be cut, twisted together soldered and taped just as well.

I was decidedly nervous when it came time to start the bike. I had pulled the spark plug so I could ground it and watch for a spark while kicking. At first NO spark as I was just using my hand to turn it over. I then kicked it and WOW a big blue spark appeared. Of course it started fairly quickly, but since I had rebuilt the carbs completely, things were a bit balky at first. Once it fired up I let it warm up and set the idle. Now it starts usually on the first kick if warm and second kick if it has been sitting for a day or so.

Next installment will be about the.......wait for it....... scroll down.....V

Zeeltronic PCDI-XT. It is not even listed on the web site yet. Mine is the first production unit serial number 1
Old 09-04-2013, 11:16 PM   #1570
Hatchet54
Horse with no name

Oddometer: 7
Can anyone give me advice on lowering my ride?

I need a solid 2" in the back.

I measured the monoshock at 19" eye to eye...logically I figure replacing it with a 17" unit would work.

Any ideas?

P.S. I'm slowly making my way through this abysmal thread
Old 09-05-2013, 12:37 PM   #1571
Larry Ferguson
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatchet54 View Post

I measured the monoshock at 19" eye to eye...logically I figure replacing it with a 17" unit would work.

Any ideas?

I think a 2" shorter shock would give you more than 2" of lowering. Measure the shock length while the weight of the bike is on it and again after pulling it down 2" for a more accurate measurement. You might be able to move the mount on the swingarm, which would be far cheaper than a $500 shock.

'01 Connie
'83 XT 550
'78 XL 350
'73 XL 250
'72 XL 250 (Needs "assembly")
Larry Ferguson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 04:58 PM   #1572
cookeal
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Eh? 5Y1 Head on a 34L engine?

After much messing around with engines I am nearly back to 'originals' - apart from one...

My first XT550 came with a 34L bottom end and a 550 (5Y1) barrel/head.

I have aquired a 34K02 barrel and piston which is now fitted to the 34L bottom end. The only head I have now is a 5Y1...

Its hard to find any information on what the differences might be - have found references to an increase in the ex.valve diameter from 30 to 31mm but that's about it, and I think that may apply to later models than the 34L.

Also as the bore size is obviously 3mm bigger would this not create an 'overhang' of 1.5mm all round... or does this not matter?

So my question (finally) is does anyone know whether I can drop the 5Y1 head on the 3K02 cylinder without problems?

Any info much appreciated...

Alex
cookeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 05:56 PM   #1573
sharkeysmachines
HusqvaYama XTC 550

Oddometer: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatchet54 View Post

Any ideas?

If you need experimental equipment, I have an original mono shock from a 1983 XT550. You are welcome to it, just pay for the shipping - let me know. I dissolved the mono shock on my bike - went old school;)
sharkeysmachines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 07:31 AM   #1574
byron555
Lame Duck Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,122
Bro-in-law changing the XT again

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-l...h360-no/Xt.jpg

He recently got a WR250x and wants to use it as his trail bike. So he swaped the 2000 yz250 front end on the XT with the WRx front end. In the end the XT will be a sumo...
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=997633
byron555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 12:35 PM   #1575
p0wn
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Hardwire ignition

I lost the key to my bike this morning. Which, given I just moved was pretty much inevitable. I'd like to hard wire a switch to it any how.

I took the ignition switch off and noticed a red, brown, blue/red, and 2 black wires. I think the red and brown need to be connected as those are from teh stator or something according to the diagram... which I'm not great at reading. I'm trying to figure out how the other 3 wires hook up.

Does anyone know this info?

Thanks. BTW earlier I had posted a question about putting a drz frontend on, and we were able to do that with no problem at all given a bearing set I ordered off of all balls racing. Disc brakes and a modern front suspension helps a lot!
p0wn is offline   Reply With Quote