Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Racing
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-14-2013, 02:32 PM   #16
tHEtREV
Captain Awesome

Oddometer: 7,069
I was going to do a few enduros on my old KLX250, but got to embarrassed to show up on an out of date trail bike.

Then I got a 200 EXC and finally entered my first enduro and found there was a big mix of bikes and I wouldn't have looked out of place on my old KLX.

Anyway, it wouldn't have mattered what bike I was on because I clipped a tree about 10 mins into the 4 hours and broke my thumb.

First and only race...

KDX Super Fan!

My Spot HERE (active and on a trip).
tHEtREV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 02:21 PM   #17
14fg
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 112
absolutely!
my love for dirt was rekindled by a klr250, I rode it to work all week then raced it sundays, want the secret to success? don't stop. I was able to do "decent" racing my klr by just chugging along and passing the fools that where winded, broken or just looking around.
14fg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 08:55 PM   #18
Jetstreamer OP
Sandlapper Brapper

Oddometer: 192
That settles it!

I'm filling out paperwork as I type this! I will keep posting here to catalog my prep process if anyone cares to follow. I hope anyone with experience will chime in with helpful tips! First on the list are new tires and according to NASA regulations the bike must be street legal for this rally. Popular opinion likes these:

Michelin AC-10

2009 XT250
Jetstreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 09:08 PM   #19
Jetstreamer OP
Sandlapper Brapper

Oddometer: 192
Next on the "To do" list: First Aid and Tools (On bike)

The rally regulations say...

A comprehensive first aid kit shall be carried. The first aid kit at a minimum must
include:
a) Antiseptic (ointment or liquid)
b) Gauze pads or rolls
c) Adhesive tape
d) Elastic/Ace bandage
e) Safety pins
f) Scissors
g) one “space blanket”
h) First aid manual.

I also must carry a "OK"/"+" sign to indicate my status if stopped and a reflective warning triangle.

As for tools (on bike as I race) I plan to have a CO2 inflator thingy, stock tool kit, small bottle of tire "slime", and a leatherman.

Is this missing anything? How is it carried/stored?

2009 XT250
Jetstreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 09:48 PM   #20
HalfFastMoto
bRad

Oddometer: 1,148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetstreamer View Post

A comprehensive first aid kit shall be carried. The first aid kit at a minimum must
include:
b) Gauze pads or rolls
c) Adhesive tape
d) Elastic/Ace bandage
e) Safety pins
f) Scissors
g) one “space blanket”
h) First aid manual.

I also must carry a "OK"/"+" sign to indicate my status if stopped and a reflective warning triangle.

As for tools (on bike as I race) I plan to have a CO2 inflator thingy, stock tool kit, small bottle of tire "slime", and a leatherman.

a. Yes, Oinkement is mandatory, recommend neosperm
b. Tampons work great
c. Duct tape works wonders
d. Check out VetWrap
e. Yep, plenty to choose from at the 5 & dime
f. Mack sure they're safety scissors, don't want anyone getting hurt
g. Milar blankets, readably available at your local Army surplus store
h. U.S. Army Survival manual a must

More truth than sarcasm above
12 Christini 450 Rally Lite
13 Christini 300 E
HalfFastMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 05:27 PM   #21
hardwaregrrl
You talkin' to me?

Oddometer: 6,886
Bum bag, or strap it to the tail of the bike. I carried a small pack with my H2O bladder and tools. Empty the sand out of the base of the emergency triangle. You'll need a small roadbook holder. They're around 25 bucks from Moose. Get a watch and strap it to the bars, you'll need a second hand but it's best to go digital. Bring a sack lunch when you go to noob orientation. Those mother fuckers like to talk. 3-hrs. But seriously, most of the shit that goes on in there involves the cars. Bunch of great guys/girls that race NASA. I think I've officially retired as it's just not cost effective for me. Have a blast! Oh, go ride in the sand, the most tore up sand roads you can find for training.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetstreamer View Post

include:
b) Gauze pads or rolls
c) Adhesive tape
d) Elastic/Ace bandage
e) Safety pins
f) Scissors
g) one “space blanket”
h) First aid manual.

hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 09:05 PM   #22
Reposado1800
Juicy J fan!

Oddometer: 5,740
The XT250 can do as good as anything else as long as no huge jumps are in the mix. Real tires and bark busters a must.
Old 09-01-2013, 03:26 PM   #23
KTRMN8R
Sand Camel

Oddometer: 1,211
Go Man Go!!!

2008 Sandblast Competitor

God Bless & Godspeed!

KTRMN8R screwed with this post 09-01-2013 at 06:38 PM
KTRMN8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 07:09 PM   #24
GREWUPIN_D11
GREWUPIN_D11

Oddometer: 57
Pare down on the tools

I rode the SandBlast this year on a F800GS, had a great time. XT250 will do fine, although a bit down on power compared to some of the competition. I recommend leaving all the tire repair stuff in your truck. Carry some big zip ties so you can tiewrap the tire to the rim to limp out if need be. Run normal highway tire pressure. In my opinion running low tire pressure in search of better traction is a waste of time, and leads to flat tires, which slows you down more than the mostly imaginary negative effect on traction does. My kit: some duct tape, tiewraps, wire, 4 inch longnose vicegrips, 12" crescent wrench for bending levers and pedals back into shape, also doubles as a hammer, and can be used on axle nuts.
GREWUPIN_D11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 08:09 PM   #25
Hypermofo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardwaregrrl View Post
Bum bag, or strap it to the tail of the bike. I carried a small pack with my H2O bladder and tools. Empty the sand out of the base of the emergency triangle. You'll need a small roadbook holder. They're around 25 bucks from Moose. Get a watch and strap it to the bars, you'll need a second hand but it's best to go digital. Bring a sack lunch when you go to noob orientation. Those mother fuckers like to talk. 3-hrs. But seriously, most of the shit that goes on in there involves the cars. Bunch of great guys/girls that race NASA. I think I've officially retired as it's just not cost effective for me. Have a blast! Oh, go ride in the sand, the most tore up sand roads you can find for training.
^^^^What she said... best advice +1

I also agree with GREWUPIN_D11 - pack light and beyond that don't worry about it too much. Just have fun.
Old 09-07-2013, 06:46 PM   #26
sweetwater
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 446
Sounds like fun to me! NCRacer and I are hoping to do the SandBlast on KLX250s in 2014. The missus even threatened to do it on her TW200. Why not?

We will run Adventure Lite Class and battle it out for last place...in front of those who DNF.

Tool kit suggestions sound spot on so far.
sweetwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 06:19 PM   #27
hardwaregrrl
You talkin' to me?

Oddometer: 6,886
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetwater View Post
Sounds like fun to me! NCRacer and I are hoping to do the SandBlast on KLX250s in 2014. The missus even threatened to do it on her TW200. Why not?

We will run Adventure Lite Class and battle it out for last place...in front of those who DNF.

Tool kit suggestions sound spot on so far.
Tool kit on the bike........zip ties, duct tape, and maybe a leatherman. You don't have the brain power or time to repair before or after a stage. Fix it at tech at your vehicle when you have awhole half an hour to mess more shit up. I recommend doing it.....I really loved it and hope to have a better year to at least do SB next year.

@Jetstreamer.

Tow the bike, borrow a truck or mooch a ride. I bet someone fairly close to you will be racing. It's too much to haul you gear and have you bike be your only mode of transport It's really not safe. You'll be wiped out from racing, seriously, you won't want to ride home. Even though it's a 3 hour ride. At least have a back plan if you crash your bike and it isn't rideable home.
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 01:00 PM   #28
sweetwater
Gnarly Adventurer

In another life I lived to race pushbikes. It is not a solo operation. The driving all over the place and the mechanical issues and the basic logisitics require some minimal support.

So, to mirror Hardwaregrrl, beg, borrow, or steal a ride to the event or you will be miserable trying to ride home. FWIW, Harbor Freight has the hitch packer/moto-carrier on sale right now for $114.00.

This is actually the reason I recruited NCRacer to go with me. He's young, fast, and good with a wrench. He works for beer, and he can drive my truck. Aside from smelling like a goat, he's a good travel companion.
Old 09-09-2013, 04:20 PM   #29
Ncracer79
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetwater View Post
In another life I lived to race pushbikes. It is not a solo operation. The driving all over the place and the mechanical issues and the basic logisitics require some minimal support.

So, to mirror Hardwaregrrl, beg, borrow, or steal a ride to the event or you will be miserable trying to ride home. FWIW, Harbor Freight has the hitch packer/moto-carrier on sale right now for $114.00.

This is actually the reason I recruited NCRacer to go with me. He's young, fast, and good with a wrench. He works for beer, and he can drive my truck. Aside from smelling like a goat, he's a good travel companion.
Sweetwater is only flaming me cause I will smoke his ass. I threatened to ride my klx to and from just to piss him off

To the original post. Do it. XT is fine. Just hold that throttle back and roll with it. Like someone else said make sure to play in some sand before you do it. Good steady pace. No need to break records or bones. Most likely you will beat sweetwater so you won't be last

Kelley
Ncracer79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 06:11 PM   #30
sweetwater
Gnarly Adventurer

Jetstreamer: 'Racer is right, I'm slow, easy prey, but what he didn't admit is that the last time we raced, I spanked him:

In spite of his propensity to corner sideways and wear ugly SEMA shirts, I got the best of him. What he also didn't admit was his propensity for falling over.

Now, to get the thread back on topic, I emailed Anders who advises dates for SandBlast Rally 2014 are soon to be released. I'm sure there will be a whole thread about the SB Rally, but I will keep watching this one too.

One more thing Jetstreamer: if you PM me an address I will send you a lil' care package to share with NCRacer should you meet him at the Rally. Just remember his propensity for falling over.