ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-07-2013, 07:10 AM   #151
wvrocks
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 595
I'm out :-/
Old 09-07-2013, 07:21 AM   #152
WVhillbilly
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,039
You have to do grown up stuff too?
WVhillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 05:10 PM   #153
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,340
Pulled back to the house right at 7:30. Left out of here around 6:30 this morning, and think I got there right about 12:30. Long day, and yes, my butt is sore. Good warm up run for the trip to Lake George, NY in a couple of weeks. My long distance bones are out of shape.

Regardless, Stedlo (Steve) and 50bluedirt (Andy) were already there and had their orders placed. I opted for something quick and fast (chili and corn bread) because I had to make a quick turnaround so I could get back to let the dogs of of their crates. Sean, the fella that bought Mike's Strom pulled in when I was out feeding my habit.

Sorry, my head was elsewhere being concerned about getting back to take care of the dogs, so no food or bike pix, but did get some people shots of those present:

Would have been nice if a few more folks showed up, but we had a good time anyway.

Old 09-07-2013, 06:02 PM   #154
pnoman OP
Just Average

Oddometer: 2,005
Glad you guys had a great day for riding. Sorry I couldn't be there. We stopped in Morgantown so I could practice organ for tomorrow, then headed up to the Brook County Fair (just north of Wheeling). I think "Fairs" should include animals, like livestock, horses, goats, pigs, chickens, bunnies, etc. This one had a small petting zoo, but the midway rides and the truck mud-bog was about it for entertainment. Oh well. Nice drive up and back through the SW Pennsylvania countryside. Stopped at "Hog Fathers BBQ" in Washington PA. Not bad, but I like Martin's BBQ in Morgantown better. Kind of a disappointing day with the fair and food, but a great day spent with the wife driving thru the pretty countryside. All in all - Great!
My Website - Europe, Alaska, US Bike Rides
www.RidingWV.com
pnoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 09:54 PM   #155
6USMC6
R.I.P. Party Boss

Oddometer: 4,437
Quote:
Originally Posted by twohawks View Post
Yeah mike, hope it heals quickly, let me know if we need to come across the mountain and help with anything!
I'll hollar Mike. Thanks for the offer.

"For those who fight for it life has a flavor the protected never know."
USMC 65-68 RVN 66-67
6USMC6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 07:16 AM   #156
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6USMC6 View Post
I'll hollar Mike. Thanks for the offer.
Missed you yesterday, but trust you're on the mend and will be back in the saddle shortly.

Old 09-09-2013, 09:21 AM   #157
brokeagain
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 203
Thanks!

Thanks for the invite down Mike, sorry you couldn't make it! And, nice to meet you other fellas (at Rella's... heh).

Route 20 got really fun, really quick after passing through the towns on Rt. 33 on the way to the diner.

After I ate I had a pretty good time getting lost and testing the Strom out on some of those one-lane windy roads as well. It's primarily an urban pothole/cobblestone eater, so it was nice to see what it could really do.

I accidentally found the road I took the bike on a test ride on before I bought it, rode that a ways, then accidentally found a very hilly gravel road (I blame my GPS). Tried that out for a minute (the tires were on the lower end of the tread scale), and quickly realized that if you're going to do gravel on a beast like that, you should probably have decent tread, especially with some of those hills. I stopped to let a car pass by, and upon starting again, I kinda-sorta let the bike take a no speed, gentle nap :) My bad.

Turned around back to pavement. Another day.

Stopped in Morgantown, watched some of the WVU game (which apparently sacrilege, as I go to Pitt!) and grabbed a bite, then made my way back home. Got back around 10.

Checked my tires yesterday morning out of curiosity, only to find belt showing. Oops. Before you ask, the bike is in the shop now getting new Battlewing shoes (Thanks again for the tires, Mike).

Again, nice to meet you guys. See you next time!
brokeagain is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 09:31 AM   #158
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokeagain View Post
Thanks for the invite down Mike, sorry you couldn't make it! And, nice to meet you other fellas (at Rella's... heh).

Route 20 got really fun, really quick after passing through the towns on Rt. 33 on the way to the diner.

After I ate I had a pretty good time getting lost and testing the Strom out on some of those one-lane windy roads as well. It's primarily an urban pothole/cobblestone eater, so it was nice to see what it could really do.

I accidentally found the road I took the bike on a test ride on before I bought it, rode that a ways, then accidentally found a very hilly gravel road (I blame my GPS). Tried that out for a minute (the tires were on the lower end of the tread scale), and quickly realized that if you're going to do gravel on a beast like that, you should probably have decent tread, especially with some of those hills. I stopped to let a car pass by, and upon starting again, I kinda-sorta let the bike take a no speed, gentle nap :) My bad.

Stopped in Morgantown, watched some of the WVU game (which apparently sacrilege, as I go to Pitt!) and grabbed a bite, then made my way back home. Got back around 10.

Checked my tires yesterday morning out of curiosity, only to find belt showing. Oops. Before you ask, the bike is in the shop now getting new Battlewing shoes (Thanks again for the tires, Mike).

Was nice meeting you too Sean. Wish my head was screwed on straight that day, but due to the self-inflicted anguish and worry about getting back to take care of the dogs, it wasn't. I'm sure Mike would have liked to see a pix of his former ride.

FWIW - When we go to my sisters up in St. Clairsville (OH) at Thanksgiving, the Pitt-WVU game is always on the TV. Both she and my BIL both went there (WVU)..... as did my dad and grand-dad.

Ride safe and we'll hook up again one day.
Old 09-09-2013, 12:11 PM   #159
pnoman OP
Just Average

Oddometer: 2,005
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokeagain View Post

Sean - Sorry I missed it, too. Sounds like you enjoyed your ride down Rt 20. It is one of the best rides in the state. Sorry about your "horizontal experience". Yes, when that beast reaches a certain angle, there's nothing to do but try to slow the progress. I dropped my first VStrom once at a stop, but didn't drop yours. Good thing I put the S&W engine guards on it or you might be buying a new radiator. You will be surprised how much difference new tires will make in dirt/gravel. If you're like me, though, and never rode off-road before, take it very easy. Some of the guys (and gals) on this forum can finess a GS or VStrom up a rocky path I would have a hard time walking, and make it look easy. I never reached that point. It takes lots of practice.

I might hold on to the helmet for awhile. My wife, who never wanted to ride in the 28 years we've been married, looked at the Burgman and said she thought she might like to ride on that. Hmmm......

Glad you had a good day and got to meet some of the rif-raff, I mean fellow ADV Riders.

Later - Mike
My Website - Europe, Alaska, US Bike Rides
www.RidingWV.com
pnoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 02:43 PM   #160
50bluedirt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 50
Sean, Sorry I did not invite you to tag along with Steve and I. I assumed you where in a hurry to get back home to Pittsburg. We took about an hour detour on some gravel and backroads. Ended up back on RT 20. Maybe next time. Hope Steve got Mikes sauce to him OK. Andy
50bluedirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 03:49 PM   #161
6USMC6
R.I.P. Party Boss

Oddometer: 4,437
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Young View Post
Missed you yesterday, but trust you're on the mend and will be back in the saddle shortly.

It'll be a few months Guy, but the alternative was pretty scary so I got it fixed.

"For those who fight for it life has a flavor the protected never know."
USMC 65-68 RVN 66-67
6USMC6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 05:39 PM   #162
Stedlo
Out and About

Oddometer: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by 50bluedirt View Post
Sean, Sorry I did not invite you to tag along with Steve and I. I assumed you where in a hurry to get back home to Pittsburg. We took about an hour detour on some gravel and backroads. Ended up back on RT 20. Maybe next time. Hope Steve got Mikes sauce to him OK. Andy
I figured he was wanting to get back too. Would have been great to have you along. Next time for sure.

I still have Mike's sauce Andy. It's been traveling with me everywhere. It's aging and getting mixed well. LOL.
Old 09-10-2013, 07:11 PM   #163
Grape_Ape
It Feels Good

Oddometer: 460
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnoman View Post
Glad you guys had a great day for riding. Sorry I couldn't be there. We stopped in Morgantown so I could practice organ for tomorrow, then headed up to the Brook County Fair (just north of Wheeling). I think "Fairs" should include animals, like livestock, horses, goats, pigs, chickens, bunnies, etc. This one had a small petting zoo, but the midway rides and the truck mud-bog was about it for entertainment. Oh well. Nice drive up and back through the SW Pennsylvania countryside. Stopped at "Hog Fathers BBQ" in Washington PA. Not bad, but I like Martin's BBQ in Morgantown better. Kind of a disappointing day with the fair and food, but a great day spent with the wife driving thru the pretty countryside. All in all - Great!

Ya, Brooke County Fair is pretty lame. You were in my neck of the the woods. I live about 8 miles from Hogfather's.

I wasn't home though. I was camping down at the Middle Mountain Cabins with about 15 other other guys from western PA.

Grape_Ape is offline   Reply With Quote