Old 09-09-2013, 12:32 PM   #81211
psmcd
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 977
loaner bikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapp22 View Post
gang -
got a project on my hands after loaning my DR out for a while... lots of issues.
thx
loaner bike retrieval video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fpyZ...ature=youtu.be
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=917156

I'm hoping to borrow a bike for some single track this weekend.
psmcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 01:09 PM   #81212
Zapp22
ZAPP - Tejas

Oddometer: 13,728
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTB488 View Post
DIsconnect the fuel line from the carb and turn the petcock to the PRIME position.
thanky JTB!
Zapp22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 01:11 PM   #81213
Zapp22
ZAPP - Tejas

Oddometer: 13,728
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Rocket View Post
Never a leak from the Raptor petcock in 5 years+
FOUND. its the seal. I guess the tank, just getting old and being in broiling sun so much moved just enough that it no longer seals with that puny Raptor gasket. filled it up with water and pressed on it some and it immediately id'd itself - along the inner edge.

so now the question: what to use for added gasket to seal it up TIGHT ? need reco's
Zapp22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 01:55 PM   #81214
furiouslyalex
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
Hi all, Going to be in this thread a lot soon!

I'm buying a 2006 DR650 with 4500 miles on saturday.

Its been sitting in a garage for almost 2 years on a battery tender.

Was wondering what some general maintenance tips were for it when I get it back home?

Thanks!
furiouslyalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 02:04 PM   #81215
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 9,262
Quote:
Originally Posted by furiouslyalex View Post

Was wondering what some general maintenance tips were for it when I get it back home?

Thanks!
Congrats and welcome.

First thing will be the fuel system. Hope the previous owner kept things fresh or maybe ran it out of fuel in the carb before putting it away for that long.
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 02:27 PM   #81216
FirstPath
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,277
Frugal Rear Shock Upgrade

Just got back from 1700 mile trip on the DR. With fill wolfman bags and duffle the stock rear shock was just too soft despite preload maxed out. What do you guys recommend? Manly paved and dirt road useage. Doesn't need to be race ready but stiffer would be great. Nearly tipped the bike over tightening down the luggage!
Old 09-09-2013, 03:06 PM   #81217
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstPath View Post
Just got back from 1700 mile trip on the DR. With fill wolfman bags and duffle the stock rear shock was just too soft despite preload maxed out. What do you guys recommend? Manly paved and dirt road useage. Doesn't need to be race ready but stiffer would be great. Nearly tipped the bike over tightening down the luggage!
If you're on a budget ... then next step would be a stiffer spring. I'd hound the Flea Market section and find a used one. Springs don't wear out or get soft.

Chose a shock spring based on your weight. Also consider you may not be carrying a big load all the time ... so a compromise must be reached to find stiffness that will work adding additional pre-load with bags on board ... yet with pre-load reduced will be fine for solo riding sans luggage.

Next step would be to have your shock re-worked for better rebound damping ... or buy another aftermarket shock.

Forks
Don't forget fork springs. If you're doing the rear shock ... you need to match spring rates in the forks for balance. Once again ... don't go too stiff.

Thousands of posts here and on the Index threads on suspension set up.
I'd recommend reading as much as you can stand.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 03:11 PM   #81218
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by furiouslyalex View Post

Thanks!
Find out what you can from owner ... If the bike will not start or runs rough then you'll know you've got work to do to clean up carb and flush out fuel tank. If it's running OK then sounds like fresh fuel is in there and the PO took proper care during storage. Big Plus on that!

Once you get her home ... just for laughs I'd drain and flush the fuel tank.
I'd also flush the Carb Bowl a few times and run Sea Foam or the other additives for a couple tanks.
Change oil and filter, check chain and sprockets and brake pads and you're good to go.

Be sure to safety check the bike before test riding.

Welcome and good luck with the new Baby!
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 05:09 PM   #81219
Slideways#96
scooter trash

Oddometer: 559
790 kit reliability issues

Anyone running a 790 kit and if so what has reliability been and other mods that need to be done for kit to perform. Did a search on "790" and nothing popped up. Sorry if topic has been covered before but seriously considering building a KTM slayer vs buying a 950 SE.
Slideways#96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 05:39 PM   #81220
TrophyHunter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,212
http://floost.com/advrider-post-dist...-build-2194852

Might be some help here...^^^^^ I know PC sells the kits but he's put his thru it's paces for a while and I haven't read any problem posts.

"It's a small amount of gas, but it represents a long walk" My Dad...
TrophyHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 05:52 PM   #81221
Slideways#96
scooter trash

Oddometer: 559
Thanks for 790 post. Unfortunately unable to open on a mobile unit. Will take a good look on home computer.
Slideways#96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 08:18 PM   #81222
poppawheelie
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapp22 View Post
are you talking about the frame/rail bumper that the tank sits on?
its been years since my DRZ so I don't remember what all that looks like
How did you find the hole? light? or was their 'varnish' nearby.

I'll post some pics shortly.. its quite baffling
Yes, the frame/rail bumper wore through the tank, because it was mounted loose. I found the hole by filling the tank up high enough, above the hole, when off the bike.
Regarding your other question: GASKET MATERIAL FOR THE PETCOCK. Any auto carburetor gasket material, including thick cork if the surface is irregular. Inner tube rubber (it's really synthetic rubber) also works fine. No, ethanol in the gas won't dissolve it. I put some small cut pieces in a jar of gas and let it set for a year.

"It's not the destination. It's the journey." Me
poppawheelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 08:25 PM   #81223
GSF1200S
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 976
Wow. This is quite possibly the weirdest and shittiest thing I have ever had happen to me. I'm posting here to see what you guys think I should do next.

I went to clean my air filter as i was coming up on about 1800 miles and I like to do things early. I'm on the road, so I spent some time gathering kerosene, a cheap metal bucket, etc. I pull the filter and notice what no shit appears to be a NEST that a small bird tried to make in my air box. It has part of my sheepskin seat pad, part of small twigs and PART OF THE OUTER LAYER OF MY TWINAIR FILTER woven into a little ball directly under one of the 2" holes I made in the air box. I will post a picture when I get WiFi for the laptop.

So basically, the outer layer of the filter in one spot is gone. I've been riding solo in dirt How fucked am I at this point? The bike seemed to make normal power today, and of course I won't ride it until a new filter is put on but.. what else do I do?

Fml
GSF1200S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 08:30 PM   #81224
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,656
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSF1200S View Post
Wow. This is quite possibly the weirdest and shittiest thing I have ever had happen to me. I'm posting here to see what you guys think I should do next.

I went to clean my air filter as i was coming up on about 1800 miles and I like to do things early. I'm on the road, so I spent some time gathering kerosene, a cheap metal bucket, etc. I pull the filter and notice what no shit appears to be a NEST that a small bird tried to make in my air box. It has part of my sheepskin seat pad, part of small twigs and PART OF THE OUTER LAYER OF MY TWINAIR FILTER woven into a little ball directly under one of the 2" holes I made in the air box. I will post a picture when I get WiFi for the laptop.

So basically, the outer layer of the filter in one spot is gone. I've been riding solo in dirt How fucked am I at this point? The bike seemed to make normal power today, and of course I won't ride it until a new filter is put on but.. what else do I do?

Fml
At least the nest didn't get drawn into the engine like on the F650GS I saw once. Just get a new filter and be happy you noticed in time.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 08:31 PM   #81225
TrophyHunter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,212
Find a Hibachi....& the bird.

The filtering characteristics of a careful blend of foam, wool and sticks has been documented somewhere on this thread I'm sure.

Safe as you can be...? Empty the carb float bowl, clean what you can reach when you get the old filter out, change your oil and filter. Might be overkill.

Waiting for pics.

"It's a small amount of gas, but it represents a long walk" My Dad...
TrophyHunter is offline   Reply With Quote