Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-25-2013, 08:16 AM   #31
SurfnnRide OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 128
Like a big, heavy POS. lol! Only reason I had apes is because I'm 6'7 and the stock bars killed my neck after 50-60 miles. With my arms up (at shoulder height) I didn't have any numbness issues or problems and I could ride for hours and hours. Handled fine for the big heavy POS it is.

I did 1,100 miles in 15.5 hours on the way back with no problems beyond what anyone would experience doing 1,100 miles in one day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallastx View Post
How does that ride, a full-dresser with an apehanger bar? Looks silly, but hey if it's comfortable to ride.........

2014 Uganda to South Africa and Back! http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=966306

SurfnnRide screwed with this post 01-14-2014 at 06:10 PM
SurfnnRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 10:13 AM   #32
dallastx
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 401
Okay, thats fine! I had several Harleys, but I liked the FXDX with a comfort Sundowner seat the best for long distances, even better then the FLHT(stolen...) I had. Jeez, Id wish I still had that bike today....

XT660Z Tenere '08 http://dallastx.smugmug.com

Visit www.xt660.com and www.hank3.com
dallastx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 10:15 AM   #33
SurfnnRide OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Day #15 - Bryce Canyon NP, Escalante Grand Staircase NP & Capitol Reef NP

Once again wake up to creaking bones, super stiff bodies and geriatric movements more suited for a 80 year old than a 38 year old.

I make a mental note to stop with the hikes as it's taking a toll on me and at this point we're 50% of the way through the trip and we've only tackled 13% of the mileage (800 of 6,000 miles). Seriously need to step it up.

Pack everything up and get ready to roll. Go to swing my leg over the bike and TTWWAAANNG goes the lower back. Did I just throw out my back?

Yup! Should have stretched before getting rolling this morning. Make another mental note to start stretching a lot more.

No options at this point but to suck it up and pound a bunch of advil.

Pretty much every bump from the next 2 days was shooting lighting bolts up my spine. Brilliant. Oh well... roll on....

Get back on scenic highway 89 and starting peeling north until we get to the 12. Both the 89 and 12 are nice windy roads that you can put the throttle down on and fly through. Enjoyable ride with nice scenery but we were still in 90+ degree temps so we're trying to bang the miles quickly.

Roll into Bryce Canyon and this place is pretty dope. Very unique rock formation/erosion that sets up a pretty spectacular view.

Bryce Canyon looking to the left:

">

Bryce Canyon to the right:

">

Love this Pana Shot:

">

Mama & Bryce:

">

Peaceful:

">

There was other viewpoints and places to hike but I wanted nothing to do with that with how my back felt. Time to roll on to the next destination...

Capitol Reef!

What we didn't know was right on the 12 highway there is another National Park that you drive right through called Escalante Grand Staircase National Park.

That ended up being a nice little surprise as it was twisty roads all the way with a nice change up of white rocks and red rocks with trees too. There was a river running through here and a deep red rock canyon that campers and other people were hanging out at. Looked really pretty but we didn't have time to stop and check it out.

The roads heading into EGSNP:

">

Parts of Escalante:

Sweeping fast turns:

Some a little tighter:

So far on this trip we've been dodging every monsoon and storm we come across. Somehow we just keep missing them even though they've been to our left, right, behind and in front of us. We pull into our hotels, check in and then it starts dumping. The weather gods have been smiling on us this entire trip as storms have been everywhere....

Well.... eventually all good things come to an end and as you can see in this pana pic we're heading right for a doozy on the right...

">

I'm holding out hope that we'll somehow the road will turn once again and we'll dodge that storm but we just keep heading towards it...

">

And into it we went. Fully rain suited up and it was pummeling us.

I guess the rain gods just wanted to let us know that they are in control for just a couple minutes because we turned a corner and BAM!

Burr Trail Grill!!! HELL YES!!!

This place is in the middle of nowhere so I was not expecting this. Apparently we weren't the only ones with this idea as there was 3 or 4 other bikes there waiting out the storm along with some cars and trucks.

">

Saw this on the menu and had to order it.

">

Hot/Good food and a dry environment makes mama a happy camper!

">

Food was great and the service was excellent if you ever pass this place. Highly recommended!

Waited out the storm for about an hour and then loaded back up and hit the road.

To be continued.....

2014 Uganda to South Africa and Back! http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=966306

SurfnnRide screwed with this post 09-15-2013 at 12:00 AM
Old 08-29-2013, 10:55 AM   #34
SurfnnRide OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Heading to Capitol Reef:

So more miles of twisty fun with nice scenery all along the way. Some mountain passes and some canyon rides. All and all a fun section of highway to blast down on Highway 12.

Get to Capitol Reef and pull into Fruita Campground.

It's a little oasis in the middle of this desert environment and they have a apple pie bakery and restaurant there but we got in to late to get any.

Instead we raided the orchards for apples and some not ready pears. We had some trail bars and other things to munch on and that would constitute our meal for the night.

Good day of miles and we were only staying here for one night. We took a lot of pictures but they got lost (I'll tell that story later)...

So all I have is two pics from Capitol Reef. Bummer because it was a beautiful area with huge red cliffs everywhere and canyons too.

Orchard & Cliffs:

View out of the tent:

Route taken for the day: Ignore the yellow line out to cedar city. Route on the way back.

Coming up... Day 16 @ Moab & Bike/GPS Problems

SurfnnRide screwed with this post 08-29-2013 at 11:31 AM
Old 08-29-2013, 12:47 PM   #35
danh600
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 281
Nice ride report.

Great pictures and narrative. The thought of you plowing up the trail not yielding makes me laugh.
danh600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 10:25 AM   #36
SurfnnRide OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Day # 16 - Moab

Rolled out of the tent early and off we went. Not a super long day but still 250 miles in 95+ degree heat again. At this point I'm starting to be over the desert heat and I'm ready to get up into the mountains.

Still have 3 days planned in Moab so need to shove that thought down and enjoy what the Moab area has to offer.

The drive from Capitol Reef to Moab had some scenic twisty roads. 24 highway was fun until you hit the 70. Only had to do 15 miles on I-70 until we hit highway 191. I-70 and the 191 are ZZZZZZzzzzzz......

Mama getting artsy fartsy on a break. Yes I was born ass deficient.

So we make it the 250 miles and we're in Moab. I know we are going to be at a nice resort with a fridge so we stop and get groceries. We load up since we'll be here 3 days and then we hop back on the bike.

Granted it's been a HOT 250 miles (almost 100 degrees) so we're pretty much over the bike as it's now noon and the sun is cooking.

GPS takes us north out of town and we're reeling off the miles to Red Cliffs Lodge. GPS says it's another 35 miles out of town. Sounds a bit high since I think the ads said 15 miles out of town. The GPS has been off by quite a bit a few times so I don't think twice about it since it's got us to our destination every time.

Welllll..... That was error #1. So we go 35 miles and then it tacks on another 20 out of no where. I'm thinking WTH? OH well. Sucks but we'll keep banging.

That was error #2

Get to the destination and then it magically recalibrates and now says we are 55 miles away from Red Cliffs Lodge BACK THE SAME WAY WE JUST CAME.

Nothing else to do but spin the bike around and go back.

I think at this point Mama turned the volume way down on her Sena Headset because there was more swear words coming out of my mouth than anything else

Another 110 mile detour to make our days ride 360 miles instead of 250.

Anyhoo.... Got to Red Cliffs and oh man was this just what I needed after 16 days in 95+ degree heat and this long/hot/BS day.

Beautiful scenery, winery at the resort, good food, air conditioning, Colorado river running right by and a friggen POOL!!! HOT DAMN!!! I think I just found HEAVEN!

The Pool:

View out our Patio:

View from the Restaurant/Back Patio:

Mama having a well deserved cocktail:

Had some big lightning storms our first night:

Got to love Utah Beer. Polygamy Porter. "Why have just one!!"

Great place to have a wedding:

Pretty sunrise the following morning....

Days Route with Green line showing detour:

Day 17 to come... Arches National Park

SurfnnRide screwed with this post 06-03-2014 at 05:24 PM
Old 09-03-2013, 12:50 PM   #37
SurfnnRide OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Day #18 - Arches National Park

Got another early start to the day as we are thoroughly over this heat wave and 100 degree heat. Hitting stuff up is way better when it's only 90 degrees at 7 a.m.

Load up and make the short ride over to Arches National Park.

Beautiful park with all sorts of odd rock formations, arches and balanced rocks.

Mostly pics for you for today....

Driving in:

Balancing Rock:

Skinny Tall Rock Formations. I think this was Cathedral something or another. At this point we've seen so many tall cliffs/canyons that we are starting to get lazy on recording or remembering names of places....

Don't know what this one was called either so my wife called it Cock Rock:

We did a 4 mile round trip hike to see Landscape Arch and that was worth it. Pretty crazy formation made from wind/water erosion.

Double Arch: There was a few arches like this but the temp was over 100 again so we didn't even bother to get off the bike. Most everyone else was making the 2 mile roundtrip hike to stand in the arch or take closer pics. Kind of over it at this point....

Some arch/cave formation thing-a-ma-bob....

At this point I'm seeing beutiful rock formations but I'm just thinking Beer and Cold Pool.

Had enough at this point and we jam back to Red Cliffs Lodge.

We spend Day #18 at red cliffs too just soaking up the AC, Pool time and a few bottles of wine from the winery on the lodges property. Had one of the best Cab's I've ever tasted there. Good stuff

On Day 18 I stop to fill gas I notice that my rear tire is SHOT. It had about 75% of the tread left when we departed and I figured that would have been good enough for the whole trip, especially since we're not even 1/4th of the way yet, but I guess not.

Apparently the combination of scorching hot asphalt, a heavy throttle hand and the extra weight vaporized the vast majority of my tire tread.

I have an extra set of E3's at home so I call my brother and he helps me out big time by overnighting those tires to the HD shop in Vernal. There wasn't any other HD shops around so my next destination (Mirror Lake) gets cancelled and now we'll be going on a tour of Vernal instead...

Day # 19 Vernal to....

Got up the next day and busted 190 miles to Vernal. A fun ride through parts of colorado and then back into Utah. Crossing mountain passes and fun/fast twisty roads. We took the 128 out of Moab to the 70 to the 139.

The 139 had some fun twisty mountain passes with some good views through Northwestern Colorado. It was pretty much a fun ride for most of the way until we crossed back into Utah and then it was straight and hot again all the way to Vernal City.

Here was the highlight of Vernal....

That was it... Super fun... Or something...

Got the tires swapped in an hour and then back on the road. I was seriously OVER this friggen heat and I knew we had nothing but higher elevation mountain riding for the next 4-5 days. I was sooo looking forward to riding in 70-80 degree heat instead of 90-105+.

Swung out of Vernal and took the 191 North. FUN highway that went through the Flaming Gorge National Rec Area and Dam. Didn't get pics from there but it was a beautiful, mountainous highway with nice views. ELEVATION TOO so the temps cooled off a lot.

We're trying to make it as far as we can to our next destination but after we hit the 300 mile mark (of slow twisty roads) we needed a break and stopped at the "World Famous Saddelite Saloon" in Rock Springs Wyoming. Nice bartender lady we chatted with for an hour or so.

We were there pretty early so it wasn't exactly "hopping" in there but it was a fun bar and a little later some locals came in and another rider so we BS'ed with all of them for a bit.

Mama by this point was getting a little homesick so she had to play California Love by Tupac, Californication by the chili peppers and Going back to Cali by Biggy Smalls. Only thing she missed was Hotel California. You can see her in the pic above laying down some homesick beats at the jukebox.

Decided that we should try to get further. Mama was down to stay in Rock Springs but I kind of wanted to get a few more miles down so off we went.

Final destination for the night? Fabulous Pinedale Wyoming! Woot woot!! 191 Highway took us all the way there.

I was kind of bummed because I really wanted to see Mirror Lake and the waterfalls there but oh well. So is life on the road and you have to adjust as you go.

I give mama credit though. 400 miles today of mostly windy/twisty roads. We were in the saddle from 6 a.m. until sometime after 8 PM. 13 hours in the saddle (hour to change tires).

If we had chosen to ride interstates instead of all these twisty highways we could have knocked out 800+ miles today with 13 hours of saddle time but who likes to ride interstates?

Route for the Day. Yellow is what we did. Red is what we were supposed to do. If anyone does this trip in the future the red route is probably more scenic with more things to check out and it's mostly mountain riding with cooler temps.

Slowly but surely we're working our way back to the original route! Today was Utah to Colorado back to Utah to Wyoming. Fun roads for 70% of the day!

Day #20 coming soon....

SurfnnRide screwed with this post 09-15-2013 at 12:00 AM
Old 09-09-2013, 05:04 PM   #38
SurfnnRide OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Day #20: Pine Valley to....

We were super tired last night so we didn't really look hard for a nice place so Best Western it was.

Got up early again the next morning as I was ready for some more fun roads and nice scenery. Mountains on my mind...

Start heading north on the 191 again and pretty quickly we turn right on the 189 North. Just hauling along southern Wyoming enjoying the views. Weather is right around the low 80's so things are pretty damn good right now

Wind is a bit rough along the way and we're doing the lean left move as we plow through the miles. I really didn't care at all though because it wasn't hot.

Get to our first break point at Jackson Hole Wyoming and decide to check out this place we've heard about called The Cowboy Saloon.

Fun place with tables and some unique bar stools. Ride em Cowgirl!

I made sure to be on good behavior here as I did not want to end up Bitch Creek without a paddle:

Met some crazy Aussies here that we're on their way to Sturgis too. They started off as a group of 6 that rented bikes in San Fran to ride to Sturgis.

Well after the first 400 miles they had many problems because they all drive on the left side of the road and some of their group was driving down off ramps on the freeway!

Not to mention one of the guys tells me he has ridden a motorcycle up and down a street ONE TIME before doing this trip.

They ended up ditching 3 of the people in their group because they were going to slow or driving down the wrong side of the road and told them to just meet up with them in Sturgis...

I don't know if they made it or not because we got their phone #'s and when were at Sturgis we tried to get in touch with them but no luck.

Hope they are alright!

Saw some nice views on the way to our destination:

And then we were there.... The Grand Tetons!

Got back on the road and banged our way to the Colter Bay Cabins and as usual we were too early so we strolled down to the lake and took some more pics... Pictures once again will never do this justice!

After an hour or two of relaxing by the lake we went back up and checked in and then went out to get some dinner....

Immediately something special caught my eye....

So of course I have to order them for the Mrs!

Called it a night and started to plan tomorrows adventure.

To be continued....

SurfnnRide screwed with this post 09-14-2013 at 11:58 PM
Old 09-09-2013, 05:24 PM   #39
SurfnnRide OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Day #21... Fun around the Grand Tetons...

Woke up this morning and we decided on different adventures.

I wanted to ride up to this summit to get a view of the lake and mountains and she wanted to go on a hike so we went our different ways and agreed that we'd meet back up around 9:00

I busted up to summit point and the view wasn't all that great due to the trees blocking most of the views. I won't bore you with those photos but I did see a Mule Deer on the way up:

Mama had a bit more exciting of a morning as she went on a hike and almost ran into a Bear on her own. Luckily a couple coming back told her in advance so she stopped there and went right back the way she came. Can't blame her since there are Black Bears and Grizzlies here.

We got together again and commenced with the days adventure. Something I hadn't done since I was probably 10 years old:

And yes that is champagne in the bucket

City slicker mama picked it up pretty quick too and away we went:

In one of the bays we got a nice treat and spotted one of our nations most iconic symbols. The Bald Eagle!

That was pretty cool.

Rowed around a bit more and the champagne was a flowing!

A little too much to say the least....

To be continued....

SurfnnRide screwed with this post 09-10-2013 at 02:30 AM
Old 09-10-2013, 03:41 AM   #40
robcig
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 108
Damn Aussies....how funny was that; riding down the wrong side of the road!!
robcig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 08:58 AM   #41
SurfnnRide OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I think a lot of it had to do with them getting on the piss too much! lol

Cool people. Wish we could have met up with them in Sturgis

Quote:
Originally Posted by robcig View Post
Damn Aussies....how funny was that; riding down the wrong side of the road!!

Old 09-10-2013, 11:04 AM   #42
Dubl-A
CHATA FUKUP!

Oddometer: 1,561
Haha, funny report!!
Dubl-A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 09:58 AM   #43
SurfnnRide OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Day #22... Grand Tetons to Yellowstone

Not really any rush today as we're just going to Yellowstone and that is maybe 70 miles away.

Get rolling around 9 or so and make the casual stroll up to Yellowstone.

Some beautiful views on the way in:

And some cool waterfalls:

Lewis Falls:

Gibbon Falls:

Kepler Cascades:

I had done some research on Yellowstone and there is 3 historic hotels in the park. The Old Faithful Inn, Mammoth Springs in and the Yellowstone Hotel.

I figured why not pamper mama a bit and stay at these three places. I had to book them a long time in advance to get a room so I figured this should work out good.

We get to the the Old Faithful Inn around 11 or so and are greeted with Old Faithful in all her glory.

The Inn itself was pretty cool. All constructed from huge logs that created a big main room where a guy was strumming a fiddle

We get checked in and the decide that it's time to get out of dodge because it was a absolute ZOO at the Old Faithful Inn. Japanese tour busses, thousands of tourists etc...

I should have thought of this before booking this place because even though major beauty was all around us it felt more like disneyland than yellowstone. As I mentioned before I don't do well with crowds so this wasn't sitting well.

I asked a park ranger about this and he said 75% of the people are gone if you come in April/May or Sept/Oct so if you'd like to have WAY less people go outside of the summer months.

This was a theme we dealt with the entire time we were in Yellowstone.

We figured it out after day 1 and from then on we got up at dawn to see the sights and then we'd be done by 10-11 am when all the Japanese tour busses started showing up.

They did find GringoZilla quite interesting though!

So we headed back out to go check out some of the famous sites near old faithful like the Grand Prismatic Springs which is a thermal vent bacteria pool that is superheated so all these crazy bacterial colors come out. There is no "skin" or "filter" on this shot. That's really what it looks like.

There were also random Blue pools all over that looked like a bowl of windex:

Hiked over to "Morning Glory" to see another super colorful pool but apparently douchnozzle tourists throw coins, bikes, trash in the pool which blocks the thermal vents and that in turn changes the temps and certain bacteria die off.

This pool used to have all the colors of the rainbow and now it's left with this. Still pretty cool though!

To be continued....

SurfnnRide screwed with this post 09-12-2013 at 12:25 PM
Old 09-18-2013, 08:51 PM   #44
robcig
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 108
OK, what's next??
robcig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 11:15 AM   #45
SurfnnRide OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Day #23/24 - Old Faithful to Mammoth Hot Springs to Yellowstone Hotel (Yellowstone)

So we're doing one day in each place since it's only 45 miles between each hotel. Easy 3 days in yellowstone with short/slow rides between places. Gives us plenty of time to sight see and relax.

There is a waterfall on the way from the old faithful inn to mammoth springs called Fairy Falls so we decided to hit that up.

As usual we go early to avoid the crowds so we were the only ones hiking out to the falls that morning. No bear spray so just did the usual loud talking, hand clapping etc.. to let the locals know we were coming through.

Nothing to exciting on the hike. Got to the waterfall and it wasn't gushing by any means but it was kind of cool.

Here I am in Bear Killer mode with my beat stick and multitool knife to save mama when yogi bear comes for his PB&J sandwich.

Hung out there for 45 minutes or so and headed back. By the time we got halfway back the crowds were already on their way. If you go to yellowstone during this time of the year early and late hikes are the best times to see things.

Got back on the bike and rolled on. You have to be careful on the roads here not only because of the wildlife. It's the gawking tourists who stop in the middle of the road that will get you. They just slam on their brakes when they see anything without considering the people behind them. Cutting across the road right in front of you etc...

Anyhoo... This is when we saw our first buffalo but we didn't get pics because it was too far away. Got to see some big elk too but there was 200 tourists already surrounding the elk so we kept going and figured we'd see another one later.

Kept rolling on our way to Mammoth Springs...

To be continued...